MEN'S LP and the CHAMPIONSHIP | Page 9 | Golden Skate

MEN'S LP and the CHAMPIONSHIP

turtle

On the Ice
I'm shocked they didn't place Evan over Brandon. Evan only lost by .6 points, but his PCS scores were 7.5 points lower than Jeremy's! I'm surprised that with his reputation he couldn't get the extra point in PCS's. Johnny Weir's PCS's were 2.5 points lower than Brandon's. I guess the judges are over the Evan/Johnny rivalry.

Johnny didn't skate with his usual artistry and passion and his low PCS score reflects that. He looked quite ill and dispirited.

madibe

On the Ice
They did. i found the judging went according to what the ISU judges did. Very encouraging to see this, it will serve US skating in the future.

Do you really think Mroz would receive higher PCS scores than Evan in international competition? I'd love to see everyone get the marks they deserve but the second mark still has a lot to do with reputation, even now.

Final Flight
Do you really think Mroz would receive higher PCS scores than Evan in international competition? I'd love to see everyone get the marks they deserve but the second mark still has a lot to do with reputation, even now.

dont assume

technically who is LEGALLY going to worlds?
how many spots?

lmarie086

Medalist
Brian JOUBERT looser with his Personal Best Total Score 240.85 =)))))) LOL =)

That's unnecessary.

True, but Evan doesn't seem to have nearly the reputation he did just last season. I don't know that Mroz would receive higher PCS, but if he keeps skating like he apparently did here (building up his own reputation) then he very well could soon.

herios

Medalist

Evan will go to Worlds no question about it. And for the qualifications you need your top 2 to score well, Jeremy and Evan could do it.

Very surprising and partly distressing event. I wish Johnny's team had made it clear beforehand that he was skating sick, instead of after. (Or did I miss that?)

All this season I was waiting next to the "Jeremy bandwagon" because, first, he didn't quite convince me with his programs, and second, he's too close to Johnny territory with his subtlety and style. But this time he won me over. He even sold me the FP, despite all the mistakes.

But... Mroz's FP was better!!! First time I've seen him (didn't see his SP) - he was totally off my radar screen. I actually thought he would and should beat out Jeremy for the Gold.

Jeremy, Mroz and Johnnny must go to Worlds. Like Scott said, Johnny earned that 3rd spot, he owns it.

Congrats to the podium and the coach of the year, Tom Z.... at Broadmoor.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
herios said:
They did. i found the judging went according to what the ISU judges did. Very encouraging to see this, it will serve US skating in the future.

I think that's true, but it is also true that I have no interest in watching Jeremy Abbott skate. I can recognize that he meets and exceeds the COP rules, and should score well, but I wouldn't pay to see him, either in competition or in a show.

I have seen him skate live several times, and other than remembering whether he won or lost, I couldn't tell you what he skated to, or any move he did.

And I think that's a problem for US skating as a whole...you need to have a lot of ordinary dim-witted people (like me) to fill the seats.

I have also seen Johnny, Ryan and Brandon skate live, and I would pay to see any of them skate any time. Evan, maybe. It depends on how much it cost. Jeremy? Not. So if Jeremy is what a skater in the US is supposed to be, I'm not paying.

I'm going to all the dance events I can though.

Last edited:

lmarie086

Medalist
I'd like to see Johnny at Worlds rather than Evan, but his performances here worry me. He's not healthy (losing 8 pounds sounds scary, no wonder he seemed so off!), his stamina is worse. I do think he might benefit from ending his season now and focusing on getting healthy and regaining his strength to really make an impact in the Olympic season.

jumpjumpjump

On the Ice
I just think we should go with the top 3 from Nationals.. doesn't matter if we like them or not. Same for other disciplines, the top 2 or 3 should go to Worlds.

paralegalmkfan

Rinkside
IMHO, they should name Jeremy and Brandon to the world team and send Evan, Ryan and Johnny to 4CC to determine the 3rd world team spot. JMHO

Final Flight
I just think we should go with the top 3 from Nationals.. doesn't matter if we like them or not. Same for other disciplines, the top 2 or 3 should go to Worlds.

exactly. rules are rules. they earned them. this sport is like.....80% "chance"

turtle

On the Ice
IMHO, they should name Jeremy and Brandon to the world team and send Evan, Ryan and Johnny to 4CC to determine the 3rd world team spot. JMHO

That won't work. Johhny said he wasn't ready for this competition as he had lost a lot of training time due to illness. The 4CC is in a week and that doesn't give him much time to make any significant difference.

centerpt1

On the Ice
I think the 3 medalists should go to worlds...and Brandon should be one of the ones to go to 4CC -to get more time in front of international judges. Evan and Ryan can go to 4CC. Let Jeremy stay home from 4CC he was sick between COR and GPF, and he's been hoarse and coughing this week at Nats. I think he needs a rest. Johnny really needs time to recover, so no 4CC for him.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
What a Nationals!! New champions in every venue.

Awesome.

Dizzy

except for pairs. first repeat champs since Kyoko and John.

exactly. rules are rules. they earned them. this sport is like.....80% "chance"

You're confusing "rules" with "tradition". There is nothing in the rulebook that says the skaters that place 1-2-3 are automatically the world team. TRADITION has been that that's how they were chosen. But the USFSA is slowly going more the way of their European and Japanese counterparts and using other competitions plus the nationals standings to choose the big team.

Last edited:
I have this radical idea...let's just send the top 3 guys from Nationals. I know the concept of "earning it fair and square" is quaint & outdated, but these 3 earned it today. I mean, as long as we're sending Czisny....