TV Alert--Nationals Exhibitions | Page 2 | Golden Skate

TV Alert--Nationals Exhibitions

ArwenIcePrincess

Rinkside
Caroline completely blew me away- she has the potential to become the next Sasha Cohen and the next Michelle Kwan!

Alissa was incredible- is Katarina Witt watching, because if Alissa uses Carmen, Katarina's might be eclipsed...

ae9177

On the Ice
I really like this year's EX, everybody did a great job and had so much fun! What impressed me most was the audiences from Spokane, what an enthusiastic and knowledgable crowd!
Although this has been mentioned 1,000,000 times, still wanna say Caroline rocks! She definitely was the biggest highlight of the night, what a performance! I don't even miss Michelle and Sasha now!

Sylvia - Some of those you listed as not shown on TV should have been. I did like Evora and Ladwig, Davis and White, McLaughlin and Bruebaker (He's built like a truck driver). But I agree, it was Caroline who stole the show.

Joe

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kurt's commentary was way too cutesy
Can anyone tell me why Kurt was at Nationals??? I love Paul Wiley, he is just so sophisticated. Why would we have Kurt and not Paul. I'm sorry but everything with Kurt is funny and it's not!!! Enough is enough.

Dee

R.D.

Record Breaker
ok, now that I'm back on the computer...

I didn't see anything wrong with Kurt. I think it added some fun and excitement (if not corny at times- like Emily's segment) and the flashbacks and old footage were cool to watch as well.

Now, everyone here is saying Caroline stole the show. But from what I see, Alyssa was by far the best IMO. Zhang showed potential but she's still a little on the young side that her exhibition TO ME was more "cutesy" (G** help me for saying that) than awesome. But Czisny, she's mature, she flows, and is quite captivating. JMHO

But folks are right. US skating will go on without Kwan and Cohen, and I knew it would. Kimmie and Emily are doing great and the lower levels show a few promising skaters rising through the ranks. That said, though, I still consider Japan the powerhouse right now in ladies' skating. Korea and the US should be able to give them some competition in March though- hopefully. :yes:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
The exhibition today wasn't horrible but I think they could have used a lot of that talking time to show all the skaters they chacked from the broadcast. They could have shown Davis & White, Navarro & Bommentre, Rena & John, and Evora & Ladwig at least rather than some of that talking and I'm a bit annoyed that they didn't show all the junior champions this year either. They normally do show them in the exhibitions. I guess the broadcast was all right but it could have been SO much better had they not chacked so many other skaters. :banging:

i can't belive they didn't show Rena and John!!!!

SS Quote:
Oh, and I loved the crazy dancing back-flip girl who won novice.
Yes, she was kind of fun but she didn't win the LP. It was Musademba whom I am certain you will be seeing more of next year.

Joe

Me too, and that's why she's in my siggy! (I saw her at the skating club competition at Chelsea Piers.)

ETA P.S. Baseball nut: I love your Sasha blend, and Tiny mavy: I believe in Sasha's perfect program too! She'll be back - no matter what anyone says.

Last edited:

swizzletwizzle

On the Ice
I loved the EX, but I was disappointed that they didn't even show some of the World Team members (D/W, I/B), yet they showed the Novice ladies champ, & two Junior ladies! Don't get me wrong, I loved Mirai, Caroline, & Angela, but they could have at least cut out some fluff (such as the commentators past skates) so they could show those two.

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
I enjoyed the Exhibition show very much, especially Alyssa, Caroline, and Kimmie! Most of the others were very enjoyable, also.

But I must mention the biggest bummer for me during the telecast - When Kurt Browning introduced the old video of little Emily talking with Katie Couric, he didn't even mention the presence of Nicole Bobek standing close by with Emily, as if Nicole Bobek never existed! Very rude, in my opinion.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Paul got 4ccs.. and did the voice overs for Euros...

Kurt is a lot of fun. Personally I'd boot Dick out and bring Paul in and keep Kurt...

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
One of the reasons I asked about Kurt being at Nationals is because he's Canadian and it was the US Nationals.

Dee

dfj

On the Ice
When Kurt Browning introduced the old video of little Emily talking with Katie Couric, he didn't even mention the presence of Nicole Bobek standing close by with Emily, as if Nicole Bobek never existed! Very rude, in my opinion.

I have never found him to be particularly well-mannered, so it doesn't surprise me.

That was Nicole Bobek? I thought it was Sarah Hughes.

Just goes to show -- never perform with dogs or children, they'll steal the scene.

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
I think Inoue & Baldwin did Mandy as their exhibition last year - maybe that's why it was cut. If I recall correctly, they wore bumblebee yellow tops and black bottoms. Wasn't one of their best IMO.

No, their "Mandy" is beautiful and I'm sorry ABC didn't see fit to show it. The program you're thinking of was "Do Wah Diddy" - and I agree that it wasn't one of their best, to put it tactfully!
Rave

eliza88

On the Ice
Alissa's skating and Linda Eder's voice...what an amazing combo!

Johhny was fab, Ryan and his flip with a perfect landing! Wow! Caroline with her arm wrap spiral! Wow wow wow!

This was one of the better Nats Exhibitions!

eliza88

efreedman

On the Ice
Alissa

Unfortunately, I wasn't at Nationals this year to see Alissa, but I did see this number at the Skating Club of Boston last Saturday evening. There was a Benefit to honor the Mary Louise Wright Scholarship program.

While Alissa popped her lutz, the rest of the skating and choreography was absolutely stunning. You can tell that she really loves and feels that music. Now if she could only skate like that for Worlds.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
One of the reasons I asked about Kurt being at Nationals is because he's Canadian and it was the US Nationals.

Dee

That's a question I've had as well just because he's Canadian, though, doesn't mean he isn't qualified to commentate. He's a 4 time world champ, well liked in the US, and he's pretty charismatic...

it amazes me that the commentators get creamed during fluff pieces for not saying something or saying too much. During fluff pieces they're reading scripts... ABC controls what is said (even when it's commentary they can take away or add to the commentary after the taping)