2021 US Nationals: Men's FS - Thoughts and Observations | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2021 US Nationals: Men's FS - Thoughts and Observations

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
I had neither, though I will say I think this is the first Elvis program we've had where someone did some Elvis-esque hip/leg action https://youtu.be/kPIW3usP2l8?t=212

**Edit to add: if he was slightly more known, I think he would have been third.
Agreed, but not domestically. Internationally, it goes either way with the edge probably going to Paniot.

Paniot : I never really paid much attention to Paniot as I always thought his layouts were too ambitious for him. Well, he has my full attention now. That was the only Elvis program that didn’t cause second-hand embarrassment. But this is the sort of program that must be skated clean. The awesome 30-second choreo sequence is the very last element; he won’t be able to pull it off if he’s upset about errors made earlier in the program. He’s a great skater and obviously has lots of personality, but he needs to show that earlier in the program. Otherwise, he did a fantastic job. He was the only guy that landed all his quads cleanly (three of them). And his name is now in the cup. Too bad there wasn’t a crowd. Audience would have been going nuts and he would gotten a standing O.

Naumov : He had the skate of the day for me. Most guys would skate through that music as if they don’t have ears, but he most certainly did not. Even his spins were timed to the music. But it wasn’t just the musicality. Dude was fierce and he skated his program like he had something to say. A top five finish and straight out of juniors!

Krasnozhon : I’ve always said that Krasnozhon skates his best when he’s under pressure. I know this, but I was still about ready to vomit when he took to the ice. He landed everything and that was actually the best he ever performed a free skate. He even shouted after his final jumping pass and the choreo sequence was even more fiery than it already was. But his spins still look as if they’ve been beaten with an ugly stick and he completely ditched his step sequence! Dude. But yeah, I’m super happy that he had a redemption skate!!!!

Paniot and Naumov especially out-performed and outskated the podium.

Chen was Chen. I think his free skate is the best he’s ever had; it’s certainly the first I’ve ever liked. (I never like his free programs, only his shorts.) They’re some beautiful moments, but there’s also a lot of emptiness. I don’t believe it’s because of the current times; his free skates are always this way for me. I think the difference is that there’s more beauty than emptiness this time around.

Zhou : Zhou was closer to Chen than I think they both probably realize and he’s improved majorly. On everything. Performance. Skating. Everything. It’s very recognizable, yet there’s always something missing. He’s definitely put in some work, but there’s still something blank about him.

Brown : His free program is snoozy and I do not like the music. The difference in quality between it and the short is jarring! He was way too cautious and it showed.

I agree with the poster that said the penultimate group was terrible. Despite that, though, this was probably still the best mens event of the year.

....Actually, yeah it was. I watched two other Nationals and nearly the entire men’s field were UNSAT in one and the other had only two performances that I even remember.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Nicolas Nadeau channeled Elvis with a smile and some hip action

While I'm a fan of Nic, THIS will always be my favorite Elvis program.

Makemi

Rinkside
Whew! What a comp!
Finally had some time to unwind from a full lovely weekend of figure skating. (Definitely needed that with everything else going on recently.)

Nathan is always pushing the envelope and making things harder for himself when he definitely doesn't need to (his SP was insane!). That said I think I've gotten too spoiled thinking he's going to nail everything perfectly every time. So I'm surprised yet not surprised on the errors.. And even though his jumps were not as crisp as normal I really enjoyed his performance. Also, am I in the minority in that I actually really like this Phillip Glass program? Although I prefer his more dynamic programs (nothing beats Rocket man's choreo for me), I thought this more cerebral and minimalist style really suits him. I especially love the step sequence. I know he's tried to expand the choreo sequence but I still wish it was longer. (Added note: I had to laugh at his explanation of his costume. At this point I think he's just trolling us and doing this on purpose. 😄)

Vincent's opening quad combo was gorgeous!...and then he pops a 4F and falls on a 4lz (that fall looked painful). I wasn't completely sold on this program before but now that I see the finished product I think I do like it (I can totally see the Misha Ge in this choreo). I love the intensity of that last sequence. Vincent's growing in the performance department and I'm here for it!

Jason's Sinnerman SP is a masterpiece. I'm glad he's definitely keeping it for next season because the world needs much much more of that SP. The Slaughter on 10th Avenue FS on the other hand is... not quite there yet. Can definitely tell it's still a work in progress and needs some more mileage. Still I can see the brilliance that is Jason's skating there. It's not my cup of tea (as opposed to the SP) but it could be good when it's polished a bit more.

Biggest surprise for me was Yaroslav! I mean he was on my radar after last season's Nationals but wow wow wow! Not only does he have the technical goods, but he's incredibly entertaining and has the swagger, loved it! (I'll even forgive him for the Elvis program). With a live audience that would have definitely been a "Nationals moment." Well done!

Maxim was the other surprise for me. That program was intense. Doubly impressive seeing as it was his senior debut!

Alexei's performance was another standout for me. He must have been very angry at being in the first group because he was on fire!

Super bummed for Tomoki and Camden. I'm glad Tomoki went for the 4lz (I sort of feel like that was a game-day decision for him since he replaced his solo 4T, but good on him for trying it after the disaster of the SP). I think out of all the skaters he was feeling the lack of live audience, he's the type that feeds off the energy of the crowd. His program had his usual show-stopper moments but a bit fell flat for me without that energy. For Camden I knew things were going to bad for him when he bailed on the opening 4T. *sigh* Oh Camden one day you'll put it together... (That said I know Tomoki and Camden are BFFs but I wish they didn't have to commiserate and make the exact same mistake on the same jump in the SP...)

Other thoughts:
- Jimmy Ma did one of his best FS programs ever... and then falls on the choreo sequence. Which is somehow so very Jimmy, he laughed at himself afterwards. And swearing on live National TV in the KnC is also very Jimmy. Please never change Jimmy.
- Dihn Tran scared me to death with that 3A. I don't know how he managed to not face plant on that.
- So good to see Jeremy Abbott at the boards!
- Joseph Kang is a pogo stick. Those jump landings scare me greatly.
- The digital zoom board was the best idea ever! I loved seeing all the skaters come off the ice with smiles seeing their friends and family (and dogs, yes Jimmy, that's your dog 🤣).

ETA: Also adding that I really missed Andrew Torgashev and Illia Manillin at this comp. 😢

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for the extended comments, @Makemi . I agree with your comments particularly for some of the lesser ranked skaters whom I enjoy every bit as much for what they have to offer as the “upper tier”.

I also greatly enjoyed the Zoom KnC. I think USFS did the best they could with the mini bubble, and it worked. :)

The format and cardboard cutouts also led to great skater interactions, I know everyone thinks (rightly) that Jimmy’s “That’s my dog” is one of the quotes of the afternoon, but I also enjoyed Alex K.’s shoutout to the Twitter fans and haters:biggrin:

Makemi

Rinkside
Thanks for the extended comments, @Makemi . I agree with your comments particularly for some of the lesser ranked skaters whom I enjoy every bit as much for what they have to offer as the “upper tier”.

I also greatly enjoyed the Zoom KnC. I think USFS did the best they could with the mini bubble, and it worked. :)

The format and cardboard cutouts also led to great skater interactions, I know everyone thinks (rightly) that Jimmy’s “That’s my dog” is one of the quotes of the afternoon, but I also enjoyed Alex K.’s shoutout to the Twitter fans and haters:biggrin:

I totally forgot he said that but now that you mention it... yeah that was also quite hilarious. Alexei please also never change. Actually if I recall he and Jimmy are roommates... must be a party at their place everyday. 😂

I was commenting to my friend that I actually really enjoyed watching all the lower rank skaters, they've all got something to bring to the table. People focus so much on the top guys but I'm always on the look-out for the up and comers. Eventually your favorites retire so you have to find some new ones to root for. 😉

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
For me, I was asleep most of the time. I was watching the skating, but it was almost like for the most part it was one boring program after the next. I didn't enjoy any free skate other than Nathan (for the quads, it feels really empty compared to his previous skate - maybe as he's changing his jump content every day), Jason (Preferred his last seasons free skate), Paniot (massive improvement), Krasnozhon (always love a nice clean skate even if the musical connection wasn't there). Also Liked Jimmy Ma, but I much preferred his sp.

Everybody else (including Vincent, Tomoki, Candem who I enjoyed a lot last year and normally all enjoy) I was totally bored. Especially after the short programs I had higher expectations.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Nicolas Nadeau channeled Elvis with a smile and some hip action

And Yaro was not going to be third in this comp as long as they still count SPs in total scores;). Where Jason was underscored in PCS for that masterpiece. And Yaro was accurately scored for what he did in the LP, as was Jason.

Every year a "new" face appears at Nats and has some quads, and every year there is a cry, oh, Jason better watch out next year. Yet only when Jason beats himself (2018), does that "next year" where Jason disappears happen. Not saying it won't, but Jason fans have seen it over and over again :)
Without mostly 9s in components (and high GOEs), quads doesn't get you far, especially in this system. And i don't see someone else aside Chen and Zhou get those components next season.

Brown just beat by 10 poinst someone with four quads and two 3As while himself had only two 3As.
As long as he gets 9,50 and 9,75 across the board, even with two disruptive mistakes, he's safe. It's clear that no one is gonna beat him if he doesn't bomb seriously.

LadyB

Record Breaker
I've enjoyed all performances by the last group. I was most impressed by Jason's SP and Nathan's FS. The latter was wonderful as Nathan expressed the music like it was written by and for him. 👏👏👏
Yaroslav defo deserves a shout-out for his Elvis show. But Jimmy Ma is just a lad after my own heart! 😂

I'm watching a lot of Russian Men skating and I love them with all my heart, but I must admit what I liked in the Canadian, but in particular in the US, competition was a different choice of music. I was particularly happy about the absence of lots of totally overused stuff and the (sometimes) relentless repetition of it (Cathedraaaleee, Je suis Malaaaaaaade, Blablaland etc.).

Last edited:

readernick

Medalist
Without mostly 9s in components (and high GOEs), quads doesn't get you far, especially in this system. And i don't see someone else aside Chen and Zhou get those components next season.

Brown just beat by 10 poinst someone with four quads and two 3As while himself had only two 3As.
As long as he gets 9,50 and 9,75 across the board, even with two disruptive mistakes, he's safe. It's clear that no one is gonna beat him if he doesn't bomb seriously.
Agreed and not just domestically. Jason regularly overscores skaters internationally with a lot more quads than he has. It is simply because every element he does (generally) is +5 and choreographically he is on another level. So, his fate is in his hands. If he can be clean next year, he should go the Olympics.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
That is what so awkward. His free was not of the spectacular standout quality in any artistic/skating skill way. The cardboard didn’t weep. It had a fall and a pop. There was still the scoring padding on PCS even when Paniot cannot represent the States. Why, just why throw a gauntlet into the face of credibility of judging for no clear or beneficial outcome?

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Agreed—i think USFS deserves a lot of credit for coming up with so many clever ways to make the event as fun and enjoyable as possible for skaters and viewers alike.

Skate Canada also did a wonderful job of staging and presenting their virtual Challenge event—and went the extra mile by providing a free, worldwide stream for us all to enjoy.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That is what so awkward. His free was not of the spectacular standout quality in any artistic/skating skill way. The cardboard didn’t weep. It had a fall and a pop. There was still the scoring padding on PCS even when Paniot cannot represent the States. Why, just why throw a gauntlet into the face of credibility of judging for no clear or beneficial outcome?

the cardboard may not have wept, but I was entranced by every movement. The LP was not his best but what Jason does is so so so hard to do. It’s not the same as jumping, and certainly not everyone has to like the same thing, but it’s difficult and athletic as well as aesthetic, and deserving of points. IMO, the scoring for both programs was credible and the outcome deserved.

international judges appreciate and score Jason the same way for the same elements. Again, someone can disagree that the elements should be scored that way (we wouldn’t have a skating board if we didn’t disagree with the judges:laugh:,) but it’s not as though *only* US judges love Jason’s style.

Of course every fed has Nats inflation, the US, Russia, everyone except Japan. They should all be like Japan, but they’re not;)

Adjesusluvsu

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Overall, it mostly went as expected for me.

Nathan: It was extremely difficult, as always! I liked his previous long program better because of the music and choreography. Like he said, he was a tad off this time; we all noticed the step out/hand down on the 4Lz, and I feel that the program is more empty artistically than his other programs have been. Overall, congratulations! He is a great athlete.

Vincent: I was really impressed by his opening jump, but it was quite sad to see him lose that momentum. I am impressed by his performance overall, considering his low point last year.

Jason: He always exudes a joy when he skates! I was disappointed about his fall on the quad and popping the 3A. His PCS scores (maybe too generous) helped him out a lot, but such is nationals.

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania
People can be mad at Jason's scores all they want, he'll still win medals and be above multiple-quad guys and get huge scores. I respect being a fan of four revolution jumps, but the thing is Jason could get huge scores and medals going for triple/s instead of attempting quads (see 2020 4CC where he was above many guys with quads with a 2T instead of a 4 or 3 because he popped a quad), but he's not that kind of person. He's as much of a fighter as any other skater quads or no quads. He's amazing at figure skating and the scores are given accordingly.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Well, this system was tailored for a skater like him. Pianot could have jumped 5 quads overall that he wouldn't have beaten him probably, or it would have been close. And this is apparently a "more balanced" scoring system than the previous one.