Favorite Choreographer | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Favorite Choreographer

discoduck

On the Ice
I always enjoyed Bezic's work, particularly the things she did for Boitano. Lori Nichol is amazing as well and while I am admittedly partial to the skaters involved, I loved the programs she did for Shen and Zhao this year. :)

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
But that footwork was Morozov's, working as Tarasova's assistant, right?

ITA. .

Lori Nichol would have to be my favorite; she consistently does terrific work with a wide range of people.

I like the stuff Kawahara has done with Bebe, but beyond that I consider her to be a bit over-rated.
l.

Okay, then N. Morozov is a great cherographer too. But tataina has somthin very special in every program.

On Lori, i think that she has done some masterpices, with Michelle Kwan like Salome and with Shen and Zhao with Romanza and Thais. I really liked Love Story for Sale and Pelliter. But somtimes, i see a program and say "that was lori nichol?" Examples are kimmie's programs this year and Mao's Freeskate. Okay, but nothing special. (i think that whoever chreogrpahed mao's nocturne works better with her, and mao should use him on both her programs next season.)

Who else has Sarah Kawahara worked with besides Bebe? Overrated? i never heard of her being used other than by Bebe!

flying camel

Medalist
Who else has Sarah Kawahara worked with besides Bebe? Overrated? i never heard of her being used other than by Bebe![/QUOTE]

I remember she use to do a lot of choreography for the pro skaters. But you don't see any of them that often anymore.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Two of my favorites are Tom Dickson (Matt Savoie, Ryan Jahnke, Yukina Ota, Jeremy Abbott's FS last year, etc.) and Stephanee Grosscup (Stephanie Rosenthal's "Rockit" SP from 2006 Nationals).

rjulie510

Rinkside
Besides obvious ones already mentioned, I like Peter Tchernyshev's work. He's relatively underused by elite skaters, and I think more skaters should consider using him for choreography. I like Tom Dickson, some David Wilson (his programs are starting to look the same IMO.), some Tatiana Tarasova and and select Morozov choreography (when he's good, he's good. And his SPs are generally excellent.)

morninglight

On the Ice
Thanks for that too, so happy to have you share with us!

You are most welcome.

I can't decide.

I cannot decide, either.

Personally, I have a preference for musical skate to dramatic, theatrical skate. In that regard, I like Ms. Lori Nichol. I loved Mao's Nocturne and Carolina's Canon so much. They are very harmonious, pleasant, and peaceful. I can watch them many many times without getting tired at all.

In the similar line, I loved Ms. Susan Austin’s work for Mirai Nagasu’s LP, “American Quartet” (Dvorak). Not only the music was heavenly beautiful and full of joy, but also the program was very well constructed; all the transitions flow so well throughout the program.

I also loved Mao’s Nutcracker by Ms. Lea Ann Miller last season very much. It was a very joyful piece that matched well with her adorable charm.

Mr. David Wilson & Jeff appear to be an excellent team. Jeff's programs are so delicate and classy. The ones Mr. Wilson did for Miki last year were also very beautiful. But I felt that they might have been a bit too delicate for Miki whose strength is powerfulness. But they surely were beautiful packages.

I also like Shizuka & Mr. Morosov team. Shizuka’s dynamic skate appears to fit well with Mr. Morosov’s style. Besides, he brings more emotions to her flawless skating.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Who else has Sarah Kawahara worked with besides Bebe? Overrated? i never heard of her being used other than by Bebe!

she choreographed the opening and closing ceremonies for the 02 olympics (the skating portion anyway)

she won an emmy for her work on Scott Hamilton's Special titled 'Upside Down'

I don't think she's overrated at all.

discoduck

On the Ice
I read somewhere Mao had a sp done by Morozov but that she changed it afterwards for the one by Lori Nichol.

Ah okay! I knew I had read somewhere that he had worked with Mao. Glad to know I wasn't crazy. I am not a Morozov fan by any means but he does make good short programs. I particularly liked Kwan's Spartacus and AP MacDonough's Sparatcus as well. Wait..maybe he just makes good Spartacus programs. :laugh:

Tom Dickson is also a good choreographer. I always enjoyed his work with Ryan Jahnke. Danse Bazil :love: was wonderful even if I was a bit taken aback the first time I saw it.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Originally posted in the Mirai Nagasu thread:
IIRC....US ladies that Lori Nichol has most recently worked with (06/07 season) include:
Meissner (LP), Flatt (SP), Kahle, Hyatt (LP), R. Hughes.
Lori Nichol is also listed as Taylor Firth's choreographer in the 2007 U.S. Nationals program book (I enjoyed both of her programs), along with Becky Hughes (= R. Hughes) among the senior ladies who competed in Spokane. Alex Chang is listed as Danielle Kahle's 2006-07 choreographer, not Lori Nichol.

Skaters who are involved in their own choreography include: Braden Overett (he had two of the most entertaining programs this season, IMO), Jeremy Abbott (listed as co-choreographer with Damon Allen on his intriguing "American Beauty" SP), Derrick Delmore and Tommy Steenberg (percussive "Drumline" SP).

doug_log

On the Ice
Kawahara also did "Blades of Glory."

What about Bezic's work for Chen Lu? That LP she did for the 95-96 season.....woooowwwwwwza.

Gabriella Robin

Spectator
The Lark Ascending

I like David Wilson. I like Yu-Na's LP and Jeffrey Buttle's programs very much!:thumbsup:

I saw Johnny Weir's SWAN in the 2006 Olympic Games. It was impressive. Who made this program? Tatiana Tarasova?

Last edited:

IceSkatingGeek

Spectator
lori nicol

it seems that alot of younger skaters are working with lori nicol. like at the US nationals, there were quite a few skaters with her as a choreographer..she seems to have a great influence, and i must say i think her best work was with Michelle in 1996 & 1998 when Michelle skated to Salome & Lyra Angelica..which programs do u think lori did best on??