Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 130 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

gkelly

Record Breaker
There would have to be a change of edge, which under the current rules would make it a sequence not a combination.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does anyone know why Maddie Aaron & Max Settlage were not @ Cup of China? They were originally listed to skate @ that competition. I hope all is well for them!

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Does anyone know why Maddie Aaron & Max Settledge were not @ Cup of China? They were originally listed to skate @ that competition. I hope all is well for them!

Max S had a back injury and they had to withdraw. I believe they are scheduled for a Senior B in the coming weeks, so hopefully he is fully recovered.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Max S had a back injury and they had to withdraw. I believe they are scheduled for a Senior B in the coming weeks, so hopefully he is fully recovered.

Oh, :thank: They are my current favorite US pairs team, and I hope they'll be totally fine by US Nationals!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Does anyone know why Maddie Aaron & Max Settlage were not @ Cup of China? They were originally listed to skate @ that competition. I hope all is well for them!

Maddie/Max are scheduled to compete at Tallinn Trophy (a Challenger comp), which is next week.

Go, Maddie and Max! :yay:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Happy Tuesday Everyone,

I have a question about practice sessions at the GP Events. If an event happens to be on "Home Ice" are skaters allowed to get to the arena early to get acclimated to the Ice? Since Mae didn't have an event last week, was she able to practice in the arena all week in preparation for this event? It would seem to me that it would be similar to a "Home Football Game" and that Mae has been on the Ice all week. Is that so?

Does the ISU have a rule that deals with home ice advantage?

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
I have a question about practice sessions at the GP Events. If an event happens to be on "Home Ice" are skaters allowed to get to the arena early to acclimated to Ice?

I've never heard of local skaters being able practice on the competition ice before the official practices at international events.

For events that held in large arenas that also host other sports and entertainment productions, ice may not even exist until the first day of practices. The local organizing committee rents the arena for the duration of the competition. Even if the previous event was hockey and there was ice down, that ice would not be available to the figure skating competition before the period of their contract with the venue. I have no idea if the arena owner or the hockey team whose home arena it was would be willing to sell ice time to an individual skater or skating club in down times between their own games and practices, but it seems unlikely.

The only mention of practices in the Grand Prix announcement refer to "the first official practice." I think it's a good bet that the previous day there would be no ice at all or none available to figure skaters.

Less important (senior B or lower) competitions often take place in smaller arenas or local rinks with permanent ice, that may also be used as figure skating training facilities between public events. In that case, skaters who actually train there would already be familiar with the venue.

If the event is important enough the ice might get remade to remove hockey markings and paint an event logo under the ice.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Thanks for the response gkelly. This brings me to my next question. How long does it take for an Arena like the "Staple Center" here in California to make ice ? We have an Arena here if Fresno/Clovis called "The Savemart Center" which hosts Basketball Games and Big Concerts. I believe it was Stars On Ice that came to town when Sasha was with them and she was on TV every 10 minutes. :agree:

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
I know I've seen articles in local papers about making the ice for events like U.S. Nationals, which also is held in large arenas without ice most of the time.

All I could find in my first searches were articles about the Olympics, where there are several venues specially built that are in use for 2+ weeks and figure skating shares ice time with short-track speedskating, and about local rinks.

This video might give some insight. I can't listen to it at work.

concorde

Medalist
I was told that some venues (verizon center in dc) make the ice once for the season. They then cover it up for non-ice skating events that are held during the hockey season. Not sure how true this is but looking at the current verizon center calendar of events, I think that is accurate.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was told that some venues (verizon center in dc) make the ice once for the season. They then cover it up for non-ice skating events that are held during the hockey season. Not sure how true this is but looking at the current verizon center calendar of events, I think that is accurate.

There are exceptions but yes they usually only make the ice once a season. The ice crew will however take the ice depth down to half an inch or less at times and then build up after an event has left. This puts less stress on the compressors that cool the ice and lowers the buildings maintenance costs to keep the ice cold during non ice events like concerts.

During non ice events they lay down a temporary surface on top of the ice that is about 1 inch thick. It's assembled like a jigsaw puzzle. Once the crew removes the temporary floor the driver then shears the top of the ice to remove dirt and then begins to rebuild the ice levels.

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I don't know how many venues "make" ice fresh for skating events. My understanding was that the norm was to just keep the ice frozen and cover it with the alternative floring.

time lapse here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_4FqmEOVb0

This actually makes sense as this way you do not have to spend the energy to freeze the water each time, and you don't have to deal with pumping in and out liquid water.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Let's take Boston for example. Even though the Bruins play at the same venue...they are going to have to cut the ice down until all of the hockey paint for goal crease, offsides, face offs, etc...are cut out. That will be to around 1/4 of an inch or so. They will then have to repaint the the ice white and then add the ISU Logos then rebuild it back up. This has to happen at all GP and Nationals events that take place here in the U.S. at venues that already have ice. Barcelona seems like an interesting case where they bring in the entire rink into an expo center. NHK last year seemed interesting because of that diving board which indicates that that was also another rink that was brought in from scratch.