Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 142 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

deedee1

Record Breaker
Yes, please do so, Imagine if you have time. :) I love Polina's twizzle, too. it goes so well with the music and highlight her elegance. :love:

Mao Asada and Carolina Kostner also come to my mind among ladies who are good at twizzles.
though it's not a competitive program, I love this one so much, : Mao's Chopin Ballade EX https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x4Hm9d0Bo4
-> a set of twizzles to both directions with both feet from 1:22 is heavenly! :love:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Hello everyone. I have a question for you. After seeing Grant Hochstein skate so well at NHK, I wanted to know a bit more about him. Well, it turns out he's dating Caroline Zhang. Here's my question. Is Caroline still competing? If not, I sure would like to see someone add a pearl spin to their program. I realize it takes extreme flexibility but aren't there a lot of flexible skaters. I imagine Yulia could do a good pearl spin.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Hello everyone. I have a question for you. After seeing Grant Hochstein skate so well at NHK, I wanted to know a bit more about him. Well, it turns out he's dating Caroline Zhang. Here's my question. Is Caroline still competing? If not, I sure would like to see someone add a pearl spin to their program. I realize it takes extreme flexibility but aren't there a lot of flexible skaters. I imagine Yulia could do a good pearl spin.

Mirai Nagasu has a beautiful pearl spin in her program.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Ok people. We were discussing what the plural to Grand Prix might be. I'd like to know how you feel about the word "Texted." I hate it and don't think it's a word. However, my students use it all the time. For example: "I texted her and she said......" Is texed a word in the new dictionary?

Wouldn't it be, "I sent her a text?" I don't know. I can't keep up with you youngin's and your new fangled words. ;)

My pet peeve is "impacted." her fall on the triple Lutz negatively impacted her total element score. (What is it, a wisdom tooth? :) )

Affected. The fall negatively affected the score. ;)

Weird one: any great/top female skaters, who had mediocre/bad junior careers? :biggrin:

Shizuka Arakawa wasn't bad (three-time Japanese junior national champion) but she finished 8th, 7th and 8th at her three goes at Junior Worlds.

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
My pet peeve is "impacted." her fall on the triple Lutz negatively impacted her total element score. (What is it, a wisdom tooth? :) )

Affected. The fall negatively affected the score. ;)
One of the definitions of impact is to have an influence or effect on or to alter. Using it in the above manner is correct.

mrrice

Record Breaker
One of the definitions of impact is to have an influence or effect on or to alter. Using it in the above manner is correct.

The use of impact singular is correct. The fall had a negative impact on an otherwise strong program. The fall impacted the rest of the program is not correct.

One of the definitions of impact is to have an influence or effect on or to alter.

I have lived too long if "impact" has snuck up on me and become a verb while I was looking the other way. :laugh:

Actually, I think this happened back in the 1970s when people took a sudden interest in protecting the environment. Everyone had to write an "Environmental Impact Statement" before embarking on any big building project. No one really knew how to do it, so many pages of verbiage were generated to comply with new government regulations. Bureaucrats started saying (the language went nicely with the notion of an "Impact Statement") things like, "This dam will impact the nesting habits of the long-necked crane."

Instead of, "The dam will affect the nesting habits." Hey, this isn't an Environmental Effect Statement, peeps.

(As always, I reserve the right to be wrong, just in case anyone can bring in some quotes misusing the so-called verb "to impact" in this way before 1970. :) )

I know, I know. Old people die. Young people talk how they want to. Language evolves. :)

To Mrrice. I think the reason that "Texted" jars the ear so much is that the word "text" already ends in a "t" sound, like a past tense. Today I tex, yesterday I texed (pronounced "text.") :laugh:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I have lived too long if "impact" has snuck up on me and become a verb while I was looking the other way. :laugh: ...

I too hate "impact" as a verb. :ddevil:

And don't get me started on how much I hate the adjectival "impactful." :dev2:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Hello skating people, it's question time again. I know this may sound strange and not very romantic however, I wanted to know if a Dance or Pair Team has ever done a "Break Up" program? I must admit to using this song for one my students competitive dances. It actually wound being one of my all time favorite programs ( For all the wrong reasons ) Every time we'd win, I'd get this evil look on my face.

Separate Ways by Journey: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LatorN4P9aA

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Hello skating people, it's question time again. I know this may sound strange and not very romantic however, I wanted to know if a Dance or Pair Team has ever done a "Break Up" program? I must admit to using this song for one my students competitive dances. It actually wound being one of my all time favorite programs ( For all the wrong reasons ) Every time we'd win, I'd get this evil look on my face.

Separate Ways by Journey: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LatorN4P9aA

Tanith Belbin and Ben Agosto did an exhibition to Bleeding Love which I discovered via their interview with TSL (which is a great and long interview, btw). It involves a break up letter.

Srin Odessa

On the Ice
Weird one: any great/top female skaters, who had mediocre/bad junior careers? :biggrin:

Carolina Kostner had an unremarkable junior career until the 2002–03 season. That's when she she started to actually make the podium and even won bronze at junior worlds. She also had a difficult time transitioning into seniors because of injuries and the new scoring system.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I don't know how many of you have been looking at the Predictions thread and Event thread for this weekend's British Championships.

But, in case you missed the news, 2 time British Champion Zoe Jones is making her comeback at the age of 35.

That started me wondering a couple of things.

Firstly, who is the oldest Ladies skater who is still competing internationally?

Now that Fumie Suguri has retired, there is no obvious name that comes to mind.

Getting back to Zoe, and it is 14 years since she last competed in the British Championships (that was the year when she successfully retained her title).

So, can anybody think of any other skaters that have made a comeback after being away for that long?

The sport has changed a lot in the past 14 years. But for nostalgia's sake, I hope Zoe gets a decent result!

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Carolina Kostner is making a comeback, she says.

She will be 29 this February.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolina_Kostner

Oh, please don't tell me Caro will be the oldest lady on the international circuit when she comes back! :eek:

It doesn't seem that long ago that she was that cute wee 15 year old that was wowing us at Europeans in 2003!

No, I don't want to think about that possibility!

Surely there must be somebody in their 30's... :drama:

CaroLiza_fan