State of US Ladies in skating III: 2014-15 Season | Page 23 | Golden Skate

State of US Ladies in skating III: 2014-15 Season

louisa05

Final Flight
Amen sister. The term "pretty princess" once was useful as shorthand for a skater who was aggressively groomed and packaged to be deliberately, excruciatingly inoffensive. Now the term has become so misused and overused it is all but meaningless. For some people, "pretty princess" has become just a generic, snide insult to hurl at a skater one doesn't like.

Even more egregious is the sophomoric "pwetty pwincess". No, I don't think you're funny or clever when you call a skater a "pwetty pwincess". It's just annoying.

I've noticed the latest fad word is "authentic". Don't like a skater or a program, but can't or won't articulate your views? Just say they're "not authentic". Unless you know a person very well, how could you possibly know what's authentic for him or her?

I'll stop ranting now. I feel much better.

LIKE.

And yes, at least we're progressing to it being spelled correctly.

Alba

Record Breaker
Gracie's packaging is definitely Disney princess. She is being shoved into this Disney, cotton candy, spun sugar mold of femininity, which comes off as artificial. Most posters aren't complaining about her being too feminine, but too feminine in a fake manner.

I actually like Gracie very much but this is spot on.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Gracie: Still not "Golden" yet. Maybe we should call her Gracie Bronze...it's much more fitting :p. I think she's lucky she landed on the podium; both Cesario and Park out-skated her. She'll have to win NHK in order to have a shot at the Final. IDK what will happen if she misses the Final for the third year in a row.

Honestly probably nothing happens if she misses it again. The USA has no one better to push. We are deep in one sense- a lot of talented skaters- but none of them are truly elite at this time. Gracie could be maybe if she could pull it together but it appears she can't. As long as she is with Frank Caroll and there is no one clearly better to push, USFSA will keep pushing her.

I do think she SHOULD be able to win NHK- Sotnikova should be her only real competition there based on what we know right now. Maybe Murakami but not likely.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Honestly probably nothing happens if she misses it again. The USA has no one better to push. We are deep in one sense- a lot of talented skaters- but none of them are truly elite at this time. Gracie could be maybe if she could pull it together but it appears she can't. As long as she is with Frank Caroll and there is no one clearly better to push, USFSA will keep pushing her.

I do think she SHOULD be able to win NHK- Sotnikova should be her only real competition there based on what we know right now. Maybe Murakami but not likely.

I think Satoko will probably be more of a threat than Murakami. She doesn't have big jumps, but she is extremely consistent, not to mention, she has 7 triples in her LP that she has landed in exhibition and at the Japan Open.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I think Satoko will probably be more of a threat than Murakami. She doesn't have big jumps, but she is extremely consistent, not to mention, she has 7 triples in her LP that she has landed in exhibition and at the Japan Open.

Yeah but like Park at this competition I think it's highly unlikely she'll get the PCS to be able to compete with Gracie, even if Gracie implodes. IF Murakami is on, she definitely could get PCS comparable to Golds.

NMURA

Medalist
Miyahara got higher PCS than Murakami at JO. She's already named as Japan's #1. She will be THE favorite at NHK trophy Osaka. Many Americans must be uncomfortable with that but it is the reality.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Yeah but like Park at this competition I think it's highly unlikely she'll get the PCS to be able to compete with Gracie, even if Gracie implodes. IF Murakami is on, she definitely could get PCS comparable to Golds.

Satoko also has a previous medal (Silver at 4CC) that will give her a PCS boost opportunity. I don't like to say this, but probably home court advantage that everyone goes on about will stand her in good stead like Gracie had here in Skate America.
If Gracie is 100% clean she can depend on very high scores, but the same also goes for Satoko. So in my mind, since Satoko is the more dependable performer, she has a higher chance to win. --But the ice is slippery and anything could happen.

Selene

On the Ice
Frank's packaging of Gracie is what markets safely PCS-wise. It's quite obvious that Russian and East European judges dislike cheesy happy American cheerleader look, which is who this girl really is. It has never been proven to work. As Gracie is incapable of actual grace and/or actual gold-winning fierceness, pretty princess does no wrong, though it has occurred to me how huge she looks next to Liza and Elena.

Gracie is receiving high PCS scores, but I think that has more to do with her currently being the US #1 than her actual skating/programs. The programs and persona Frank has given her do not work. Her image comes across as fake and forced. She has no emotional connection to the programs she is being given. Her interpretation of "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again" is awful. It's a solemn song about loss, and Gracie portrays none of that. She skates the program expressionless or with a pageant smile that is inappropriate for the song's lyrical content plastered on her face. I didn't really like Gracie's "Shake It Off" exhibition program either, but at least you could tell that Gracie picked and liked the music she was skating to. There was an obvious connection to the music. I think that performance showcased the real Gracie, and her programs showcase Frank's outdated idea of what a female skater must be. And I'd rather see the real Gracie than this artificial image she is projecting.

espn.com

"I just feel I'm on the brink of breaking into that gold and silver medal," said Gold

The impression that I took away from Skate America was the opposite - that she was nowhere near close to competing with the Russians. Her programs and interpretation of them are awful. Her jumps are not consistent and are landed very hard. Honestly, she was lucky to place third at Skate America. I thought she deserved fifth place. Park and Cesario were way better than her.

Scovies

Final Flight
Amen sister. The term "pretty princess" once was useful as shorthand for a skater who was aggressively groomed and packaged to be deliberately, excruciatingly inoffensive. Now the term has become so misused and overused it is all but meaningless. For some people, "pretty princess" has become just a generic, snide insult to hurl at a skater one doesn't like.

I'm sorry, but I don't really buy that the "pretty princess" thing, at least as it relates to Gracie, is misogynistic. That criticism started last year when she was portraying an actual princess in her long program. Not to mention she skated to the Frozen (another story about a princess) soundtrack when she toured this summer. Remember Sandra Bezic's commentary during the Olympics? This isn't verbatim, but she said something along the lines of, "She looks just like a porcelain figurine of a figure skater in a music box." Gracie is being very deliberately packaged as the generic, inoffensive idea of what a female figure skater is supposed to be, which is exactly the way to use the term "pretty princess," according to your definition.

I've noticed the latest fad word is "authentic". Don't like a skater or a program, but can't or won't articulate your views? Just say they're "not authentic". Unless you know a person very well, how could you possibly know what's authentic for him or her?

It doesn't matter whether the type of packaging she and Frank Carroll are going for is actually authentic to her personality; it doesn't appear authentic to a lot of people (Johnny Weir included, and he's actually met her). She's got a powerful skating style and tons of speed; soft, lyrical movement don't look good on her. It doesn't look authentic when she smiles her way through a song like "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again," because it indicates she either doesn't understand the music or just has no personal connection to it.

I haven't seen her Taylor Swift exhibition yet, but if the reaction on these boards are any indication, people respond to her far more positively when she's given something more youthful and fun to work with. I feel the same way -- her competitive programs leave me cold, but I loved her "All That Jazz" EX. She comes alive and looks far more natural and comfortable with a program like that.

To me, Gracie is still ahead of the other U.S. ladies in terms of quality of movement.

Agreed. Now can someone please give her some powerful, driving music to skate to?

papa

Match Penalty
Yeah i noticed that too. What does he say when Gracie hugs Liza and Radio?
He laughed that Gracie was able to hug Elena from a floor level, almost like they were standing next to each other. :laugh: