Ladies SP | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Ladies SP

ANW

On the Ice
I am not really surprised, remember in 07 GPF, Zhang 2nd after SP behind Yu-Na, Asada was the last. Pretty much anyone can beat Asada in SP.
Most surprising thing is how low Asada is. Behind Zhang, now I never would have thought. That's the only thing stopping me from saying the US is completely toast. Even then, that obviously won't hold to the end. otherwise, very predictable. and boooooring.

R.D.

Record Breaker
All in all, why are the ladies so boring? Really, I often switch of the music and do something else after they are done with the jumps.

wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one who found this comp really boring for some reason. Something's missing. No drama, no excitement. And this is even with some of the top names in the field. Bleh.

McWicked

On the Ice
So the american ladies are not doin that great... question is "how badly our american ladies have to do to get us only A spot at worlds???"

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Nice skate from Joannie she deserves to be in second.

And our little slow as molasses, sleepwalker, mulekicking Carolline is in 5th place. That is quite an accomplishment. She skated a good clean
short program. I knew she had it in her somewhere. I bet she is feeling pretty good right now and a season best will boost her confidence. Who knows where she will place after the LP but for right know I am very happy for her.

Last edited:

ANW

On the Ice
you don't think Rachael is fast. do you?
Nice skate from Joannie she deserves to be in second.

And our little slow as molasses, sleepwalker, mulekicking Carolline is in 5th place. That is quite an accomplishment. She skated a good clean
short program. I knew she had it in her somewhere..I bet she is feeling pretty good right now. Who knows where she will place after the LP but for right know I am very happy for her.

Particle Man

Match Penalty
wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one who found this comp really boring for some reason. Something's missing. No drama, no excitement. And this is even with some of the top names in the field. Bleh.

I agree with you for once. Yu-Na breaks a record and I'm like -- So? She does nothing for me. I find her to be improving in artistry but still just really boring. Overrated to the extreme, Yu-Na is the living embodiment of the completely broken nature of the code of points system. I don't hate her, I'm sure she's a nice person and obviously knows how to earn points. And... so what.

In fact the only short program that interested me was the Beetlejuice one from the Mexican girl. :rofl: Otherwise I was just looking at people's points and calculating how screwed the US will be this time around. Alissa faltered, Rachael faltered, Caroline did better than expected. If that holds after the FS, the USFSA will be pulling their hair out.

turtle

On the Ice
I still expect Mao to end up on the podium along with YuNa and Rochette. I hope that Alissa will skate much better tomorrow to shake off all the doubts people have about her as a champion.

shallwedansu

On the Ice
I agree with you for once. Yu-Na breaks a record and I'm like -- So? She does nothing for me. I find her to be improving in artistry but still just really boring. Overrated to the extreme, Yu-Na is the living embodiment of the completely broken nature of the code of points system. I don't hate her, I'm sure she's a nice person and obviously knows how to earn points. And... so what.
I don't know... I don't call skaters overrated unless they're handed medals they don't deserve. I mean, Yu-Na isn't even a world champion yet, so I would hold off on calling her overrated.

tarotx

On the Ice
Mao has barely been coached this season (she really needs to get a full time coach for next season) but I think by the time worlds hits this season she should have had a little bit more with Tatiana. I think it'll help a little.

I think Yu na still has more to give. She was awesome don't get me wrong but she wasn't perfect (though it was nearly so)

The American's are pretty even. We'll see if Rachael can go clean. I think this is her first big international event (Caroline went to GPF last season) and the nerves hit. You could tell in warm up that something was up with her. I hope Alissa hits though I rather she hit at worlds. Caroline skated the best she has all year I think. She keeps getting better. Too bad we don't have 3 at worlds.

demarinis5

Record Breaker
you don't think Rachael is fast. do you?

Not particularly. I think you misunderstood my post. The first sentence of my post are what other posters have said about Caroline in the past and I was being facetious..People on this board know that I am a Caroline fan.

oleada

Record Breaker
I agree that it wasn't the most exciting competition but, I thought Yu-Na was fantastic. Breathtaking, gorgeous, exciting, perfect, this is a skate that would score well under any system. She's really improved her layback and her spiral - she got tremendous ice coverage and her positions really improved. I thought her expression and her intensity and all her movements were spot-on to the music.

I don't know what you were watching - that was a fantastic skate. And I say this as a huge Mao fan who's heart broken she skated so poorly.

Morning Glory

On the Ice
I heard that Korean commentator said Yuna got ! for her flip.

Anyone has the right information? If this is wrong, very sorry...

R.D.

Record Breaker

I completely agree. She knows how to work the system. She has a lot of fans. I'm not one of them. (And neither are you, it seems, so I'm not alone.)

In fact the only short program that interested me was the Beetlejuice one from the Mexican girl. :rofl:

hehe. I didn't even start actually watching the comp. until the group with the Americans came on. Before that, I decided to watch my recording of 24 instead. At least that has thrills in it :laugh:

Otherwise I was just looking at people's points and calculating how screwed the US will be this time around. Alissa faltered, Rachael faltered, Caroline did better than expected. If that holds after the FS, the USFSA will be pulling their hair out.

USFS can't do anything. The Nationals are the qualifying comp and what's done is done. This is another comp. And it's not over. At least the Americans are bunched together so they can at least pull up to the 3-6 place positions. Yuna and Rochette are obviously in outer space and therefore can't be found.

well, off to bed for me. yawn, good night.

demarinis5

Record Breaker
I agree that it wasn't the most exciting competition but, I thought Yu-Na was fantastic. Breathtaking, gorgeous, exciting, perfect, this is a skate that would score well under any system. She's really improved her layback and her spiral - she got tremendous ice coverage and her positions really improved. I thought her expression and her intensity and all her movements were spot-on to the music.

I don't know what you were watching - that was a fantastic skate. And I say this as a huge Mao fan who's heart broken she skated so poorly.

Thank you and ITA.. I could not have said it better myself.

ks777

Record Breaker

In fact the only short program that interested me was the Beetlejuice one from the Mexican girl. :rofl: Otherwise I was just looking at people's points and calculating how screwed the US will be this time around. Alissa faltered, Rachael faltered, Caroline did better than expected. If that holds after the FS, the USFSA will be pulling their hair out.

I like Yuna's SP much better than Mao's. I am a Mao fan but her programs this season does nothing for me. Mao is just out there skating to gather points. I don't feel like she is expressing the music at all. Yuna might not have the best spirals or good flexibility but she still express the music better than Mao.

Other than Yuna, I really enjoyed Cynthia's SP. Joannie was ok, I don't really care for her SP.

McWicked

On the Ice
Again... american ladies didnt do that well and the european ladies are not here. So how badly do we have to do to get only a spot at worlds???

Particle Man

Match Penalty
I may be biased against Yu-Na, however, it's not just cause she beats our faces in. Mao usually beats our faces in too, but I think Mao has much better artistry. Artistry used to count. It still counts with me, even if it doesn't count on the podium. I really like the programs Mao has done lately, last season's especially. And yes, the rankings MIGHT not be much different in this situation under 6.0, but my point is that someone like Yu-Na (shouldn't we type Yun-a? But I digress...) can break records with a program that a lot of people find to be boring. It just highlights the flaws in CoP. Skating should be judged, not calculated. Yun-a is the master of the calculating system of CoP. If you happen to like her, well, good for you.

I'll say this to her credit... I like Yun-a's skating significantly better than I liked Shizuka Arikawa. So if Yun-a tops the podium next year in Vancouver, I won't be as nauseous as in 2006.

oleada

Record Breaker
well, clearly the people at the arena didn't find it boring - she got a standing ovation.

I think few skaters use the music as well as Yu-Na does. She looks stone faced in practice and warm-up but she totally comes alive during the performance. She is fierce. I find her very artistic. And her programs are pretty complex, from the choreography point of view.