Users' social networks | Golden Skate

Users' social networks

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Just thought we needed this thread :p We know so little about the members of GS.:) Could put the links here and add each other.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Not sure about this.

On the one hand, I can see how it would be a good thing so that we could keep in contact outside of the forum. I'm already connected with a few members, and there are some others that I would like to add, but I keep forgetting to ask them!

BUT, then there is the privacy aspect. If you post your contact details in a thread in Le Café, anybody can see it. Not just forum members. So, you are opening yourself up to the possibility of all sorts of weirdos and spammers contacting you.

If we were to have a thread like this, it would need to be in part of the forum where only members could access it. And, at the moment, the only part of the forum that is like that is the "Announcements and Feedback" forum.

Personally, I think the best way of doing it is the current method - sending a PM to the person you want to add and asking them if they would like to become connected.

But, that is just my opinion.

CaroLiza_fan

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Not sure about this.

On the one hand, I can see how it would be a good thing so that we could keep in contact outside of the forum. I'm already connected with a few members, and there are some others that I would like to add, but I keep forgetting to ask them!

BUT, then there is the privacy aspect. If you post your contact details in a thread in Le Café, anybody can see it. Not just forum members. So, you are opening yourself up to the possibility of all sorts of weirdos and spammers contacting you.

If we were to have a thread like this, it would need to be in part of the forum where only members could access it. And, at the moment, the only part of the forum that is like that is the "Announcements and Feedback" forum.

Personally, I think the best way of doing it is the current method - sending a PM to the person you want to add and asking them if they would like to become connected.

But, that is just my opinion.

CaroLiza_fan

You might be right:think::) Didn't see spammers here before.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
That's because we prevent them from posting or PMing GS members, but they can view pages. And if there is an email or facebook address, they could find it and use it.

It is best to share contact info by PM.

Last edited:

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
That's because we prevent them from posting or PMing GS members, but they can view pages. And if there is an email or facebook address, they could find it and use it.

It is best to share contact info by PM.
How about just a photo thread full of selfies and just random pix of our lives? Not necessary with your own face, might be something funny you have seen and snapped, somewhat stylish, or just something from own training/travels. Like our collective forum Instagram account but in a form of thread on this forum. You can make bbcode tag

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
No, we can't make img codes available by thread. But you can always post a link to a photo you have on a website like photobucket. A thread like that would be fun.

Last edited:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Well if anyone wants to be Instagram buddies, I'm down. Send me a PM. :)

Granted, my account is just comprised of a lot of photos of my daughter, my dog, and me and my synchro team. :laugh: Sometimes my husband shows up on there too, but he hates getting his picture taken.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'd be willing to share my Instagram account with a a few people on GS. If you are interested just PM me :)

I don't really FB very often so that would be pointless.

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
Bought a cool coffee table with a gigantic touchscreen. So.. I can read all your posts on a big screen. :) Now I need something higtechy sophisticated for my bathroom as well. :blush:

h36icaig.jpg

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
So, I have been traveling a bit last month. Apparently I'm famous, see they name bars after me. It was closed tho.

saqpcrfm.jpg

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Bought a cool coffee table with a gigantic touchscreen. So.. I can read all your posts on a big screen. :) Now I need something higtechy sophisticated for my bathroom as well. :blush:

h36icaig.jpg

That's an amazing piece of tech, but you might want to consider a removable glass top to put over it when not in use. I am Mr Klutz and lord knows I've trashed a number of keyboards by spilling cups of coffee/tea in the wrong place.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
http://koreanskaters.tumblr.com/
a shameless plug
LOL my blog dedicated for Korean skaters. I'm not that active with it due to school commitments.
I still need to update about Skate Korea and Skate America. That's how behind I am. :laugh:

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
That's an amazing piece of tech, but you might want to consider a removable glass top to put over it when not in use. I am Mr Klutz and lord knows I've trashed a number of keyboards by spilling cups of coffee/tea in the wrong place.

It's for work mostly. I have to work with countless huge architectural plans. I trashed and spilled on them all kind of bevarages known to human race. So, simple touchscreen with pinch zoom-in/out and finger scrolls helps a lot. We saving the planet by wasting less paper, and using more digital tech. It's a blow to Finland's economy, I know. :( This coffee table is nothing really complicated, just regular touchscreen monitor inbuilt into coffeetable, I just connect my work laptop or tablet/iPad to it. It really simple tech nowdays, not very expensive at all. Just a price of big touchscreen and some labor to carpenter to make nice table/frame around. :)

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
It's for work mostly. I have to work with countless huge architectural plans. I trashed and spilled on them all kind of bevarages known to human race. So, simple touchscreen with pinch zoom-in/out and finger scrolls helps a lot. We saving the planet by wasting less paper, and using more digital tech. It's a blow to Finland's economy, I know. :( This coffee table is nothing really complicated, just regular touchscreen monitor inbuilt into coffeetable, I just connect my work laptop or tablet/iPad to it. It really simple tech nowdays, not very expensive at all. Just a price of big touchscreen and some labor to carpenter to make nice table/frame around. :)

A very good friend of mine is an architect and I have spent quite a few hours chatting to him while he works on CAD. Or whatever the program is called. I should show him this thread!

It would be a rather odd way to view skating on a computer, like you're looking down from the cheap seats in an arena. But cheap seats with a zoom lens!

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
How about just a photo thread full of selfies and just random pix of our lives? Not necessary with your own face, might be something funny you have seen and snapped, somewhat stylish, or just something from own training/travels. Like our collective forum Instagram account but in a form of thread on this forum. You can make bbcode tag available in this thread. Max resolution 800 width, no need for hd photos. Local social FS friend social feed. Something you want to share, upto you to decide how much private you want to share: selfie, own culinary masterpieces, food pr0n, vacation shot or just sunset shot with your own silhouette & etc. For laughs, brags and giggles obviously.[/QUOTE]

Your idea is not bad, Alexz. Indeed, I have posted pics of myself and shared a few things about my wife and I, but in the main, you will not see that from many of these forum participants. They will not put much in their bio and wont put where they are from. Or even their sex. I think one reason is that while many of us have friends here we converse with on social media, this forum isnt about closeness and there are many who would like to keep it that way for themselves, especially young ladies, I would think. And there is nothing wrong with that. I am on forums that are the complete opposite, too. On one, We all know when someone's back is going out, and its a motorcycle forum. I personally take a very few admired and respected friends and relatives on Facebook. Very few. And some are on this forum. And I have met every one personally. I am not much of a social media butterfly. Sometimes, I think when the fireworks fly here people DONT want to know the other participants as people! :laugh:

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
Your idea is not bad, Alexz. Indeed, I have posted pics of myself and shared a few things about my wife and I, but in the main, you will not see that from many of these forum participants. They will not put much in their bio and wont put where they are from. Or even their sex. I think one reason is that while many of us have friends here we converse with on social media, this forum isnt about closeness and there are many who would like to keep it that way for themselves, especially young ladies, I would think. And there is nothing wrong with that. I am on forums that are the complete opposite, too. On one, We all know when someone's back is going out, and its a motorcycle forum. I personally take a very few admired and respected friends and relatives on Facebook. Very few. And some are on this forum. And I have met every one personally. I am not much of a social media butterfly. Sometimes, I think when the fireworks fly here people DONT want to know the other participants as people! [emoji23]
But off coarse we can not overshare and allow people some privacy or in other words to hide under anonymity of the web... =) A random photo of a sunset, a dish recently cooked, a pet owned or similar will do too. At least we can learn something more about one another, you know. We can see how diversified we are on this forum, yet we can learn we still have a lot of things to share in common. Perhaps people would stop arguing without purpose or would at least consider to do so in more proper manner? Just my silly hope. Cauz, I know I'm guilty too. =)

Last edited:

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
I was a bit sceptical about punctuality and precision of the good old Big Ben at first. ;)

45spg7vv.jpg