Happy Feet : Skating Skills Discussion | Golden Skate

Happy Feet : Skating Skills Discussion

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Let's share and discuss some skaters who have those happy feet that make us gush :)

First person that comes to my mind is a guy who has blistering speed and commanding power. He knows how to ring up a good score and work his way into your heart at the same time. His skating skills display a mastery over the ice while stoking the creative fires in your mind. Alright....enough cheese.

Daisuke Takahashi

Last edited:

TangoTraumatica

On the Ice
Kurt Browning! His show program with his guards on is terrifying to watch and seriously entertaining. Some of the best foorwork in the business.

noskates

Record Breaker
Definitely Kurt Browning. His footwork was always amazing. And actually, Alexei Yagudin had amazing feet. Saw an exhibition or show program he did not long ago and he still has it!

acronycal0730

Rinkside
Definitely Patrick Chan! :luv17: His skating skill is simply the best, flying across the ice effortlessly. I had the luck to see him live at 2016 4CC, his skating is just memorable!

Globetrotter

Medalist
PChan, Alexei Yagudin among the guys. Special mention to Dai Takahashi - his SS is not that great technically but his expressiveness and interpretive ability on the StSq is second to none. Among ladies, the peerless one is Yuka Sato and then Midori Ito - former for her quietness of the blades and effortless edge work, ease of speed; latter for power and lean and multidirectional skates whose SS is overlooked due to her big jumps. In more recent period, Caro K has the strongest SS and edge work. I put her over Mao as she can reach much greater speed and power.

gkelly

Record Breaker
When I think "happy feet" I think quick footwork.

When I think "skating skills" I think more of edges and glide.

Sometimes they go together, sometimes a skater is good at one of the above and less good at the other.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

Sometimes they go together, sometimes a skater is good at one of the above and less good at the other.

Exactly what I've been thinking as I started reading this thread.

Two most memorable happy feet sequences that did not display the highest level of skating skills are Yagudin's Winter and Candeloro's D'Artagnan. :love: both.

cl2

Final Flight

Can we expand the definition of "happy feet" to deftness and nimbleness, and not limited to just quick?

desertskates

Medalist
Tomas Verner, in his Dueling Banjos short, had some of the happiest feet I can think of. Or maybe it's just him that makes me happy :luv17: