LADIES LONG PROGRAM Thread | Page 8 | Golden Skate

LADIES LONG PROGRAM Thread

Krislite

Medalist
Lovely performance from Mao as usual! I do agree with BoP that her choreo from 2010 Nationals is superior, but if Mao can pull off a more consistent and clean performance with this rework then I'm not too disappointed. It's wonderful too see her smile like that at the end. :)

No 3A in this competition at all. She should definitely just omit it for now. She doesn't need it anyway, considering the competition this season.

FTnoona

Final Flight
Mao's speed has definitely improved. The 2A-3T is proof of her increased speed. I was very impressed by the ride out of the 2A which gave her enough speed to fully rotate the 3T at the end. Her jumps looked higher too. As a whole performance from first glance the only noticeable mistake I saw as the 2foot on the 3Loop.

prettykeys

Medalist
Oh, what Mao did was lovely. She had similar technical content to what most of the other girls are doing this season, but it looked so easy on her, despite a few minor mistakes. As before ;) I will say I prefer this version than the old LP. I like the mini-spiral at the end, it reminds me of a bonsai tree--a miniature, pretty thing as opposed to something grand. :biggrin:

I never had doubt that Mao would regain her skating confidence and glory. She's not all there yet but undeniably on her way. However, this competition raises two questions for me. One is about her 3A. Wouldn't it have been a better strategy, as per conventional wisdom, for her to attempt it in the LP rather than the SP, where any mistake is more unforgiving as well as having a negative mental impact on the LP? She went against her coach's advice and did it in the SP as if to prove something to herself and then played it safe in the Long. As it was, she couldn't afford the risk in the LP either, seeing the errors even without a 3A attempt.
Perhaps she was undecided about the Axel in the SP, but before the Long she decided to just do the 2A. Also, I mentioned it in the Mao NHK thread in the Edge, but I want to reiterate that her interview http://www.goldenskate.com/2011/11/suzuki-claims-ladies-short-at-nhk-trophy/ shows that she did not exactly go against her coach:

“The jumps affected my result today,” noted Asada, “but my goal is to go with the flow when it comes to the first jump and let the program flow. I think I did that today. I was practicing the jump and I felt ready for the triple Axel. My coach told me maybe it is better to go for a double Axel, but he also told me that it is my choice.”

So...I'm glad she tried the 2A for once, and I hope she sticks to it (as others have said) for the rest of this season while she's working on her other techniques.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
Mao brought tears to my eyes, so glad to see the happy smile on her face again. I like the white boots too. Her programs this season ( I know the lp is from last year, but it was never skated to it's potential) and the new attitude she should be great! I wish Mao get gold again in big gatherings.

Mao brought tears to my eyes, so glad to see the happy smile on her face again. I like the white boots too. Her programs this season ( I know the lp is from last year, but it was never skated to it's potential) and the new attitude she should be great! I wish Mao get gold again in big gatherings.

Amen to that! It's interesting: on one of the other threads, someone referred to "the eye of the tiger," a wonderful way to express the full-steam-ahead determination that people like Michelle Kwan and Evgeny Plushenko have. I realize that one of the many things that make Mao a great skater is that she also has this quality. If she has a bad season, she keeps plugging away at her training. If she has a bad short program, she claws her way up to the top or near the top. This is one reason I'll never give up on her: she never gives up on herself. That, and the fact that she skates with the grace of a dancer.

prettykeys

Medalist
It's interesting: on one of the other threads, someone referred to "the eye of the tiger," a wonderful way to express the full-steam-ahead determination
That was Nadine :laugh: I loved that expression too, and I listened to the song again when she reminded me of it.

Really? At 2:09 and 3:36 in the video provided in this thread, the spin combos go so well with the music it seems. A lovely match.

That was what struck me most impressively, too. :clap:

prettykeys said:
I like the mini-spiral at the end, it reminds me of a bonsai tree--a miniature, pretty thing as opposed to something grand.

Also that! :yes:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Just noticed something interesting about Alena Leonova's protocals.

Element 3 is a 3F (in SC it was a 3Z)
Element 5 is 2F-2T (which seems like a popped jump)
Element 8 is a 3F-2T

So if she didn't pop the jump in Element 5, she would have done two 3F in the judges eyes and element 8 would have been invalidated. costing her 7.66 points and the bronze medal.

I don't get why Alena does not penalized for doing three triple flips. As others say, she doesn't even try to hide it.

burntBREAD

Medalist
Just noticed something interesting about Alena Leonova's protocals.

Element 3 is a 3F (in SC it was a 3Z)
Element 5 is 2F-2T (which seems like a popped jump)
Element 8 is a 3F-2T

So if she didn't pop the jump in Element 5, she would have done two 3F in the judges eyes and element 8 would have been invalidated. costing her 7.66 points and the bronze medal.

I don't get why Alena does not penalized for doing three triple flips. As others say, she doesn't even try to hide it.

I bet they tried to pass the first one off as a 3Lz but the judges called it as a 3F, because that's what her 3Lz IS.

christinaskater

Medalist
I'm excited for Akiko because she is having a truly wonderful season. I am very happy she is getting those huge PCS scores she rightfully deserves. I do think she is capable of 8's in nearly all the PCS scores. She is truly special. I reckon she really felt heaps of pressure heading to the free program after an exquisite SP.

What if Akiko landed those 2 triples cleanly then she would have scored 8's on the PCS and 190+ heading to 200 on the combined total which is huge.

mhu714

On the Ice
Just finished watchint the replay on Ice Network. I've seen posts stating Ashley W was underscored, which I totally agreed with, in both tech and composition. Even Gedevanshvilli, who's a pwerful skater but has the grace of a linebacker, and Leonova, who clearly skated poorly in spots, scored higher in PCS! Can someone please explain why Ashley was scored so low? I thought she was lovely and lyrical and landed her jumps. I'm guessing a few of them were wrong edge? Was she slow? Was she really

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
When they all stood on the podium did anyone notice Alena is a lot shorter than Akiko and Mao when her profile on icenetwork says she's 5'5 , Akiko 5'2 and Mao 5'4 !
I know it is out of topic but look at this

http://oneclick.indiatimes.com/photo/08Bre4hfYl5pl?q=Suzuki

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/gallery...98f8ae77567a35d276f5c49f348-getty-507158322:1

I need earlier pictures of Mao and Akiko together to verify if Mao has indeed grown taller, accounting for her recent thinness and, perhaps, jump problems.

Last edited:

genki

On the Ice
I wanted Mao to win, but I loved Akiko:confused:

anyway, congrats for both of you. You guys are the best.:)