Yuna Kim's short and long programs | Page 22 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim's short and long programs

Icey

Record Breaker
I'm not sure skating with fire to music written in memory of someone who has been dead only a few days is called for here or even appropriate. Grief slows down all the biological and mental processes of the griever. Some say she is disengaged: that is the status of most people in early grief, a state of shock and lack of engagement with the world. I doubt seriously that Yu na has done all this kind of analysis, and what is happening is others are projecting themselves onto her. As Freud allegedly said, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Very few, if any skater, is an actress who can really bring a fully nuanced performance to a program. I would be interested to know what kind of conversations she and David had about how the performance of this piece was to be approached. Considering my views on grief and its aftermath, she is doing an excellent job, whether that is her actual approach or not.

qwertyskates

Medalist
I'm not surprised at all that this isn't her best skate.She seems to be the type of skater who thrives under competitive pressure and there's not alot here. It will be different when she faces her next mountain, Sochi. It also doesn't hurt to be underestimated going into the Olympics and to have expectations tampered.IMO, this makes the competition more interesting.

As for the FS, I feel choreography is lacking, here's hoping Kim is holding back. I like Sotnikova's the best, a mature, complex and sophisticated program, which makes up for her lack of competitive experience against the two former Olympians.

Yuna's LP sings to her SP:

Isn't it rich?
Are we a pair?
Me here at last on the ground,
You in midair! ;)

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Love everything about Yuna's SP. The LP is okay but I assume it'll be better by Sochi. I also hate it when the flirty smile comes out of nowhere, but I've never liked her doing that in any of her programs anyways. Really hope she goes back to her old LP dress. It's awful how the new one is cut so low in the back that it goes beyond the waist of her tights. Such a poor design. Not sure how excited I should get about what Carolina has done to her Scherazade program but I love it. Don't know if it's still her LP or strictly an exhibition program now.

I see what you mean about her dress. You can see the top of her tights!! That is shocking that no one caught that, she is the top skater in the world! That is amateur, I hope it will be corrected by Sochi. I like the dress otherwise.

gourry

Final Flight
I see what you mean about her dress. You can see the top of her tights!! That is shocking that no one caught that, she is the top skater in the world! That is amateur, I hope it will be corrected by Sochi. I like the dress otherwise.

I usually never use this imoticon, but :rolleye:
For goodness sake, IT IS ILLUSION FABRIC!!! How could anybody think it is her tights?! That's just sick.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
OK, but why would the dressmaker want to create the illusion that her tights are showing?

That piece of illusion fabric is to hold the black opening more in place, never appeared like tights which women wear to me.
I believe this LP dress is also a work in progress...

gourry

Final Flight
OK, but why would the dressmaker want to create the illusion that her tights are showing?

lol

In a recent Yuna documentary, there was an interview with the dress designer, and she said Yuna lost a bit of weight compared to last season, so it affected the costume designing. So it is my guess that they wanted to make sure the dress fits well around waist despite the cut by using the illusion fabric. It actually matches her skin tone very well and doesn't really show other than in some pictures. Maybe they should have added beading or embroidery saying 'this is not tights' for some people.
If you try to remember, this is not her first costume with low cut back. Danse, and her first Adios dress also had similar cut, and she never showed any 'tights'. But it's maybe just Yuna's new high waist tights. :sarcasm:

In a recent Yuna documentary, there was an interview with the dress designer, and she said Yuna lost a bit of weight compared to last season…

A little bit off topic, but I thought so, too. It's hard to tell from You Tubes (aspect ratio and all that), but she looks very slender this year.

I think the TV camera did not do Yuna LP justice.
Fancam http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMpNg6mfZ9g

This is a fine vid. Not only is the camera work excellent, but, to me, the sound is better than on other versions that have been posted. It makes a big difference when you can hear each note of the music. :rock:

Last edited:

gourry

Final Flight
A little bit off topic, but I thought so, too. It's hard to tell from You Tubes (aspect ration and all that), but she looks very slender this year.

Yeah, Yuna said that now she doesn't need to control her diet as strictly as before. And she added she has less urge to eat than before as well.
Her guess was that her growth spurt was finally over. :)
I wonder how tall she is now.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
wanna add a few things about transitions.
I think the transitions in this LP is very difficult. as a few posts already made this point. I just wanna emphasize that, to make all those dance moves(transitions) timed exactly to the music (which is a very complicated piece) and mingle seamlessly with tech elements are extremely difficult. Not transition for transition's sake, Not transition for points.
About speed, speed skaters skate in circle is the fastest speed you can get, but this is figure skating. considering, change of directions, change of speed, change of tempo etc. also important aspects of skating skills... All things considered, Yuna is still the "fastest" lady skater.

Edit: especially, the nuance spread Yuna displayed while execute those transitions.

^ I agree about the transitions. Patrick Chan has happy feet, but there is more than one kind of transition in skating.

Here is how I judge transitions. My attention span is about two and a half minutes. I can sit through most short programs. I figure that any skater who can hold my attention for four minutes must be doing something special in between jumps. ;)

babyalligator

On the Ice
wanna add a few things about transitions.
I think the transitions in this LP is very difficult. as a few posts already made this point. I just wanna emphasize that, to make all those dance moves(transitions) timed exactly to the music (which is a very complicated piece) and mingle seamlessly with tech elements are extremely difficult. Not transition for transition's sake, Not transition for points.
About speed, speed skaters skate in circle is the fastest speed you can get, but this is figure skating. considering, change of directions, change of speed, change of tempo etc. also important aspects of skating skills... All things considered, Yuna is still the "fastest" lady skater.

Edit: especially, the nuance spread Yuna displayed while execute those transitions.

I also agree. I don't understand where the complaints about lack of transitions are coming from. I find this LP to be a wonderfully complex program in the same vein as her Gershwin, which had also initially been met with a lukewarm reaction. Do I think it has yet been skated to its full potential? No, I do not. But I do believe that Yuna is capable of bringing it fully to life.

I wish that she had not been injured and had been able to compete for the full season. Doing so would have allowed viewers to better understand and appreciate it.

Krislite

Medalist
A little bit off topic, but I thought so, too. It's hard to tell from You Tubes (aspect ratio and all that), but she looks very slender this year.

This is a fine vid. Not only is the camera work excellent, but, to me, the sound is better than on other versions that have been posted. It makes a big difference when you can hear each note of the music. :rock:

This one has the best sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HCocD1pKbc. You can distinguish the instruments and the notes more clearly.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Interpretation and Perfermance/Execution are fairly subjective so we might argue whether Yu-Na interprets the music well or not and if she projects the emotions well or not. As far as I'm concerned she lacks fire and doesn't give her all when compared with last season's Les Miserable program. However, the program is undeniably outright transitionless and the choreograpy is rather simple. Apart from the ina bauer preceding the axel combo, no jump has difficult entrance or exit whereas Gershwin program was filled with difficult transitions. I remember that the solo lutz and flip had difficult exits while the axel and the solo salchow had difficult entrances. Transitions are measurable and easily perceptible. Sadly, Adios Nonino has nothing but crossovers between the jumps. In my view this program is not worthy of the Olympic Gold Medal unless Yu-Na skates clean and the others err. Mao's program is a much better vehicle with more choreography going on and much more transitions.

Many agree but are afraid to say, as their opinions are seen as attacks, hatred toward Yuna and not their heartfelt analysis. But such love and loyalty toward the Korean superstar who sings, sells cars to beers and won a gold medal is sweet on the one hand, but then on the other... well.... superbly subjective. One can see whatever quality one wants...I truly have enjoyed her performances, however imperfect up til this year. I think her effort will be much greater than at Korean Nationals when she hits the big arena.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Yuna's LP sings to her SP:

Isn't it rich?
Are we a pair?
Me here at last on the ground,
You in midair! ;)

Or else it could also be Yuna was singing:
'Isn't it rich?
Isn't it queer?
Losing my timing this late,