Should We Give Weir and Sandhu One More Chance? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Should We Give Weir and Sandhu One More Chance?

Shmuzzy

On the Ice
When Alissa Czisny skated last year on a couple of the COI stops she was billed as: Skate Canada gold medalist and Skate America silver medalist. This year they will be able to say, U.S. bronze medalist :rock: )

Off topic I know Mathman, but can we expect to see the "U.S. bronze medalist" in Detroit on April 20? Neither her web site or the COI site lists her as skating. Have you heard anything lately in the news?

What?! I just assumed...

OK, I just shot off an email to Alissa telling her to let us know as soon as possible whether she will be skating on not, so I can decide whether to spring for the expensive seats up front.

momjudi

On the Ice
With the right program there is no reason why Johnny can't be national champion and perhaps a world medalist next year. This year's long program was not a right fit for Johnny as he himself finally admitted after World's.

Looking at Carmen vs Child of Nazareth, I think everyone has to agree that Johnny's long program was much more difficult then Evan's as far as jump placements and choreography. Paul Wylie made the comment at Skate Canada that the jumps in CoN were not placed in the best spots as they left very little set up time whereas Evan had a lot of set up time for his jumps as they were spaced much further apart then Johnny's.

Johnny was able to hit all his jumps during exhibitions, the fact that he singled and doubled them during CoN, proves it was the program that was the problem and not the skater.

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
Johnny was able to hit all his jumps during exhibitions, the fact that he singled and doubled them during CoN, proves it was the program that was the problem and not the skater.

I don't know...ever since the LP at the Olympics Johnny just has not been the same skater.

~Z

jennylovskt

Medalist

How many jumps he skates in an exhibition number? About 3 or 4, I think. How many jumping passes he should skate in a LP? 7 to 8. That will make a huge difference.:)

Last edited:
Maybe he needs a more simplistic program for competitive skating if the choreography is getting in the way.

Joe

jennylovskt

Medalist
Maybe he needs a more simplistic program for competitive skating if the choreography is getting in the way.

Joe

I agree. But why didn't he do that this year if it was the reason bothering him? Unfortunately, I think the commitment is the key. Trying to find other reasons for him is like to trying to find excuses. No matter how simple or how difficult the programs are, you have to be willing to put your other life on hold and make the greatest effort to achieve the goal. I think he did just that after 2003 US Nationals. So he was able to come back the next year and climbed to the top. Is he willing to do the same next year?

Big Deal

Final Flight
No, we can't.
They both are painful to watch since a while.
Better to finish their eligible carrier.
The same is true to Julia Sebestyen.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
No, we can't.
They both are painful to watch since a while.
Better to finish their eligible carrier.
The same is true to Julia Sebestyen.

On the other hand ( and there always seems to be another hand ) look how much of a washed-up failure Miki Ando was last season.

I agree. But why didn't he do that this year if it was the reason bothering him? Unfortunately, I think the commitment is the key. Trying to find other reasons for him is like to trying to find excuses. No matter how simple or how difficult the programs are, you have to be willing to put your other life on hold and make the greatest effort to achieve the goal. I think he did just that after 2003 US Nationals. So he was able to come back the next year and climbed to the top. Is he willing to do the same next year?
you got it, Jenny! Will he put Kathy Griffith, runway modeling, outspoken nonsense first? and before practice? We don't know.

It seems his die hard fans think all his problems are outside him, and don't want to admit, it's his own fault.

Joe

Vodka Shot

On the Ice
It seems his die hard fans think all his problems are outside him, and don't want to admit, it's his own fault.
I do see this at times with some of my fellow Johnny fans. But, I don't see this head up butt attitude with his fans anywhere near as much as what people on skating boards insist they see. Most of his fans, even the die hard ones are very realistic about his season.

His hard fans have 2 main reasons for this season: bad choreography and nerve problems. Yes, his choreogrpahy wasn't that great BUT he was repsonsible for finding the right fit for him, yes he might have nerve problems BUT he can at least try and see a sports psychologist to work on that. So, while those 2 things might be an issue they're things w-in his control.

Very few of his hard fans will even entertain the possibilty that he doesn't train enough....? I used to think that was it but, I don't know maybe it is nerves?

However, There are imo things he has no control over: he got injured at CoR, the USFSA wants to make love with Lysacek, and CoP heavily rewards jumpers.

Very few of his hard fans will even entertain the possibilty that he doesn't train enough....? I used to think that was it but, I don't know maybe it is nerves?
I entertain this possibility but I have no idea whether there is any foundation to it. He's said on his website that his body can't take any more than he already does. I'm not sure what that means.

I know I've posted about this here recently, and don't recall getting much response. Sorry if I'm repeating myself.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
However, There are imo things he has no control over: he got injured at CoR

Plus he got injured at both the 2005 and 2006 Worlds, the ones he had his best chance of medaling in up until now. His misfortune also "possibly" opened the door for Lysacek to win his 2 World bronzes were alot of the push for him to be recognized as the top American over Weir came from, making it a further possible misfortune for Weir to be injured when he did.

the USFSA wants to make love with Lysacek

I had to :rofl: :rofl: at that one.

and CoP heavily rewards jumpers.

Definitely. It is crazy the GOE for spins and footwork are only counted 50% when there are already 8 jumps in the program to only 4 spins and 2 sequences, 1 jump is generaly already worth so much more value points per element then 1 non-jump element, plus jumps already carry the most general loss of points(mistakes, downgraded, even small -GOE for shaky landings)per element then 1 non-jump element. They are doing everything possible it seems to make the sport as much based on jumps and reputation alone, basically the same as the old system anyway so whats new. The points worth of spins and footwork is diminished to almost nothing in comparision to jumps, and the PCS is based almost entirely on reputation it seems as opposed to skating quality.

I entertain this possibility but I have no idea whether there is any foundation to it. He's said on his website that his body can't take any more than he already does. I'm not sure what that means.

I know I've posted about this here recently, and don't recall getting much response. Sorry if I'm repeating myself.
I don't remember reading it and I am glad you mentioned it again. It gives me hope that he may try to get back to where he was in 2004 at that Worlds when he went up from the third group to the second group to the final six and he skated beautifully to place fifth. He can do it. It is up to him

I just got fed up with all the excuses being ranted about why he hasn't done well in the last couple of years.

Joe

jennylovskt

Medalist

I remembered reading that on his website. We have no way of knowing it for sure unless he explain it. I am sure he and his coach could work out a suitable training and diet program for him to overcome whatever his body's weakness, as long as he is willing to commit himself totally into skating.

Big Deal

Final Flight
One of the certain signs , the COP working well, this 2 are not in the top 6 anymore.
With the old system, they could bee kept there by their (old) reputation.

TALKING about skating and himself or DOING skating doesn't worth the same amount of points!!

Last edited by a moderator: