Canadian skater Commits Suicide After Bullying | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Canadian skater Commits Suicide After Bullying

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Good on Katarina Witt!

"We have a code of conduct, and any situation that we disapprove of, we have set procedures and deal with," said Israel Bordanich, assistant superintendent of North Rockland County School District.

Clearly then, Asst. Superintendent Bordanich approves of one boy holding another down so a third boy can kick him in the butt, damaging him severely.

Poodlepal

On the Ice
In the Asian country that I grew up in, we had bullying. However, we also had (and continue to have) teachers who were the final word on discipline at school. Sure, you can bully the other kids, but if they tell on you, or the teacher catches you, you are pretty much toast.

Exactly. I am a teacher in NJ, where there are strict bullying laws, enacted by a Republican governor. If there weren't these standards, kids would not be punished for bullying or anything else much, really. I had a student mouth off at me pretty bad two weeks ago. I sent her to the principal, expecting that she would give her detention or an in-school suspension. Nothing. I had to file a bullying report, saying that she had humiliated me and intimidated me (which is true), in order to get her even the most minor punishment. Last year a girl shook her fist in another girl's face, and if it weren't for the bullying complaint, nothing would have happened to her.

Interestingly, some left-wing people hate the bullying law because they hate the governor (for reasons unrelated to bullying, mostly due to budget cuts), and are now saying that bullying is normal and healthy and you need to be subjected to it in order to find your place in the world, etc. Some education teacher said that at lunch at a meeting and I wanted to smack him.

The best thing we can do is improve discipline in school. We will never stop macho guys from looking down on effeminate guys, at least not with 100% success. But it's one thing if the football player rolls his eyes as the figure skater boy discusses his sequins and feathers. It's another if he tries to beat him up.

skatinginbc

Medalist
I am a teacher in NJ....

I am just curious: Was anti-bullying part of the curriculum in the teacher education program when you received it? Has there been any anti-bullying seminar or on-the-job training made available for you through the school board after you became a teacher?

Last edited:
Interestingly, some left-wing people hate the bullying law because they hate the governor (for reasons unrelated to bullying, mostly due to budget cuts), and are now saying that bullying is normal and healthy and you need to be subjected to it in order to find your place in the world, etc. Some education teacher said that at lunch at a meeting and I wanted to smack him.

I always get so distressed when I hear something like this. Is it impossible for us ever to support a good idea if someone from the "wrong" side came up with it? I wish we would all grow up and learn to work together for the common good. I must say, though, I'm surprised to hear that a whole group of people is saying that bullying is normal and healthy. Everyone I know (and I know people across the political spectrum) thinks it's poisonous and should be stopped whenever possible. It may be normal in the sense that it's widespread, but it's emphatically not healthful for either the victims or the perpetrators.

I think a lot of people who don't have much to do with schools don't realize what a harsh environment some schools have become--not just for students but also for teachers. I'm sorry to hear that you have so little backup in your school district.

I'm not surprised that Witt would take a stand. She always seemed like a good sport (well, after she was free of East Germany and had turned pro and traveled with the Stars on Ice folk), and she seemed very supportive of a wide variety of people. For someone who grew up under stringent authority, she never seemed to me to care about what other people might say about her, and it takes a streak of that to speak up at a time like this.

prettykeys

Medalist
Exactly. I am a teacher in NJ, where there are strict bullying laws, enacted by a Republican governor. If there weren't these standards, kids would not be punished for bullying or anything else much, really. I had a student mouth off at me pretty bad two weeks ago. I sent her to the principal, expecting that she would give her detention or an in-school suspension. Nothing. I had to file a bullying report, saying that she had humiliated me and intimidated me (which is true), in order to get her even the most minor punishment. Last year a girl shook her fist in another girl's face, and if it weren't for the bullying complaint, nothing would have happened to her.

The best thing we can do is improve discipline in school. We will never stop macho guys from looking down on effeminate guys, at least not with 100% success. But it's one thing if the football player rolls his eyes as the figure skater boy discusses his sequins and feathers. It's another if he tries to beat him up.
Poodlepal that really sucks for you. I have also seen teachers be bullied by students (one lady left our 6th grade classroom in tears and never came back.) It wasn't just an isolated incident or two, the kids would constantly call her "Madame Grosso" when her name was S-----grosso and disrespect her in other ways. It does not help when the other adults of authority are not consistent in setting the rules and punishing badly behaving students.

Bullying is NOT normal, and what's worse is that a single instigator can incite and spread that behaviour in others.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I dealt with it all through school (and online, from adults believe it or not), just because I didn't date and because of religious beliefs. I was told I brought it on myself. And after a while I believed it.

Toni, I always admired your morals and values and didn't realize that you were going through this. I feel badly that I didn't make my admiration known.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Good for Katarina. I hope others will follow her example and reach out to kids.

I always get so distressed when I hear something like this. Is it impossible for us ever to support a good idea if someone from the "wrong" side came up with it? I wish we would all grow up and learn to work together for the common good. I must say, though, I'm surprised to hear that a whole group of people is saying that bullying is normal and healthy. Everyone I know (and I know people across the political spectrum) thinks it's poisonous and should be stopped whenever possible. It may be normal in the sense that it's widespread, but it's emphatically not healthful for either the victims or the perpetrators.

I think a lot of people who don't have much to do with schools don't realize what a harsh environment some schools have become--not just for students but also for teachers. I'm sorry to hear that you have so little backup in your school district.

I'm not surprised that Witt would take a stand. She always seemed like a good sport (well, after she was free of East Germany and had turned pro and traveled with the Stars on Ice folk), and she seemed very supportive of a wide variety of people. For someone who grew up under stringent authority, she never seemed to me to care about what other people might say about her, and it takes a streak of that to speak up at a time like this.

Poodlepal that really sucks for you. I have also seen teachers be bullied by students (one lady left our 6th grade classroom in tears and never came back.) It wasn't just an isolated incident or two, the kids would constantly call her "Madame Grosso" when her name was S-----grosso and disrespect her in other ways. It does not help when the other adults of authority are not consistent in setting the rules and punishing badly behaving students.

Bullying is NOT normal, and what's worse is that a single instigator can incite and spread that behaviour in others.

Toni, I always admired your morals and values and didn't realize that you were going through this. I feel badly that I didn't make my admiration known.

:thumbsup:

No one should have to be subjected to bullying. My thoughts and prayers go out to Jamie's family, friends, and all who have struggled with this terrible experience in their lives.

Last edited:

jcoates

Medalist

I second that sentiment. Toni, you are always appreciated here even if others give you a hard time. :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
according to the BotB's facebook all of the teams recorded videos. and tonights show was dedicated to Jamie.

skatinginbc

Medalist
Hockey players and figure skaters spoke out against bullying!!! Their efforts and good hearts touched me deeply.

Last edited:

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Exactly. I am a teacher in NJ, where there are strict bullying laws, enacted by a Republican governor. [...]

Interestingly, some left-wing people hate the bullying law because they hate the governor (for reasons unrelated to bullying, mostly due to budget cuts), and are now saying that bullying is normal and healthy and you need to be subjected to it in order to find your place in the world, etc.

Oh goodness, so much partisan misinformation here. The Anti-Bullying Bill of Rights wasn't "enacted" by the governor. It wasn't something he pushed or campaigned for. It was written by a bipartisan group of state legislatures (with mostly Democrats) who worked on it for over a year. Then, spurred by the Rutgers spycam suicide, it was passed by the state legislature, where both chambers are led by Democrats, with veto-proof margins. The governor rubber stamped it without comment. By the way, the only person who voted against it was a Republican. People who object to this law aren't doing so because a Republican governor didn't make a symbolic gesture to try to stop it.

Last edited:

jcoates

Medalist
Toni,

thanks for the rest of the links. I forwarded them to some blogs I read regularly and to Aunt Joyce. Hopefully one or all will post the vids and spread their impact.