2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating | Page 107 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
With the understanding that we do not know whether Gracie even would want to compete at Nats:

My belated thanks to Moxiejan for posting the full text from the rulebook for us :thank:.

FWIW, will mention a sentence from AP's story today that raised my eyebrows.

"She will still be eligible to compete at nationals even though she is skipping her Grand Prix assignments."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...3533f6-b064-11e7-9b93-b97043e57a22_story.html (Oct 13)​

I suppose it's always possible for USFS to update the handbook with a clarification that "to the same event" means "to the same event in which Olympic participation occurred, in the case of a team medal."

We can call it "The Gracie Rule."

Really, I think any USFS senior champion should get a Nationals bye for 3-4 years.

Icey

Record Breaker
I agree. They're seeming lack of respect for the time, money, and hard work that these skaters endure just to get themselves ready for the Olympic Season. IMO, It's something they should applaud regardless of a skaters program.

I've been looking for this clip and finally found it. It's Nicole Bobek........ I feel like she took the words right out of my mouth when says.........I'd see a group of friends laughing and having fun and I'd get so jealous......That's the life these skaters lead and I wish TSL would do a feature on that. When I was in school, I didn't go to a single dance or attend a football game. It wasn't until college that I really did any extra curricular activities. Here's Nicole....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgfcohSFIOE

No skater should go that route, especially considering the odds they will be one of the chosen ones, and they really do have some say in the matter. Skaters like Rachael Flatt, for example, chose a more balanced life, attending a regular school, etc.

Icey

Record Breaker
The articles about Gracie's treatment say she is being treated for eating disorder, depression and anxiety. The USFSA calls that off-ice matters. LMAO:sarcasm:

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
The articles about Gracie's treatment say she is being treated for eating disorder, depression and anxiety. The USFSA calls that off-ice matters. LMAO:sarcasm:

So then...... are figure skating jumps also "off-ice matters"? :cool14:

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Gracie Gold has withdrew from both her Grand Prixs. https://twitter.com/cbrennansports/status/918963549917114368 incredibly sad and wish her the best.

Gracie Gold Withdraws from Grand Prix (Source: USFSA http://www.usfigureskating.org/story?id=90945&type=media)

:( Sending Gracie all my best for a full recovery, prayers and healing energies!

I don't care what anyone says that 3A cascade sequence is GORGEOUS! I've watched it a ton of times already! :love:

Here's Mirai's 2A-1/2R-3F from her IG Story: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x64gwqb

LRK

Record Breaker
Makes you wonder if she's going to put the 3A in the short program and two 3As in the free!

Didn't she say in an interview that she wanted to do two 3As in the free? I can't recall when & where she said it, so hopefully it wasn't only my imagination - maybe someone with a better memory could confirm (or correct)?:)

frida80

Record Breaker
Didn't she say in an interview that she wanted to do two 3As in the free? I can't recall when & where she said it, so hopefully it wasn't only my imagination - maybe someone with a better memory could confirm (or correct)?:)

At the summit. She said when she got more comfortable with the 3A she would consider replacing her 3F+3T with a 3A+2T. The points are nearly identical.

johnsmith72

On the Ice
At the summit. She said when she got more comfortable with the 3A she would consider replacing her 3F+3T with a 3A+2T. The points are nearly identical.

I'm really hoping she does not do that. The long triple axel preparation will make the beginning of the program look very empty. I really did not like when Mao Asada did 2 triple axels to begin her long program during some seasons. But, I trust Mirai's judgement to make the right call with the opening jumping passes and am looking forward to see her land a completely clean positive GOE triple axel soon

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
More than any jump, the thing that impresses me about Mirai this year is her confidence. There's a spark I haven't seen from her in a long time.

Tulipstar

Medalist
It would be totally awesome if Mirai can do two clean triple axels. Perhaps sticlick to one for a few competitions and then surprise everyone when it really counts.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
I'm really hoping she does not do that. The long triple axel preparation will make the beginning of the program look very empty. I really did not like when Mao Asada did 2 triple axels to begin her long program during some seasons. But, I trust Mirai's judgement to make the right call with the opening jumping passes and am looking forward to see her land a completely clean positive GOE triple axel soon

My dream is that Mirai nails a clean 3A in the BONUS! :love: She does need to up those transitions though in between the jumps, as well as improve other aspects to boost that PCS score!

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
SHE IS ON FIRE

:dance3: :clap: :hap57: :hap93: :yes2:

Is this element even possible in competition? What score is it worth?

Edited: A 4-jump combo isn't allowed, but i don't think it would score any higher than if the 3rd & 4th jumps were added to other triples. And thus cuts down on how many combos can be done in other jumping passes. But certainly would draw attention (in exhibition) & set her apart, which is never a bad thing.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
It would be totally awesome if Mirai can do two clean triple axels. Perhaps sticlick to one for a few competitions and then surprise everyone when it really counts.

My only worry is that, whether she does 0 or 2 triple axels, she still has to rotate most everything else to make the team. The loss in BV from downgrades and URs cannot be made up fully by adding more difficulty.