The ten best figure skaters who never won an olympic medal | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The ten best figure skaters who never won an olympic medal

Dragonlady

Final Flight
This is relatively easy:

Kurt Browning
Michelle Kwan
Janet Lynn
Martini & Underhill
Krylova & Ovsyannikov
Toller Cranston
Brian Orser
Midori Ito
Jeff Buttle
The Duschenes

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
This is relatively easy:

Kurt Browning
Michelle Kwan
Janet Lynn
Martini & Underhill
Krylova & Ovsyannikov
Toller Cranston
Brian Orser
Midori Ito
Jeff Buttle
The Duschenes

I can't believe I forgot Underhill/Martini on my list of people who never won an Olympic medal of any kind! I kind of wish they had stayed around until 88. I think they could have displaced the American team that won bronze that year...maybe even challenged Valova/Vasiliev for the silver!

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is relatively easy:

Kurt Browning
Michelle Kwan
Janet Lynn
Martini & Underhill
Krylova & Ovsyannikov
Toller Cranston
Brian Orser
Midori Ito
Jeff Buttle
The Duschenes

This list is for those skaters who never won an Olympic medal of any kind not a Gold medal.

Josie

Rinkside
This list is for those skaters who never won an Olympic medal of any kind not a Gold medal.

Forgive me for joining in so bluntly...I've been reading in the forum for a couple of days now.
According to the title of the thread, we're looking for skaters who have never won any Olympic medal of any colour.
From the list above, only Kurt Browning and Underhill/Martini are fulfilling this criterion.
As for the others:
Michelle Kwan - silver '98, Bronze '02
Janet Lynn - Bronze '72
Krylova/Ovsyannikov - Silver '98
Toller Cranston - Bronze '76
Brian Orser - Silver '84 and '88
Midori Ito - Silver '92
Jeff Buttle - Bronze '06
The Duchesnays - Silver '92

I can't believe I forgot Underhill/Martini on my list of people who never won an Olympic medal of any kind! I kind of wish they had stayed around until 88. I think they could have displaced the American team that won bronze that year...maybe even challenged Valova/Vasiliev for the silver!

I'm with you, Blue Dog, both in wishing they had stayed in until 1988 and in feeling silly for not remembering to list them myself. As pros, they became one of my favorite pairs ever. What smoothness and strength they had.

There is actually an article by this name you can google, but who would you rank 1 thru 10-daunting, I know.

I looked it up. Interesting list, but no Kurt Browning?!

The older historians here could try-an off season work in progress thread. maybe break down to the four disciplines makes it easier? Obviously one can research the older skaters, but maybe we should pick 1900-1960, then 1960-2010 and have two lists as skating has changed so much-that is an arbitrary split, 1960.

Well, nobody has taken up your challenge on skaters before 1960 yet, so here are a couple of skaters who were the victims of bad timing.

After finishing 5th at the 1936 Olympics at age 18, Graham Sharp won world and European silver medals in 1936, 1937, and 1938. In 1939 he was the European and world champion. Sharp was known as a peerless technician in school figures, and the top skater in the world in 1939.

There were no Olympic Games in 1940 or 1944 due to World War II.

Sharp competed in the 1948 Olympics and finished seventh.

Then there were the champions who competed before the Olympic Games began. Pop quiz: What two Hungarian ladies won seven consecutive world championships between them? Lily Kronberger and Opika von Meray Horvath.

On the early 1900s the three top ladies were Madge Syers (Great Britain), Jenny Herz (Austria) and Kronberger. They finished 1-2-3 in that order at 1906 Worlds (the first world championship for ladies) and 1907. At the 1908 Olympic games Herz and Kronberger did not attend and Syers won easily, in a field of 5.

Kronberger won the next four world championships (in 1909 in Budapest she was the only competitor), but figure skating was not contested at the Olympics again until 1920.

Here is Ms. Meray-Horvath in her skating costume.. She was world champion in 1912, 1913, and 1914. World War I intervened and the next world championship was not held until 1922. (Nice hat!)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/63/Opika-von-Meray-Horvath-1910s.jpg

The name Opika von Meray made me look up the (Atchison)-Topeka-Santa Fe, the storied railroad line of the U.S. old southwest. I found out it never went to Santa Fe. (??? You mean Tom Mix and Tex Ritter never had shoot-outs with the bad guys while running along on top of the railroad cars in the lawless New Mexico territory?)

skateluvr

Record Breaker
miki ando, suzuki akiko!

Mary, Miki and Akiko are world medlaists and still very much enroute to Sochi. They are not done. I have a feeling we will see two ladies from japan on podium, IF and only if "Killer Yuna" flops or pulls out. I am expecting something to happen nd a Yu-Na pull-out before Sochi. Not, not wishful thinking! She deserved her Vancouver Gold (plated-6mls-keep in the box yu-na!) and she is capable of blowing everyone out of the water that is returning, including Miki and Mao. She may OT get a real run from Russian babes and Ms Gracie Gold! Who will be the perfect age and seasoned senior..anyway...I really think we should stick to those who are done! Both Mike and even Akiko have it to catch a wave, esp if others falter. Remember MIKI was 5th in Vancouver and 2xWC. She is a jumper and she has improved so much with her in betweeens.

Should we keep it to those who are done? Forum vote from thread participants will decide but as starter I vote for those who were done as of 2010 Olympics.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
when I read the thread title I thought by "figures" you meant the actual figures portion of the competition... Kurt Browning wouldn't make that list - even he admitted so, though he worked his butt off and significantly improved them for the final season they were part of competition.

But I agree, Kurt's the best period... that he has no Olympic hardware doesn't even seem likea blip in his career for me.

Well, I am glad we agree on Kurt, LOL. Always respect your right to opinions, and I fixed the typo to make it clear. I have so little knowledge of who was best at figures portion when we had them, pretty arcane for me, though I know we have Gsers who could start and guide such a thread. I only know Trixie Schuba was so good at these, she somehow beat far better skaters. OT, but I wish they taught figures at all levels and had competitions or some sort of levels decided on and made part of novice and juniors, as this would make for more skaters with edges like so many greats of the past. I wonder, did Chan train "figures'? as a child. I don't think they should bring figures back as there is no time and it is too boring for today's audience. Only diehards want to watch figures. I guess I am a die hard as I would watch it if still part of elite competition. Hey, I watch curling-so what's more boring.

I'm sure GS has had many a thread discussing the merits of figures training and comps. I have a question on the to skaters, but will start another thread as it is OT. Not sure were to place it though. Anyway...back to lists.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Brian Joubert! Continue to Sochi!! If not than he has to be one of the best ever jumpers not to have won a medal. I would like to say Surya Bonaly. Bonaly was just not in the mainstream of proper tech or proper artistry but total persona on ice is I believe proper presentation and should count!!

Last edited:

ryanbfan

On the Ice
Ryan Bradley :cry: :disapp:

(this wouldn't be a "shoulda coulda woulda" thread without me trolling for Ryan Bradley)

ETA: In all seriousness, I think if he ditched Tom Z early on, worked on artistry, got his consistency together, he would've been a force to be reckoned with. Unfortunately that failed to happen.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Ryan Bradley :cry: :disapp:

(this wouldn't be a "shoulda coulda woulda" thread without me trolling for Ryan Bradley)

ETA: In all seriousness, I think if he ditched Tom Z early on, worked on artistry, got his consistency together, he would've been a force to be reckoned with. Unfortunately that failed to happen.

Didn't he also admit that he didn't have the motivation and drive until it was almost too late? ;)

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Tiffany Chin! She arguably should have won in 1984

Can we have links Bdan? You feel she should have won over Katarina Witt (the Gold?) based on? Anyone please critique her performance? There was Witt , A wonderful Rosalyn Sumners and I'd have to look up the bronze. Who rounded out that podium.

I have to agree with people who place Denise Biellman on the list. Since most of us so far have listed skaters since 1980 Olympics this is clearly a modern era list. I have seen video of lisa Marie Allen but know nothing of her competitive history.

I am having a hard time with the ladies who were great but did not have any Olympic medals. Since 1980, I think Biellman was a star, and Tonya and Bobek were great skaters and also, I am surprised I forgot on of my favorite US Champions, the very talented Jill Trenary. She was competing against Tonya, Kristi, Nancy. I thought Jill a beautiful ice princess and loved her style, though I do not remember her world medals record. Anyone? Another to research. I loved her.

Out of the ladies we listed, who deserves placement the most based on talent and record? Denise? Lisa Marie Allen? Tonya Harding? Nicole Bobek? Yuka Sato? I think I would go with two definite skaters, Yuka Sato and Denise Biellmann. I think of Lucindah Ruh as she was so extraordinary, but her inconsistent triples really held her back. Do her other superspecial attributes merit a spot? It is easy to overlook Tonya because of the cruelty of her actions, but she was a very good skater and niot just jumping. She had a great layback, good spirals, speed, flow. I think she had so much against her.

As Olympia said, Bobek, Harding and Bowman almost deserve their own list of all time talented skaters whose demons destroyed them. Yuka and Denise are definites ( I think on my list for ladies singles). It really is hard to choose even the ladies skaters since 1980! Help!

gmyers

Record Breaker
Ryan Bradley with like cliche artistry would not be Ryan Bradley! It's what I am saying about presentation that is a strong persona!

Dragonlady

Final Flight

It wasn't his artistry that held him back, it was his very, very weak basic skating. The guy slower than slow. His artistry was just fine. He was one of the most entertaining skaters out there. He could have been as successful as Brian Joubert if he skated with speed and power.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Can we have links Bdan? You feel she should have won over Katarina Witt (the Gold?) based on? Anyone please critique her performance? There was Witt , A wonderful Rosalyn Sumners and I'd have to look up the bronze. Who rounded out that podium.

Chin- http://youtu.be/rLAEGPYjEqM
Witt- http://youtu.be/_Gwmj1yP8OY
Sumners- http://youtu.be/kCuLJxK6HDM
Ivanova (Bronze)- http://youtu.be/dc6neZWi05w

I have to agree with people who place Denise Biellman on the list. Since most of us so far have listed skaters since 1980 Olympics this is clearly a modern era list. I have seen video of lisa Marie Allen but know nothing of her competitive history.

Constantly 2nd at US Nationals behind Fratiane. She (Allen) was considered a better free skater.

I am having a hard time with the ladies who were great but did not have any Olympic medals. Since 1980, I think Biellman was a star, and Tonya and Bobek were great skaters and also, I am surprised I forgot on of my favorite US Champions, the very talented Jill Trenary. She was competing against Tonya, Kristi, Nancy. I thought Jill a beautiful ice princess and loved her style, though I do not remember her world medals record. Anyone? Another to research. I loved her.

1990 World Champion

Out of the ladies we listed, who deserves placement the most based on talent and record? Denise? Lisa Marie Allen? Tonya Harding? Nicole Bobek? Yuka Sato? I think I would go with two definite skaters, Yuka Sato and Denise Biellmann. I think of Lucindah Ruh as she was so extraordinary, but her inconsistent triples really held her back. Do her other superspecial attributes merit a spot? It is easy to overlook Tonya because of the cruelty of her actions, but she was a very good skater and niot just jumping. She had a great layback, good spirals, speed, flow. I think she had so much against her.

As Olympia said, Bobek, Harding and Bowman almost deserve their own list of all time talented skaters whose demons destroyed them. Yuka and Denise are definites ( I think on my list for ladies singles). It really is hard to choose even the ladies skaters since 1980! Help!

I wouldn't consider Bobek destroyed by her demons. She has come back.

ryanbfan

On the Ice
Didn't he also admit that he didn't have the motivation and drive until it was almost too late? ;)

I'm actually not sure. I do remember his original Nationals comeback plan was basically to go out there and do everything that is illegal in competitive skating. I'm not sure if he actually admitted that in interviews, but my friend told me that.

Ryan Bradley with like cliche artistry would not be Ryan Bradley! It's what I am saying about presentation that is a strong persona!

Of course I did not mean to do away with the entertaining programs and what not. That was what made him, HIM :)

It wasn't his artistry that held him back, it was his very, very weak basic skating. The guy slower than slow. His artistry was just fine. He was one of the most entertaining skaters out there. He could have been as successful as Brian Joubert if he skated with speed and power.

I think some of his artistry could've used work, like when he did 'serious' programs (which were obviously a weak point for him).

anthologyz

Rinkside
tiffany was magical in '84. the complete package: just lit up the arena with joie de vivre, athleticism, and style to boot. it's too bad growth spurts and injuries really hampered her career thereafter, but i can definitely see how she was an influence for kristi yamaguchi who came on her heels.

and yes, lisa marie allen was stunning. her free skating expression made linda's look practically wooden in comparison. whenever i hear that crescendo in khachaturian's "adagio," i can see lisa's gorgeous ina bauer into a double axel. too bad she couldn't have snatched at least one national title out of linda's four.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Biggest wastes of talent who never won an Olympic medal: Harding, Bowman, Bobek all of whom had the talent to get them to the top EASILY if they had mapped out and STAYED the course they mapped instead of taking detours (coach hopping and not training full out in Harding's and Bobek's case, drugs and training issues in Bowman's case)

Skaters who COULD have won a medal but didn't due to a surprise skate of his/her life above them, getting surpassed, or just not "skating their skate" when it counted (retired only): Butyrskaya, Eldredge, Sato, Zayak, I/Z, B/K, Browning, D/S (BUL), Allen (US), Chinn (US)

Skaters who COULD have won a medal but decided to take the fame and run while they could: Bielman (World Champion and then left and she could have stayed until 84 and given Katerina a run for her money), Galindo

I agree with you on so many grounds. But weren't Harding, Bowman and Bobek all criminals - still such talent, such power, such charisma.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
My list would probably put far ahead of anyone = Kurt Browning - bad luck, pressure he was a marvel. I would add Eldredge though he never had the persona of Browning, Stoijko, Plushy, yagudin, Urmanov or Kulik. he was kind of like pablum but good pablum:)

I would add Bourne and Kraatz, Krylova and Oksianikov I believe were ruined by injuries, Annenko and Stratchensy ??? (butchered the name from RUS), Petrova and Tikinov, Shishkova and Naumov, Elts0va and ??? (really butchering team names now), Nicole Bobek, Jill Trenary, Karen Kadavy, Tiffany Chin, Josee Chouinard, yuka Sato, Maria Butyrskaya, Elena Sokolova, Olga markova, Denise Biellman, Patrick Chan (still hope) and Babilonia and Gardner.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
My list would probably put far ahead of anyone = Kurt Browning - bad luck, pressure he was a marvel. I would add Eldredge though he never had the persona of Browning, Stoijko, Plushy, yagudin, Urmanov or Kulik. he was kind of like pablum but good pablum:)

I would add Bourne and Kraatz, Krylova and Oksianikov I believe were ruined by injuries, Annenko and Stratchensy ??? (butchered the name from RUS), Petrova and Tikinov, Shishkova and Naumov, Elts0va and ??? (really butchering team names now), Nicole Bobek, Jill Trenary, Karen Kadavy, Tiffany Chin, Josee Chouinard, yuka Sato, Maria Butyrskaya, Elena Sokolova, Olga markova, Denise Biellman, Patrick Chan (still hope) and Babilonia and Gardner.

You mean Eltsova and Bushkov, and Krylova and Ovsiannikov did win an Olympic silver in 1998.