Ladies SP -- Discuss and share live PBP here! | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Ladies SP -- Discuss and share live PBP here!

ANW

On the Ice
I don't think Yuna is more popular than Mao, or vice versa, if we are talking about the popularity across the globe. However the Korean fans are certainly more outrageous than their Japanese counterparts.
I agree with bekalc.

Mao is also so extremely popular, but still can't be compared with Yuna's popularity.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Yuna seems to be under pressures that anyone else has ever experienced in FS. I heard that her name was the #1 google search keywords that were greater than the President or the summer Olympics.

Well I don't know about that Ito anyone? Arakawa I'm sure had a lot of pressure to get a medal going into the Long at the Olympics...

Posts: 55 I don't think Yuna is more popular than Mao, or vice versa, if we are talking about the popularity across the globe. However the Korean fans are certainly more outrageous than their Japanese counterparts.

I think Mao is just as popular in Japan as Mao is in Korea....BUT, I DO think that at least Mao has some other figure skaters and isn't the nations "only hope"...

Last edited:

Wrlmy

Medalist
My bad, I completely disregarded other disciplines and great skaters.
Still, Joannie seems to be getting more coverage than ever, and Elizabeth Manley was handing her the "torch". So although the pressure Yu-Na is under is much greater, Joannie might be under more pressure than ever.
Popularity comes with price. I believe Yu-Na probably has the highest annual income along with Mao among all amateur skaters. I'm not saying Yu-Na has trained all those years for fame and wealth by any means. But now that she has both, she needs to be dealing with the pressure like a pro. I was actually glad all the other elements aside from lutz were top notch and much improved. She didn't let one mistake affect her skate.

It's no surprise she didn't skate her best. I anticipated this in the prediction thread. But still, I was sad for her.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Well I don't know about that Ito anyone? Arakawa I'm sure had a lot of pressure to get a medal going into the Long at the Olympics...
I guess Ito was under enormous pressures at that time, but not the Nation's Little Sister. Besides, she didn't compete under the age of the Internet. Arakawa was lucky because she had Miki Ando trying out a quad. She also got Fumie placing 4th after SP. Her OGM came as a big surprise.

I think Mao is just as popular in Japan as Mao is in Korea....
Hmmm, Mao definitely would't make the google search #1 keyword in the country. At the global level, she may be as popular as Yuna though.

little_winnie

Spectator
Talking about pressure, I always thinks that Korea and Japan give too much pressure and too harsh for their skaters. I will never forget how Miki was criticized by the Japanese media after the 06 Olympic and how Mao cried after she had a wonderful LP after 07 worlds. And today, Yuna cried after the SP, she almost can't hold her tears during the interview. That's just too much for these girls and their just teenages.

ANW

On the Ice
well the difference is, Japan has a wealthy history of figure skating, with Mao or without Mao, the figure skating remains as a popular sports in Japan. But I don't think we can say the same thing for South Korea. It seems the Korean fans are far more interested in Yuna as a national hero (she redeems the Korean as the best in the world) than the sports itself.

I think Mao is just as popular in Japan as Mao is in Korea....BUT, I DO think that at least Mao has some other figure skaters and isn't the nations "only hope"...

shallwedansu

On the Ice
I saw a capture on one of those Korean sites of Yu-Na crying backstage (with TAT watching her!) and it broke my heart. Every other competition she's been in, when she scored record highs and won bronze at Worlds twice despite being injured... in all those times I've never seen her cry. But here in her own country is the first time ever she cried on TV. Maybe it was pressure and gratitude all balled up in her and she finally let it all release. Truly a heartbreaking moment.

Yu-Na, hang in there girl! :clap:

well the difference is, Japan has a wealthy history of figure skating, with Mao or without Mao, the figure skating remains as a popular sports in Japan. But I don't think we can say the same thing for South Korea. It seems the Korean fans are far more interested in Yuna as a national hero (she redeems the Korean as the best in the world) than the sports itself.
I couldn't disagree with you more. Obviously they love Yu-Na and are extremely proud of her, but I think the fans in Korea have fallen in love with the sport and other skaters because of their initial interest in Yu-Na.

I explained this in another thread, but skating fans have to start somewhere, right? Japan, US, Canada, Europe, they already have a long history of figure skating, but all that support in the sport must have started with an interest in a skater or two from their own country.

For Korea, their interest in the sport was obviously sparked much later and it's all thanks to Yu-Na. They had an initial interest in Yu-Na, but as she competed more, the number of fans grew and their interest spread even wider, to other skaters.

I'd love to see more international competitions held in Korea because the fan support for all the skaters, not only Yu-Na, is fantastic! Loud and maybe at times a wee bit crazy for Yu-Na, but still, completely enthusiastic about the skaters across all the disciplines, not just the singles.

Last edited:

ks777

Record Breaker
I explained this in another thread, but skating fans have to start somewhere, right? Japan, US, Canada, Europe, they already have a long history of figure skating, but all that support in the sport must have started with an interest in a skater or two from their own country.

For Korea, their interest in the sport was obviously sparked much later and it's all thanks to Yu-Na. They had an initial interest in Yu-Na, but as she competed more, the number of fans grew and their interest spread even wider, to other skaters.

I'd love to see more international competitions held in Korea because the fan support for all the skaters, not only Yu-Na, is fantastic! Loud and maybe at times a wee bit crazy for Yu-Na, but still, completely enthusiastic about the skaters across all the disciplines, not just the singles.

Actually Janet Lynn made figure skating very popular in Japan and I believe she was the first figure skating superstar in that country.

Here is a video of Janet in Japan.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8ZNDfgBmQk

lmarie086

Medalist

Their enthusiasm is amazing. Yu-Na may have been the spark for the initial interest, but I can tell that they've totally fallen for the sport as a whole.

All the skaters keep saying they feel like superstars. I said to someone today that I almost wished Korea could host GPF every season. I know that's not reasonable though lol. At least I think they should get a GP event. Can you imagine how awesome that would be?

ks777

Record Breaker
Their enthusiasm is amazing. Yu-Na may have been the spark for the initial interest, but I can tell that they've totally fallen for the sport as a whole.

All the skaters keep saying they feel like superstars. I said to someone today that I almost wished Korea could host GPF every season. I know that's not reasonable though lol. At least I think they should get a GP event. Can you imagine how awesome that would be?

I agree!! Love the korean audience!! Mao also said she loves the korean food!

3lutz3toe

Rinkside
HA! I love this! Right on!

QFT. CoP fails again.

Wait, I think I finally figured out a good summary of the scoring systems:

6.0 -- Fudging meaningless numbers to try to achieve results that obey common sense
CoP -- Fudging common sense to try to achieve results that obey meaningless numbers

:cool:

bekalc

Record Breaker
Posts: 56 well the difference is, Japan has a wealthy history of figure skating, with Mao or without Mao, the figure skating remains as a popular sports in Japan. But I don't think we can say the same thing for South Korea. It seems the Korean fans are far more interested in Yuna as a national hero (she redeems the Korean as the best in the world) than the sports itself.

That is so disrespectful. Skating starts somewhere in every country. Frankly to the Korean fans have been supportive of all the skaters... Apparently some fans made a gorgeous book for the Russian ice dancing team.

creamso10

Spectator
i saw protocolls of Mao and Yuna and GPF

Wow... Yu-Na was ridiculously overmarked considering she popped her lutz and still wound up beating Mao's clean program and Yukari's (even though she didn't do a 3-3 combo). Even if they marked Mao with UR on the 3Lo, Yu-Na missed a mandatory element (triple out of footwork). That will definitely get people talking.

Mao

TES(=35.70)
1. 3F-3L <7.0 -1.8 = 5.2
2. 3L 6.0 0.8 = 6.8
3. SpSq4 3.4 1.4 = 4.8
4. FS Sp4 3.0 0.2 = 3.2
5. 2A 3.5 1.0 = 4.5
6. CiSt3 3.3 0.6 = 3.9
7. CCoSp4 3.5 0.5 = 4.0
8.LSp3 2.4 0.9 = 3.3

PCS(=29.68)
Skating skill - 7.65
Transition - 7.10
Performance - 7.45
Choreography - 7.55
Interpretation - 7.35
Total - 37.10
Factor - 0.8
---------------------------------------------

Yuna Kim

TES(=35.50)
1. 3F-3T 9.5 2.0 = 11.5
2. 1L 0.6 -0.3 = 0.3
3. SpSq3 3.1 0.8 = 3.9
4. LSp4 2.7 0.7 = 3.4
5. 2A 3.5 1.2 = 4.7
6. FS Sp4 3.0 0.4 = 3.4
7. SlSt3 3.3 0.7 = 4.0
8. CCoSp4 3.5 0.8 = 4.3

PCS(=30.44)

Skating skill - 7.80
Transition - 7.30
Performance - 7.65
Choreography - 7.65
Interpretation - 7.65
Total - 38.05
Factor - 0.8
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i really hate when people start to argue about who should've been the 1st
when they didn't even see the protocolls or when they don't know how to
see those protocolls. if you like some one over the other, i don't care.
i'ts your personal taste. but about the score and the rank....
please don't mention it before you see those protocolls.

I saw the whole GPF Ladies competition, and i thought the mark was pretty
acceptable. Some of you say Yuna was overmarked but looking at her protocoll
it's reasonable and she only got the scores for what she did.

her 2nd spiral was little shorter for the qualification of level 4.
that's why she got only level 3. she popped lutz and lost almost the whole mark, so please don't argue with it, she 'lost the mark'.
Please see the protocoll.
she only got 0.3 for single lutz. other than that she was great although i prefer COC or skate america ones.

However, i really doubt some of Mao's score. i don't understand how she got
level4 for the spiral... some of you misunderstand about spirals... they're
looking for the speed and the use of deep edge, not flexibility. if you're flexible,
you'll get good GOE but it doesn't affect the basal score.
anyway, her spiral was slow, unstable, neutral edge, and was bit short for
time qualification like Yuna, but some how she got level 4.
also, she didn't get any 'e' mark or '!' for her flutz. she even got 0.8 GOE
though it was obvious flutz.
except that, i think she did the greates job for this season. but i don't think
the music really suits her... Frankly, it was boring to me
i prefer her LP although one thing i don't like it is that all the jumps are
concentrated on one spot

one more thing to add, i really surprised for Yukari. i always thought she got
lower mark than what she ability. frankly, i prefer Yukari over Miki. Miki is also
a great skater but not my preference. i'm glad that Yukari did good on SP

Last edited:

harmy18

Rinkside
:frown::cry:

Totally disagree with you.

Didn't you watch the vedio yesterday?? Mao is the least popular in Korea than anyone else.
I was a bit puzzled when Korean show more interest in Miki, Yukari and Carolina, you know, korean news are more concerned with Mao and they did do some TV shows of her; however the audiences show no interest in Mao, sounds like they waste lots of time and energy in trash:rofl:

I think the scores for Joannie is.......like disaster to me.......:cry:

harmy18

Rinkside
Mao

looking for the speed and the use of deep edge, not flexibility. if you're flexible,
anyway, her spiral was slow, unstable, neutral edge, and wasclike Yuna, but some how she got level 4.
lower mark than what she ability. frankly, i prefer Yukari over Miki. Miki is also

Guys, I totally understand why you would think like that:rofl:

About Mao's lutz, well.... to my TV angle, I think that's a lutz, deep outside edge before jumps, however it's more like flat to me later. That should not get "e" of course.

About the spins, well.... You said the speed only "affects the GOE" then why do you puzzle that Mao got level 4? "unstable"? I don't think so; abou the time, well..... would you pls tell me how to judge the spins?? by the duration of time?

Yukari, certainly she should get more marks........Frankly speaking, I think she's the one whose PCS should be of high marks. No errors in her SP, and she did intepretate the music well.

bekalc

Record Breaker
:frown::cry:

Totally disagree with you.

Didn't you watch the vedio yesterday?? Mao is the least popular in Korea than anyone else.
I was a bit puzzled when Korean show more interest in Miki, Yukari and Carolina, you know, korean news are more concerned with Mao and they did do some TV shows of her; however the audiences show no interest in Mao, sounds like they waste lots of time and energy in trash:rofl:

I think the scores for Joannie is.......like disaster to me.......:cry:

LOL! Such a typo I mean t Mao is as popular in Japan as Yu-na is in Korea...

Kinga

Medalist

It is actually annoying when people have to look at protocols in order to figure out who should be first. All casual fans should be able to do that WITHOUT looking at the protocols. It kills this sport and this is what we often complain against here. And I am totally objective here, because I dont lurve either Mao's nor Yuna's SP. Plus, even without looking at protocols, just according to our personal taste, figure skating fans should be allowed to express their opinions of who should be placed first, shouldnt they?

It is actually annoying when people have to look at protocols in order to figure out who should be first. All casual fans should be able to do that WITHOUT looking at the protocols. It kills this sport and this is what we often complain against here. And I am totally objective here, because I dont lurve either Mao's nor Yuna's SP. Plus, even without looking at protocols, just according to our personal taste, figure skating fans should be allowed to express their opinions of who should be placed first, shouldnt they?
That's just the problem.

Under ordinal judging, every fan could have an opinion as to who he/she thought deserved to win. Sometimes my opinions were the same as the judges, sometimes not. That's sport.

Now -- there is such a wide disconnect between what the fan sees on the ice and what actually determines who wins and loses, that the fan just sits there dully until the protocols come up.

Maybe it would be better if the competition were held behind closed doors beforehand. Then the audience could come to the exhibition gala, where they could not only enjoy the performances but also would be informed as to who won.

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
Mao

TES(=35.70)
1. 3F-3L <7.0 -1.8 = 5.2
2. 3L 6.0 0.8 = 6.8
3. SpSq4 3.4 1.4 = 4.8
4. FS Sp4 3.0 0.2 = 3.2
5. 2A 3.5 1.0 = 4.5
6. CiSt3 3.3 0.6 = 3.9
7. CCoSp4 3.5 0.5 = 4.0
8.LSp3 2.4 0.9 = 3.3

PCS(=29.68)
Skating skill - 7.65
Transition - 7.10
Performance - 7.45
Choreography - 7.55
Interpretation - 7.35
Total - 37.10
Factor - 0.8
---------------------------------------------

Yuna Kim

TES(=35.50)
1. 3F-3T 9.5 2.0 = 11.5
2. 1L 0.6 -0.3 = 0.3
3. SpSq3 3.1 0.8 = 3.9
4. LSp4 2.7 0.7 = 3.4
5. 2A 3.5 1.2 = 4.7
6. FS Sp4 3.0 0.4 = 3.4
7. SlSt3 3.3 0.7 = 4.0
8. CCoSp4 3.5 0.8 = 4.3

PCS(=30.44)

Skating skill - 7.80
Transition - 7.30
Performance - 7.65
Choreography - 7.65
Interpretation - 7.65
Total - 38.05
Factor - 0.8
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw the whole GPF Ladies competition, and i thought the mark was pretty
acceptable. Some of you say Yuna was overmarked but looking at her protocoll
it's reasonable and she only got the scores for what she did.

her 2nd spiral was little shorter for the qualification of level 4.
that's why she got only level 3. she popped lutz and lost almost the whole mark, so please don't argue with it, she 'lost the mark'.
Please see the protocoll.
she only got 0.3 for single lutz. other than that she was great although i prefer COC or skate america ones.

anyway, her spiral was slow, unstable, neutral edge, and was bit short for
time qualification like Yuna, but some how she got level 4.
except that, i think she did the greates job for this season. but i don't think
the music really suits her... Frankly, it was boring to me
i prefer her LP although one thing i don't like it is that all the jumps are
concentrated on one spot

LOL. Shouldn't the general public watching the performance be able to tell who they think deserved which place? How many actual casual viewers are going to go online and look up the protocols afterwards? And for it bothering you so much to have someone judge placement before viewing protocols, you seem to have very little faith in them yourself as you are criticizing them in the same post that you deem them so important!

I simply believe that in the short program, mistakes that make it so a mandatory element isn't completed should be deemed more important than mistakes that don't affect the mandatory elements. After all, wasn't the original purpose of the SP to judge those elements back to back? Obviously, I know this isn't reflected in CoP, but I wish it were. If I had it my way, the SP would also give minimum levels that the skaters should have for their other non-jump elements as well. If a required element is missed or not completed, it shouldn't count towards the score at all. I think there would be more variety in the SP that way, because skaters would do jumps that they can actually take-off and land correctly rather than risk it on a jump with a higher base value that they still don't do correctly. *shrug*