Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season

yude

Record Breaker
Congratulations for winning the silver medal, Yuzuru!! :clap::yay: I hope you will stay healthy and come back to Fukuoka for GPF!!

There is something wrong with my eyes, whatever he wears, I forget about the costume as long as he SKATES.
What an uber :laugh:

staska

Spectator
hello fellow Yuzuru fans!

well, i was a bit dissapointed about Yuzuru skating but probably it's a new Orser's strategy. last season Yuzuru and Javi were very good at the beginning but it's obvious they do not have much strength to be in good shape whole year. Denis Ten became a star of the season on WC and not before so maybe we should be patient. i completely understand Hanyu's feelings because when we are young we don't want to wait or to lose but it's better to be realistic (i hope and believe Brian is!)
Yuzuru was very good on EX though, very connected with music and charming as always. :)

lcd

Match Penalty
Yuzuru has tons of charisma. Clearly will inherit the mantle from Mao at some point and be able to anchor his own ice shows which should be able to sell out and tour

emdee

Final Flight
I also love Yuzuru ( after Patrick!!).
I was at the competition - the ladies behind me who were from New Brunswick asked whether the upper half was Juliet and lower half Romeo. It was very effiminate and unnecessarily so.

On another note he is so cute when he skates. At the mens Free pratice he missed a jump and just nodded so sweetly as if to tell us all ... yes he knew he missed it..

He really tried hard in his ex and put a lot of effort into it. He wants so much to give to the audience.

I think the nerves get to him. He is young and he will learn to develop a better nerve when skating.

What I did notice this time was after the Free skate he wasnt panting and gasping for air so his conditioning is getting better. This was really bad when I saw him at worlds.

Lunna

On the Ice
Firstly, I'd like to say that I don't care much about Yuzuru's costume as long as he skates at his best ))) I just don't like this year's and last year's FS costumes cuz he looks soooooo thin in them (it nearly breaks my heart), simple shirt and pants (like in SP) looks much better I think.

Becki

Medalist
Firstly, I'd like to say that I don't care much about Yuzuru's costume as long as he skates at his best ))) I just don't like this year's and last year's FS costumes cuz he looks soooooo thin in them (it nearly breaks my heart), simple shirt and pants (like in SP) looks much better I think.

Yeah it doesn't help that Yuzu is a very, very thin boy already. I think he's one of the thinnest if not thinnest men figure skaters around. Tight-fitting clothes just accentuates his slim and slight body. His SP one does look better :)

Apparently Yuzu decided the colour and some of the design aspects of his new costume! Johnny said in his NBC Skate Canada commentary that Yuzu really takes ownership of his music and costume choice. If Yuzu likes it, I am okay with it too :)

yude

Record Breaker
I also love Yuzuru ( after Patrick!!).
I was at the competition - the ladies behind me who were from New Brunswick asked whether the upper half was Juliet and lower half Romeo. It was very effiminate and unnecessarily so.

On another note he is so cute when he skates. At the mens Free pratice he missed a jump and just nodded so sweetly as if to tell us all ... yes he knew he missed it..

He really tried hard in his ex and put a lot of effort into it. He wants so much to give to the audience.

I think the nerves get to him. He is young and he will learn to develop a better nerve when skating.

What I did notice this time was after the Free skate he wasnt panting and gasping for air so his conditioning is getting better. This was really bad when I saw him at worlds.

Thank you very much for your report, emdee:)

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States

well, i was a bit dissapointed about Yuzuru skating but probably it's a new Orser's strategy. last season Yuzuru and Javi were very good at the beginning but it's obvious they do not have much strength to be in good shape whole year.

I doubt it is Orser's strategy to have Yuzu skate poorly early in the season. I'm sure he wants to do well in the GP series so he can make the final in Japan.

To me he just simply looked very nervous and "tight" as Brian said in the K&C after the SP. I think the expectations on him have increased and he is feeling the pressure. Hopefully he will let that go and skate from the heart and fight through like he has done in the past.

giulia95

Medalist
In the past Yuzu had a wonderful human and emotional connection with his former coach and received a lot of support from her. He is very strong, but used to receive a very strong support too.
I think K&C past and present scenes tell everything.

Paola D

Rinkside

well, i was a bit dissapointed about Yuzuru skating but probably it's a new Orser's strategy. last season Yuzuru and Javi were very good at the beginning but it's obvious they do not have much strength to be in good shape whole year. Denis Ten became a star of the season on WC and not before so maybe we should be patient. i completely understand Hanyu's feelings because when we are young we don't want to wait or to lose but it's better to be realistic (i hope and believe Brian is!)
Yuzuru was very good on EX though, very connected with music and charming as always. :)

Hello staska. Welcome to Yuzuru Hanyu thread. It's nice to have a fan from Russia here.:yay:

PrincessBeany

Rinkside
A couple months ago I remember watching a documentary online that chronicled Yuzu's move to Toronto. I can no longer find the video on youtube. Does anyone know where I might be able to find it again?

icekiwi

On the Ice
Hi dorispulaski, yes, there is still doubt whether Team NZ will compete again in the next America's Cup as it is a 'very' expensive sport. Or rather it is a 'billionaire's sport'. The NZ government did contribute to this last America's Cup Challenge. Nothing is finalised at all at this stage. Thank you for your interest in NZ. Hope you can visit one day.

icekiwi

On the Ice
Thank you msteach3.

I have been reluctant to make my opinion known until I have read a few more threads from fans of Yuzu concerning his costume. Another post here says the 'one piece' suit makes him look 'skinnier'. I agree. The SP outfit with shirt and pants, give him a younger and funkier look that suits his age. I also like his Gala outfit from last year when he skated to 'Hello I love you' by The Doors choreographed by Kurt Browning - leather studded gloves & belt, skinny jeans, white T-shirt underneath a shinny blazer - young, funky & exciting. So age appropriate for him. The one piece suit with 'chiffon & frills' tends to age him. Sigh........

gardenernaga

Rinkside
His FS costume looks like rose petals especially when jumping and spinning.

I think it just visualizes the lyryic of the refrain part of the original song 'What Is A Youth'.
"A rose will bloom. It then will fade. So does a youth. So does a fairest maid."

And in the original play by Shakespeare, Juliet assimilates Romeo to a rose.
"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. So Romeo would, were he not called Romeo."

BTW, I found an interesting picture.
http://imgsrc.baidu.com/forum/w=580.../eea078afa40f4bfbb0e0b378014f78f0f736180f.jpg

The bird symbolizes his family name Hanyu(羽生), which litterally means 'Have wings'.

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
Have there been any interviews with Yuzu after the competition? :confused: I haven't seen any in the English press. Are there any Japanese fans that can share what has been printed in Japanese media?

zydeco88

On the Ice
^ yude has summarized the content of a newspaper article on Yuzuru post-SC.

https://twitter.com/yuzuporuko/status/394943175208353792

This is a very good article of Brian Orser's interview in the Chunichi Newspaper today. Title is "Hanyu has talent and passion".

Orser said:

Yuzuru has improved his stamina and muscle strength and Orser thinks that is the biggest improvements since the last season.

In the last season, when Orser tried to teach Yuzuru something and ask him "Do you understand?", Yuzuru answered "Yes".
But it frequently turned out to be not true. So now Orser makes sure through other Japanese members of the club if Yuzuru really understands him.

Yuzuru definitely has natural talent and passion in skating and performing. He is the most all-round(whole packaged) skater among the students Orser ever had. However Yuzuru is still a gemstone of diamonds and needs refinement, it takes a long time. Orser hopes that Yuzuru himeself understands the importance of refinement eventhough they will see the improvemnts in each competition through this season.

Yuzuru has the ability to be on the podium and get gold medal in Sochi. The season is long. For example, SP at SC was mediocre but it was typical in the Olympic season. There were skaters in the past who had potential to win the Olympics, but peaked too early, including Orser himself.

Orser hopes Yuzuru to have the skates of his life in JN and the Olympics, not in TEB and GPF (although the good performances are desirable).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBaGgoD3z8c
@2:43, he says that after his performance ended, he went to watch Patrick's and was hit hard with the great difference between his and Patrick's skating. He was amazed and could only gaze at the whole thing in admiration. He would like to deliver that kind of performance and thus, do his very best to up his level. :)

IIRC, there was an Asahi online article published last year in which Yuzuru also talked about how he admires Patrick's skating skills and that in his first season in the senior circuit, at the 2010 Rostelecom Cup, he was so mesmerized as he watched Patrick gliding across the rink on his deep flowing edges during official practices that he simply forgot to do necessary pre-event warm-ups. In the end, he performed badly and finished 7th.

zydeco88

On the Ice
http://prw.kyodonews.jp/opn/release/201310295805/
Summary:
Yuzuru (and Daisuke) have been selected as Sochi Olympics ambassadors for P&G Japan. They are participating in the 'Proud Sponsor of Moms' campaign and a slew of promotional and advertising activities will be set in motion starting from December 2013, which include, among the others, the athletes' anecdotes (to be shared on P&G facebook page) and web short films centering around the campaign theme 'Bonds between a mother and a child' and 'Familial bonds'. Both athletes will express their gratitude towards their mothers and families who have been supporting them towards achieving their dreams.

http://www.darrensim.com/2013/10/29...s-unite-kick-sochi-2014-olympic-winter-games/
In Japan, P&G is set to launch the global “Proud Sponsor of Moms” campaign in support of the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games from December 2013. The campaign, which features top Japanese figure skaters Daisuke Takahashi and Yuzuru Hanyu as Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games ambassadors for P&G Japan, will both be playing a starring role in the company’s upcoming advertising and promotional activities.

Japan Olympic Bronze Medalist and figure skater Daisuke Takahashi said, “I use P&G products in my everyday life, so I was really happy to represent the brand in its Thank You Mom program. Just as I strive to do my best in skating, I also hope to be an inspiration for consumers to look to P&G products for their every day needs through this campaign.”

“It’s a great honor to be part of P&G’s Proud Sponsor of Moms especially since I’ve been using P&G products since I was small. It’s given an extra boost to my efforts looking ahead to the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games,” says world-class figure skater Yuzuru Hanyu.