Skating Pet Peeves & Moves You Dislike | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skating Pet Peeves & Moves You Dislike

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Since men are whom I follow most:

Butt spins... the last refuge of the non-spinner.:disapp:

Artistic choreo works wonderfully if you are an artistic skater. Jason, Deniss, Elladj, Misha, they can pull off hand gestures. Others, not so much. But I can't think of any "gestures" which truly annoy me as a gesture, only in a skater who can't handle it:scratch2:

Yet, if it's a skater I like, I will even forgive them the butt spin:laugh:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I hate the "mystery" position in pairs lifts. And I'm not a big fan of the spread leg one where the man holds the girls legs apart above his head in the splits but upsidedown. They just aren't nice to look at IMO.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist

geige

On the Ice
One of my big ones is badly done three jump combos, especially when its with a top senior lady doing a 3-2-2 and the speed just dies, especially when Evgenia does this because her technique is SO GOOD most of the time. Anoth r example is I remmember seeing a lot of this at jgpf

Ugh I hate -2T-2T combinations because they look so labored. Mao’s -2Lo-2Lo combos were to die for :love:
I also dislike -2A sequences like in Gabby’s free. It looks like there’s not enough momentum to do the 2A so she seems to have trouble with it a lot.

Oops this thread probably wasn’t meant for jumps sorry

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Jewellry.

Nobody should be allowed onto the ice if they are wearing jewellry. It can be so dangerous!

Say for some reason it comes off and falls on the ice. If you don't know where it is and your blade subsequently hits it, that is you straight down.

Even if it stays on you it can be dangerous. Imagine if a necklace or a bracelet gets caught on your skate during a Biellmann. With the bracelet, it could do some serious damage to your wrist trying to pull it free. But, with a necklace, it could conceivably strangle you.

As I have mentioned a few times on here, I do Ju-Jitsu. And you are not allowed to wear jewellry there because it can be dangerous if something goes wrong. So, I can't understand why it is tolerated in figure skating.

I know that cheerknithanson feels the same when she sees skaters wearing jewellry. So, I'm not the only one that has these worries.

CaroLiza_fan

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
UGH the hand waving for emoting, that's my biggest one. Also the moving out of place before the music ends. I don't mind butt spins though...

I also dislike hand-waving or arm-shaking type of movement, as is seen in Uno and Marin. It gives a wired goose bump, or even upset my stomach.:disapp:

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
Tights half over the boots and very inaccurate mesh cloth on dresses.

Badly done illusion spins (my mind goes to Sotnikova's perfect one every time I see one)

Half loops that look like an accidental stepout.

noskates

Record Breaker
I have always hated the Bielmann - even when Bielmann was doing it. I think it's an ugly and awkward position. And I'm fast starting to dislike the arms over the head on EVERY jump in the program.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Jewellry.

Nobody should be allowed onto the ice if they are wearing jewellry. It can be so dangerous!

Say for some reason it comes off and falls on the ice. If you don't know where it is and your blade subsequently hits it, that is you straight down.

Even if it stays on you it can be dangerous. Imagine if a necklace or a bracelet gets caught on your skate during a Biellmann. With the bracelet, it could do some serious damage to your wrist trying to pull it free. But, with a necklace, it could conceivably strangle you.

As I have mentioned a few times on here, I do Ju-Jitsu. And you are not allowed to wear jewellry there because it can be dangerous if something goes wrong. So, I can't understand why it is tolerated in figure skating.

I know that cheerknithanson feels the same when she sees skaters wearing jewellry. So, I'm not the only one that has these worries.

CaroLiza_fan

Ha ha my mother's first comment when we sat down to watch ice skating (and she hadn't seen any for a while) was about this! And it's surprising how many skaters wear necklaces, I've never seen a gymnast wearing a necklace. Where's the OH&S skating?!

In regards to the topic, I really dislike it when skaters drop their knee below their hip in order to get into a donut spin, if you can't just grab your foot, you're not flexible enough. :p

I however love hand movements, Plushy is my idol in that regard! :laugh:

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
-The same combo of turns in the step sequence, which is rocker-counter-twizzle. It is far abused and boring to see every one doing the same. And also doing the same pattern of step sequence every season.

-Butt spins. I don't care if it's a difficult variation or not, it's not good-looking, just cancel the Upright Forward difficult variation.

-Attempt on a donut spin position which doesn't end up on a donut shape.

-Any spilt-second spiral/spread eagle/hydro-blading etc. I don't think it should be considered a complete move when the skaters just hit a position, the moves should be held considerably long until a curve is shaped.

Half-loop jump combos.

I totally agree on the butt spins. Looks strange everytime xD

I cannot stand Medvedevas strange kind of spiral she does in every program for some unknown reason. She skates forward and pulls her leg up into a split, makes a half turn and glides backwards in that position. Looks simply strange and not elegant at all to me.

A skid spiral is what it is when it is done by skidding like Sasha, Mao. Evgenia did more like a 3 turn spiral only.

Mussique

On the Ice
Half-loop jump combos.

Agreed! No matter how much skating I watch: I will always gasp in confusion thinking they stepped out...and then "oh, it's just a half loop"
I only like them when they're very on point with the music.

As many many people said, the dreaded butt spin is just ugly. Someone once told me in a streaming that it should be called "orbiting Uranus". Agreed.

I'm a real bird™ choreo. You get bonus points if your costume has feathers.

Also hurrying the last 5 secs of choreography often looking like an helicopter and hitting your final pose 1 sec after the music has landed. Just omit one hand-thing and be on time please!

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
My mom occasionally watches with me and during Euros she said "there are no more butt spins this year?"
I haven't noticed any too but maybe I haven't been paying attention.

I dislike that spin Alaine is doing where she is squatting but one of her legs is lifted and parallel to the ground.

But the thing that bugs me the most are helicopter arms instead of proper tanos :(

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Anything far from effortless jumps such as

* Heavily labored and muscled jumps that severely lack natural flows
* Severely pre-rotated jumps
* Toe-axels
* Full-blade take-offs
* Ugly helicopter tanos. Rippons are okay as at least those have nice oval arms.
* Hunched and far forward jump landings
* Effusive arm (swinging like a seesaw) and leg (high kick) moves going into jump
* Intentionally stretched free-leg up right after landing a jump
* Wildly travelling jump axis in the air

Meaningless miming not adding to interpretation but to save one's energy for later big contents. Yagudin's miming incorporated well into his programs was a thing of art.

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
I dislike that spin Alaine is doing where she is squatting but one of her legs is lifted and parallel to the ground.

Ok I like Alaine so please don't attack me but that spin position is infamously referred to as the Dog pee spin. This term first emerged here I forget when but anyway that should also be prohibited!

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I cannot stand Medvedeva's strange kind of spiral she does in every program for some unknown reason.

It's such a throwaway move, she doesn't have great position or hold it at all. Sasha Cohen is the one who did this move correctly, both with a long initial hold at times and also incorporated perfectly as a briefer highlight transition, such as in her 2006 SP after the first jump - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELFerA2QZX8

It's such a throwaway move, she doesn't have great position or hold it at all. Sasha Cohen is the one who did this move correctly, both with a long initial hold at times and also incorporated perfectly as a briefer highlight transition, such as in her 2006 SP after the first jump - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELFerA2QZX8

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, isn't that practically all there is to her ChSq this season? Along with a couple spread eagles?
--------------------------------------
The 'Tano. Especially when incorrectly done, but the Rippon is so much more beautiful.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight

Yeah, I think so too. I have warmed up to Zhenya's skating considerably but this move still makes me roll my eyes :D

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
When a skater lands a perfectly clean jump and then proceeds to do some sloppy turns on one foot. It can look good but often looks like the skater is out of balance and simply flailing around.

Also a pet peeve is when a skater does the exact same transitions coming out of a jump for multiple seasons in a row... Evgenia I'm looking at you :scard7:

This is one of my issues with Alina Zagitova even if they are not super sloppy on its own. Evgenia repeats herself ... it's true but say what you want she can make it look elegant. Also I dislike how Alina proceeds in a hurry to this lift your leg / catch your foot move after landing 2A which itself lasts 0.2 second . Unsightly for me.

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
My biggest pet peeve is always technique, heavy, laboured, hand-muscled jumps, flutzes that get very high GOE, toe-axels, severe prerotation + underrotation which should lead to downgrading the jump and it doesn't... impossible to watch really. Ridicolous hand movements and miming does not help either...

As for moves - hello my fellow butt spin haters :laugh: Oddly I like Evgenia's weird Y-spiral thingy, don't judge me :p At the same time I really like when skaters hold a classic spiral at least for few seconds, when they just put the leg up and immediately put it down it loses sth e.g. Nathan Chen does this often.
Also Nathan has this spin position which I absolutely hate, it does not look elegant or nice at all, just like the butt spin, https://youtu.be/NEDyIIpwslQ?t=185

Edited:
I completely forgot about the biggest pet peeve in the figure skating universe: reusing the same music by multiple skates over and over and over again! Just to name a few: Carmen, Rach's Concerto no 2 (I love this piece but honestly only a few skaters can interpret it...), Imagine, La Strada (please just stop already!), Black Swan (omg...), anything from Moulin Rouge... honestly there is so much music to choose from!

Last edited: