Adam Rippon 'lets go of doubt' | Golden Skate

Adam Rippon 'lets go of doubt'

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
USA's Adam Rippon had a season filled with ups and downs last year, however, he came through in the end and that's what he's most proud of. [More]

While there are no new elements planned for this upcoming season, Rippon would like to be able to have both the quad toe and quad Lutz in his free skate.

LRK

Record Breaker
Thanks for the great article! Wishing Adam the best for the upcoming season - and good luck for his next competiton. :)

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Thanks for finding and sharing the backstage video. Looks like everyone had a great time and it probably makes all those long practice hours worthwhile to get such amazing opportunities. Why can't we get such a stellar international cast at US ice shows?

noskates

Record Breaker
Have always loved Adam and his skating. Not sure about the platinum hair :rolleye::rolleye:

It seems though that every year he has an epiphany but when he steps on the ice he chokes. I hope his performance at Nats this past year is a sign of the future and that he can put his struggles behind him.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I realize it was a long time ago. But, how does such a great champion like Adam, a skater with 2 World Championships behind him, begin to doubt himself? It's so hard to win your first Worlds and I could see him having doubts about repeating. But, once that happened, it's hard to see how he could let doubt creep in. Remember his win at 4CC? He's clearly one of the most talented skaters and by the way, he has a fantastic coach. His ducks are all in a row and I hope he never doubts himself again.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I realize it was a long time ago. But, how does such a great champion like Adam, a skater with 2 World Championships behind him, begin to doubt himself? It's so hard to win your first Worlds and I could see him having doubts about repeating. But, once that happened, it's hard to see how he could let doubt creep in. Remember his win at 4CC? He's clearly one of the most talented skaters and by the way, he has a fantastic coach. His ducks are all in a row and I hope he never doubts himself again.

Because Senior competition is not Juniors.

noskates, you get a big :thumbsup: from me.

aromaticchicken

On the Ice

Hahahahaha have you seen some of the nasty things people say in this forum about skaters who aren't even old enough to drive or drink?

If I were a skater who felt insecure about my abilities, struggled with nerves, and had random internet strangers trashing me, I would probably begin doubt myself too :p

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Success is a funny thing. Just because you've been successful in the past, or are currently successful, does not guarantee you will be successful tomorrow, next month, or next year. No amount of training or mental preparation can assure you of that with any certainty, but you can try your best. Becoming a champion can make it more difficult, as there's nowhere to go but down... unless you can be a champion every day, all the time. Each season (or event) is another test, which is especially unnerving in a sport that highly favors youth.

If I were a skater who felt insecure about my abilities, struggled with nerves, and had random internet strangers trashing me, I would probably begin doubt myself too :p

That seems hard to fathom, that Adam would allow 'random internet strangers' to completely derail his performances and career. I would think he'd have far more important things to do than scour the internet, looking for people talking 'smack' about him. Any athlete, public performer, or individual who shares their work/passion with the rest of the world will receive all sorts of feedback. Just remember the quote, "If everybody loves you, something is wrong." ;)

I'm not sure the world stage is the best place for someone who "feels insecure about their abilities and struggles with nerves". Those are things to be worked on -- easier said than done, obviously. How many true champions do you know that are always crumbling under the slightest bit of pressure and constantly appear insecure/nervous?

aromaticchicken

On the Ice
Success is a funny thing. Just because you've been successful in the past, or are currently successful, does not guarantee you will be successful tomorrow, next month, or next year. No amount of training or mental preparation can assure you of that with any certainty, but you can try your best. Becoming a champion can make it more difficult, as there's nowhere to go but down... unless you can be a champion every day, all the time. Each season (or event) is another test, which is especially unnerving in a sport that highly favors youth.

That seems hard to fathom, that Adam would allow 'random internet strangers' to completely derail his performances and career. I would think he'd have far more important things to do than scour the internet, looking for people talking 'smack' about him. Any athlete, public performer, or individual who shares their work/passion with the rest of the world will receive all sorts of feedback. Just remember the quote, "If everybody loves you, something is wrong." ;)

I'm not sure the world stage is the best place for someone who "feels insecure about their abilities and struggles with nerves". Those are things to be worked on -- easier said than done, obviously. How many true champions do you know that are always crumbling under the slightest bit of pressure and constantly appear insecure/nervous?
Well, isn't that why Adam isn't considered a "true champion" and instead a headcase?

I agree he needs to pay no mind, but that is often easier said than done. Sabinfire, I look at how much you care when people do or don't comment on/criticize your videos, I'm sure Adam can't help but to feel the same way when people comment on/criticize his skating.

It's kind of like people who say that minorities or gay people should just ignore when people say racist or homophobic things to them. Well, uh, yes they should ignore the haters, but that doesn't mean it makes it any easier.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I agree he needs to pay no mind, but that is often easier said than done. Sabinfire, I look at how much you care when people do or don't comment on/criticize your videos, I'm sure Adam can't help but to feel the same way when people comment on/criticize his skating.

It's kind of like people who say that minorities or gay people should just ignore when people say racist or homophobic things to them. Well, uh, yes they should ignore the haters, but that doesn't mean it makes it any easier.

I wouldn't say it is like that at all. There is a difference between hate/bigotry in comparison to criticism/feedback. (I'm not sure which specific 'nasty things' you are referring to in reference to skaters.)

I appreciate all feedback on my videos, and I'd rather have someone watch, 'dislike' it, and post a snarky remark -- over simply doing nothing at all. Any reaction that triggers viewer engagement is a good thing, as far as I'm concerned.

noskates

Record Breaker
Well I seriously doubt that Adam Rippon reads this board. In fact, I honestly hope no championship level skater reads this board.

Having said that, I think Adam's early successes raised his expectations and a few bad skates just destroyed his confidence. I really thought his silver medal at Nats would take him into Worlds with a lot of confidence. He just always seems on the verge of breaking through but never quite seems to make it. It's almost like Jeremy Abbot is at the international competitions. But I also feel that the older you get the more pressure there is to perform. When you're young you just go out and skate. As you get older you've got people pulling you in different directions, maybe funding is an issue, getting representation, changing coaches always looking for that magic, picking out the right music, you're in demand for shows in the off-season, and so many other demands on your time. It starts getting to be a job instead of a sport. Some people have the support structures and the strength to deal with all that - some people don't. I don't know Adam personally obviously, but something changed between juniors and seniors and he just never has been able to recover.

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Really, is that your answer? Well, that doesn't explain or say anything. Are you joking, or mocking me? What's your point?

Adam has said it himself in one of his interviews. He picked up skating skills very quickly. And he progressed very quickly. And he had great success. Very quickly.

When he got to Seniors, the level of competition went up, particularly in terms of technical demands. In juniors at the time he was competing, you didn't see all that many junior men performing quads and 3A3Ts and the like. But that has been increasingly the case since Adam moved up to Seniors. And as a result he wasn't the immediate success that he was in juniors. (Now this is what I remember from some interview or other. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me.)

That kind of situation can play havoc with anyone's self-confidence. You can start to wonder if your previous success was either a fluke, or that you peaked early. And I can tell you from reading extensively in cognitive psychology, that kind of thinking can be very difficult to change once it becomes a pattern.

I hope that clears everything up for you.

ETA: This is pretty much what noskates said above. I agree with him/her completely.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
One thing with Adam that was a bit of a concern last season, and YMMV, is that I feel his motivation is very much about "proving people wrong." I felt at Nationals, that his performance and energy was very much of "You all counted me out! I want to you wrong." Now that can work to some extent, but it's not a sustaining strategy as far as consistent performance.

I'm hoping that what he says in the article is true -- that he is going to perform well because he trusts the training and work he puts in.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
One thing with Adam that was a bit of a concern last season, and YMMV, is that I feel his motivation is very much about "proving people wrong." I felt at Nationals, that his performance and energy was very much of "You all counted me out! I want to you wrong." Now that can work to some extent, but it's not a sustaining strategy as far as consistent performance.

I'm hoping that what he says in the article is true -- that he is going to perform well because he trusts the training and work he puts in.

I think he actually stated in the post-FS presser that he felt people had counted him out, that he wanted to prove them wrong, and that he now felt like a winner.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think he actually stated in the post-FS presser that he felt people had counted him out, that he wanted to prove them wrong, and that he now felt like a winner.

As I said, I'm hoping that perhaps his own self-confidence will sustain him, but it seemed last season it was very much about others (namely proving others wrong) then inner drive.

noskates

Record Breaker
Good observation Mrs. P. I think the skating community counts pretty much everyone out that doesn't keep improving. Mirai comes to mind. PLEASE, not wanting to start a discussion about her - just using her as an example. I think Ricky Dornbush is another good example really. He's so talented and can do so well at times and then chokes in competition. I saw him in an exhibition show and he was spot-on. Landing everything in sight and looking great in the process. But......

Adam is 25 years old. He doesn't have much time left to prove himself. I'd hazard a guess and say this better be the year! Fortunately he's a fairly decent choreographer so will have that to look forward to if he chooses. I hope he does well.