The Bridesmaid Syndrome | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The Bridesmaid Syndrome

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Paul also was second in 1992.

Yes that is true. I forgot he ended up a controversial 2nd over Mark Mitchell after Eldredge withdrew (Bowman was the easy and landslide winner) and he and Eldredge were both controversial and debated choices to the Olympic team over Mitchell who nearly everyone felt should have beaten Paul at Nationals that year (while Todd was clearly not in shape for the Games it turned out).

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Kim Navarro referred to herself and Brent Bommentre as always the bridesmaids, never the brides after being only first alternates for the Olympic team in 2010 and the 2009? Worlds.

In ladies, I would add Fumie Suguri to this list. She was always up there in placement at the World championships, until a couple of years ago, but she never got the title. Same with Yukari Nakano, but she's already been mentioned. Rosalynn Sumners maybe, although IIRC she did win a world championship or two.

I can't think of many other men. Maybe Alexander Abt, since Alexei and Evgeny were always winning world titles while he would finish in the top 10 but never medal.

In pairs, Brasseur and Eisler were kind of the bridesmaids for the Olympics, with the two bronze medals behind teams they were capable of beating on other nights (well, excluding G&G maybe), even though they did win a world title. Also, Petrova and Tikhonov, even though they won one world title, usually skated in Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze's shadow.

Belbin and Agosto and Delobel and Schoenfelder in dance.. how many 4ths did D&S get at Worlds?!

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Also, Angela finished 5th in 2001 at Worlds with a brilliant showing behind four women who won 5 Olympic medals and 8 World championships. I really believe she would have ranked far higher in skating history had she skated in a different era.

I loved Angela, but I don't agree with this. For me her issue was that her performances had no spark whatsoever. The programs were partly to blame because I liked her more when she switched coaches and finished 5th at Worlds, but even then she was a bit one note (IMO), only able to do soft, gentle programs well.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Candeloro? Runner up at Euros (twice), Worlds (once) as well as bronze medalist at Worlds and Olympics (twice)

Definitely Petrova/Tikhonov.

jcoates

Medalist
I loved Angela, but I don't agree with this. For me her issue was that her performances had no spark whatsoever. The programs were partly to blame because I liked her more when she switched coaches and finished 5th at Worlds, but even then she was a bit one note (IMO), only able to do soft, gentle programs well.

That is exactly my point. Soft gentle programs with solid triple jumps from all the takeoffs but axel, great basic positions, good speed and strong edging would have put her on the world podium ahead many less consistent skaters from the decade before her or after her. (BTW, I'm not really a fan of variety across a skater's repertoire of programs simply for the sake of variety. The programs have to first amplify the skater's skills and best qualities and minimize their weaknesses. Soft gentle programs did that best for Angela, while her previous efforts did not.) Other countries, especially during her era, would have killed have a woman of Angela's quality. Heck, the US would kill to have her now given the awful slump our girls have been in. I also think she would have been a good COP skater.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
So, a "bridesmaid" is simply a great skater who medals often without the Big Gold or has only one of those. Most of the best skaters fit the mold, especially if they happen to be competing at the same time as a dominant competitor who cleans up the big prizes.

In the days of Sonja Henie, practically every other excellent skater was a bridesmaid. Might we count Maribel Vinson?

I think the skaters most deserving of the "bridesmaid" title on the world scene were probably Orser, Bonaly, and Usova/Zhulin. I really, really wanted Usova/Zhulin to win the 1994 Olympics. They had such gorgeous style and fluidity, while I found Grishschuk/Platov rather hectic and unengaging by comparison.

ETA: And Sasha. Sigh, I really wanted her to win at least one Worlds. But at least she got an Olympic medal, though it wasn't the gold.

Janet Lynn and Toller Cranston are in a special category. They were both done in by school figures, and interestingly they're both more memorable and more important to the history of skating than almost anyone who beat them through their careers, (except John Curry, of course).

Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
In pairs, Brasseur and Eisler were kind of the bridesmaids for the Olympics, with the two bronze medals behind teams they were capable of beating on other nights (well, excluding G&G maybe), even though they did win a world title.

Brasseur & Eisler's last ever win over Miskutienok & Dmitriev was NHK 1990. They were not capable of beating them in most nights, or any nights really. Brasseur & Eisler had a chance at silver or gold in 92 since they should have outskated Bechke & Petrov, and Miskutienok & Dmitriev had mistakes so maybe they could have beaten them on this one occasion only. Howver at the 94 Olympics there wasnt any hope they would do better than bronze.

Binthere

On the Ice
I was thinking Mark Mitchell as well. In the US now, Brandon Mroz probably has the largest collection of silver medals from every level at US Nationals.
In dance, Carol Fox and Richard Dalley in the US, 6th at worlds but always runners up to Blumberg/Siebert.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
In today's ice dance, I'd say Pechalat/Bourzat and Weaver/Poje are fast becoming bridesmaids.

silverpond

On the Ice
Most definitely, Janet Lynn qualifies as a "bridesmaid" on the international stage, as she never won a World or Olympic title - silver & bronze at Worlds and bronze at the Olympics. Lynn did win five straight US titles, so she wasn't exactly a person who never won a major title. The school figures were her undoing, unfortunately, as she was regarded as the best free skater of her era.

Several posters mentioned Sasha Cohen as the ultimate "bridesmaid". Agreed! This lady made a habit of winning the short program, then falling and/or making other mistakes in the long program to finish second or third.

In ice dance, I would add Judy Blumberg and Michael Seibert, who won several US titles but had the misfortune of sharing the ice with the legandary Torvill and Dean. Blumberg and Seibert, IMHO, should have won the Olympic bronze at Sarajevo, yet were relegated to fourth place in the final standings.

silverpond

On the Ice
Dear pangtongfan - How I wish you could (or would) refrain from your negative posts. You always seem to enjoy picking apart what everybody else has to say. May I respectfully ask that you show some respect for other people's opinions? You are the one who is redundant, IMHO.

From now on, I'm not going to bother reading anything you write.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If we're including skaters who sometimes were a bride, then Sarah Hughes qualifies. She was a perpetual also-ran at Nationals and Worlds, except when she won the Olympics.

silverpond

On the Ice
If we're including skaters who sometimes were a bride, then Sarah Hughes qualifies. She was a perpetual also-ran at Nationals and Worlds, except when she won the Olympics.

Yes! Sarah Hughes scored big at Salt Lake City with the Olympic Gold Medal, but never won a US or World title. She was usually always in the hunt for medals, and had a number of 2nd and 3rd place finishes.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Yes! Sarah Hughes scored big at Salt Lake City with the Olympic Gold Medal, but never won a US or World title. She was usually always in the hunt for medals, and had a number of 2nd and 3rd place finishes.

That was the case of a maid of honor stealing the groom.

sorcerer

Final Flight
Nobu seems to have always stayed the best man to the bridegroom Dai (except when he was injured and away).
In private life he was quicker to get a bride which we all know.

To me, Nobu's brightest moment on the senior ice scene was TEB '09.
I hope he outshines himself this season.

koheikun90

On the Ice
The biggest bridesmaids in skating were...

Men: Johnny Weir to Evan Lysacek
Ladies: Surya Bonaly (3 time world silver medalist and she was an angry one in 1994)
Pairs: Pang/Tong to Shen/Zhao
Dance: Krylova/Ovsiannikov to Grishuk/Platov

russell30

Final Flight
Yes, Surya was very unlucky, but she turned out to be one of the best show skaters around, her home in Las Vegas is stunning.