2015 Junior Worlds Men's Short Program March 6 | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2015 Junior Worlds Men's Short Program March 6

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
To breakdown how Shoma was so far ahead of Adian:

Shoma had a 7.93 TSS lead over Adian.

From TES he had a 3.90 lead overall (0.37 in BV + 3.53 in +GOE)

In PCS he had a 4.03 lead over him (pretty evenly dispersed over all 5 criteria).

I think he received too many points for his jumps, especially no minus for the lutz. More than 11 for a 3A commands an extraordinary jump like Hanyu's. May be the entry was difficult but he has the highest score for transitions. And overall getting +1.5 points to Petrov for 3A is unfair. Well, I won't continue in order to not become like all those "analysts" looking with a magnifying glass at every edge of the Russian ladies.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I disagree with Shoma's GOEs.
I'd give him about +1 for his 3A and -1 or -.5 for his Lutz. coming to about 3 points to many on GOE's
He'd still be well in the lead, but there's no need to go over board with the scores the way the judges have.
Agree about the overall TES, though I'll give his lutz 0 (since he didn't touch down with anything, I think?) and lower the GOE for his 3F-3T instead (mix of 1s/0s, rather than the current mix of 1s/2s).

I also thought Adian deserved a bit more for his jumps, but slightly less for components (possibly putting him behind Sasha overall, but both Russians closer to Shoma than they are now). I understand why Shoma's in the lead, and there are many things to like about him, but I really don't understand the need to inflate his GOE. :confused2: Like what's happening with Evgenia in the ladies, perhaps?

apple123

On the Ice
I have to say, Shoma deserves to be in the lead, but the TES and PCS are kinda ridiculous. His jumps are not THAT good, and his interpretation is not THAT much better than the rest. We are talking about 4 points gap here. Really?

Last edited:

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
I don't agree with just how high his score is either, but to be fair, he himself plus his coach were surprised too :laugh: Not only here but after his SP at 4CC :p

Interspectator

Record Breaker
It's amazing to me how the judges can see anything after judging for 6 hours straight. It's not casual viewing or looking at the favorites, it's judging every. single. skater.

I hope they have free coffee on hand.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Oh no, Adian... :hopelessness: Well, at least it doesn't sound like a severe/permanent problem... but he'll have to figure out an alternative to the donut in the future. A shame, because it's one of the only watchable camel variations in the field... But when he's in pain like this, I'd rather not see him try the donut.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
You have a situation where you got 4 out of the top 10 who competed at 4CC or Euros...I feel there was a bit of a senior pcs boost if they skated relatively clean. This is different from past years where they were at juniors after doing senior GP because they were too young. It was different than Yu/Jin in pairs since they didn't get to do 4CC (and judges didn't really give them that much of a boost relative to Seguin/Billodeau, who had been in juniors all year.

This makes a good case for that "Don't go back to juniors if you did seniors" rule they proposed. Though on the other hand it shuts the door competition wise for skaters from smaller countries who can't qualify for Worlds...

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I don't agree with just how high his score is either, but to be fair, he himself plus his coach were surprised too :laugh: Not only here but after his SP at 4CC :p

I thought his SP score at 4CC was ridiculous too. We'll see a new JWC record tomorrow.

ArcticMonkeys

On the Ice
It is true Shoma was slightly overscored, but he absolutely deserves to be in the first place. Shoma was much better today than all the others :points:

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
although Shoma was amazing today, his marks, especially his TES and GOE's are leaving me :shocked::confused::scratch:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
You have a situation where you got 4 out of the top 10 who competed at 4CC or Euros...I feel there was a bit of a senior pcs boost if they skated relatively clean. This is different from past years where they were at juniors after doing senior GP because they were too young. It was different than Yu/Jin in pairs since they didn't get to do 4CC (and judges didn't really give them that much of a boost relative to Seguin/Billodeau, who had been in juniors all year.

This makes a good case for that "Don't go back to juniors if you did seniors" rule they proposed. Though on the other hand it shuts the door competition wise for skaters from smaller countries who can't qualify for Worlds...

Ooh, if they had that rule then over half the top 10 would be out!

Interspectator

Record Breaker
It is true Shoma was slightly overscored, but he absolutely deserves to be in the first place. Shoma was much better today than all the others :points:

Yes. Congrats Shoma. He delivered under pressure and his spins were better than ever today.
He looked more relaxed in the Choreo and Stepsequence too.
-probably due to the absence of the quad. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Other great performances for me today include:

Alexander Petrov
Daniel Samohain
Jin Seo Kim
Roman Sadovsky
Hiroaki Sato (just LOL)
James Min

Mixed feelings of love and annoyance:

Boyang Jin
Adien Pitkeev
Nathan Chen

Last edited:

rite of spring

Rinkside
Just saw the protocols.First of all nice competition.
Felt like there were a little boost in pcs overall.
And about Shoma's axel which some were talking about, the judges might have been a little generous for the goe but to be fair, it had difficult entry, good extension on landing, good flow (entry to exit), ease(effortless), and was matched to the music so that would give him 5 out of 8 bullets in the goe criteria. That would still easily make it a +2 jump. Don't think the mark he got was ridiculous imo. What do you think?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Seems JWC, like other competitions, has gone though PCS inflation. Two years ago, Josh Farris won the SP with just 34.39 PCS. Jason Brown (the actual one ha!) had the next highest at 33.34. Third highest, Shotaro Omori was 31. Six skater broke 30. Here 13 skaters got 30+ PCS.

TMC

Record Breaker
And about Shoma's axel which some were talking about, the judges might have been a little generous for the goe but to be fair, it had difficult entry, good extension on landing, good flow (entry to exit), ease(effortless), and was matched to the music so that would give him 5 out of 8 bullets in the goe criteria. That would still easily make it a +2 jump. Don't think the mark he got was ridiculous imo. What do you think?

I'm perfectly okay with his 3A goe.

HanDomi

Record Breaker

That's the way how you look at this. If we talk only about competitiors here, he deserved for this 3A at best +2. But when you compare this 3A to 3A of Hanyu from much more difficult entry, transitions out of it, much higher, much longer and better landing, and you will see he is getting the same GOE as Hanyu for his 3A then I have a little headache :scratch:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Ooh, if they had that rule then over half the top 10 would be out!

The junior men's field would be a whole lot smaller too. But as I said I could see why that rule was voted down, it really limits opportunities for smaller countries.

juuryokunashi

On the Ice

I agree with the +2GOE on his 3A (though I was really shocked to see it because they seldom give such high +GOEs unless the skater's got the OOflation thing going for him/her), because jump height is only one of the eight bullets to consider when giving GOEs.