2020 World Championships Cancelled | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2020 World Championships Cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icey

Record Breaker
I wonder if any of the skaters were planning on retiring after this world's?

DenissVFan

Medalist
Meanwhile, ISU just announced that Synchronized Skating Junior Worlds are going ahead... sloooooow :clap:

And Senior Worlds in Synchronized are not ‘postponed’ either...

Sure, I can see how teams are much safer in terms of gathering during the pandemic fears than singles.

That is indeed surprising.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They are required by law to stabilize you if they accept Medicare (almost all hospitals do). Then they send you home with a thousands of dollars bill and prescriptions for medication you may or may not be able to afford. Then you declare bankruptcy.

You won't get a thousands of dollars bill under Medicare unless you are admitted to the hospital for a number of days and don't have supplemental insurance. The Medicare hospital deductible is about $1100 and after that, you are covered for 60 days of hospitalization.

ETA: Sorry, I misread your post. What you say applies only if someone has no insurance, no Medicare or no Medicaid. The vast majority of Americans have coverage under one of those three systems. And for self-pay, hospitals reduce the charges, provide payment plans and allow you to apply for financial hardship if you really don't have any money.

ruga

Final Flight
Meanwhile, ISU just announced that Synchronized Skating Junior Worlds are going ahead... sloooooow :clap:

And Senior Worlds in Synchronized are not ‘postponed’ either...

Sure, I can see how teams are much safer in terms of gathering during the pandemic fears than singles.

Well, to be fair, it's Canadian authorities who decided that the championship should be cancelled and not ISU, so if host countries of Synchronized Skating championships do not impose any restrictions, the ISU will not do it either.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I did not really think they would give any titles based on EC and 4CC, I just thought it would be a solution for next years spots?

Synchro WC is not postponed, but travelling to USA is forbidden from Schengen, so does it mean they will compete without Finnish teams and other teams from Schengen area? They want to arrange the competition without very considerable medal candidates?

Just read an answer from Finnish Federation's FB side that they are just waiting official announce about Synchro being postponed. They are sure it will happen because of the travelling ban from most of the European countries.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Fortunately a lot of events are not waiting for Monday; they've announced their cancellations already.

Including the Sydney Royal Easter Show, for the first time in 101 years (it was 1919 and sadly, ironically for the Spanish flu). I live in a rural area and people in the agricultural industry are obviously upset but they can understand why.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
(groan) Air Canada and Expedia reaches out to me via email to reroute my flights through Torornto... while I can’t get through to them to cancel the flights. I am sure they have people working tirelessly on rebooking the planes of people who don’t even want to fly.

They have “I accept” button on it to automatically accept the change, but not “cancel and refund” button. Why, why?

litenkyckling

Final Flight

This will be because the UK government has had a response that is yet to ban events of over 500 people - despite a jump of 200 cases today. The slowest and strangest response from a European country

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
And he blithely announced at that very same press conference that he was planning to go to the footy on Saturday as usual...only to back down from that only a few hours later, thankfully. Maybe somebody whispered in his ear that the Leader of the Opposition had already cancelled going to the same match. :)

I suspect his cancellation had more to do with potato-face Dutton testing positive. But it could be a moot point anyway, as now one of the Sharks players is being tested.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I suspect his cancellation had more to do with potato-face Dutton testing positive. But it could be a moot point anyway, as now one of the Sharks players is being tested.

...Dutton has coronavirus, shouldn't the virus have gone into voluntary self-isolation by now? :laugh:

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Who is Dutton?

Peter Dutton, currently Minister for Home Affairs in Australia. Zealous about 'protecting Australia's borders' at the cost of human rights. I won't go into detail here (it's against forum rules to be political) except to say that I hope he enjoys his quarantine - pity it's not indefinite.

readernick

Medalist
You won't get a thousands of dollars bill under Medicare unless you are admitted to the hospital for a number of days and don't have supplemental insurance. The Medicare hospital deductible is about $1100 and after that, you are covered for 60 days of hospitalization.

ETA: Sorry, I misread your post. What you say applies only if someone has no insurance, no Medicare or no Medicaid. The vast majority of Americans have coverage under one of those three systems. And for self-pay, hospitals reduce the charges, provide payment plans and allow you to apply for financial hardship if you really don't have any money.

I think you are vastly downplaying how much the USA will be affected due to the lack of government funded healthcare and what a burden it will put on those with (still very high deductables) and without insurance. Medical expenses are one of the main causes of bankruptcy in America. People just don't go to the doctor unless they are deathly ill due to financial concerns and this is going to lead to far too few cases being discovered and encourage the spread of the virus . It is a deadly situation.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I've never experienced anything similar. Every event is canceled. I fully understand the reason behind these cancellations. Still I consider it is a lot of hysteria around. Why all the toilet paper disappeared from all stores. I understood the hand sanitizer sold out, but toilet paper??? It's a flu-like disease, not dysentery.
I have no idea what figure skater do? I guess the go on with a summer like training.
I hope summer will come as long days and sun's UV light will kill most air born viruses

brakes

On the Ice
I hope summer will come as long days and sun's UV light will kill most air born viruses
It's true, but I think cold is more efficient as virus spreading stopper than sun as virus killer.
The expert on TV asked about end of pandemic before May was sceptic because of upcoming spring temperature.

EDIT: love "Daily New Cases" chart in China!
:clapper::clap:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think you are vastly downplaying how much the USA will be affected due to the lack of government funded healthcare and what a burden it will put on those with (still very high deductables) and without insurance. Medical expenses are one of the main causes of bankruptcy in America. People just don't go to the doctor unless they are deathly ill due to financial concerns and this is going to lead to far too few cases being discovered and encourage the spread of the virus . It is a deadly situation.

But most people have insurance/government coverage of one sort or another. People age 65 and over can get Medicare and supplemental insurance to cover deductibles and copays, if they want. People with low income can get Medicaid. Everyone can get a policy under Obamacare. I have employer-provided insurance with a $350 deductible and 20% copays. My maximum out of pocket is $1,500. It isn’t completely free to me—I pay through payroll deductions (about $150 a month for family coverage). If the system gets stressed, it will be because some people choose not to buy insurance. That is not the government’s fault.

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But most people have insurance/government coverage of one sort or another. People age 65 and over can get Medicare and supplemental insurance to cover deductibles and copays, if they want. People with low income can get Medicaid. Everyone can get a policy under Obamacare. I have employer-provided insurance with a $350 deductible and 20% copays. My maximum out of pocket is $1,500. It isn’t completely free to me—I pay through payroll deductions (about $150 a month for family coverage). If the system gets stressed, it will be because some people choose not to buy insurance. That is not the government’s fault.

Medicaid eligibility varies hugely by state. I technically have insurance through the exchange since I don't have any other option, but with a $15,000 deductible (so basically, I don't have much insurance at all), and so do lots of others. Just because one "has insurance" doesn't mean they can afford to go to the doctor. 8.5% of the US population has no health insurance; in Texas that's 17.7%. You have gold standard insurance, which is by no means the norm. I guarantee you that 8.5% of the population isn't going without insurance for fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.