Ashley Wagner making a statement against Russia's law | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner making a statement against Russia's law

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Obama did not show up at 2010 Vancouver Olympics either. That was a huge snub to his ally next door neighbor Canada.;)
Obama is too busy taking his 20th vacation to show up in Sochi. Even Bush showed up at the Olympics in China.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Obama is too busy taking his 20th vacation to show up in Sochi. Even Bush showed up at the Olympics in China.

Obama doesn't care Olympics that much.:p

Funny notes:

Note #1: For the 2008 Beijing Olympics, "More than 100 heads of state, heads of government and sovereigns attended the opening ceremony. The number of heads of state who attended the opening ceremony was by far the largest in Olympic history.":laugh:

Note #2: "The British Olympic Association (BOA) required that British participants signed an agreement before leaving for China, promising not to comment on any 'politically sensitive issues.' However, a BOA spokesman stated that the BOA's intention was not to censor athletes, but to reaffirm the IOC charter, which prohibits demonstration of political, religious or racial propaganda in any Olympic venues.":p

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Summer_Olympics_opening_ceremony

It would be stupid for IOC to act up regarding to the color, any color, of the fingernails or earrings. I don't think IOC would do so either.

NBC has been having peacock symbol ever since 1956 to represent richness in their color programming - a departure from black and white TV. The current NBC peacock logo was adopted in 1986. "The eleven feathers from its previous peacock logo was shortened to six to reference NBC's six divisions at that time: News, Sports, Entertainment, Stations, Network and Productions." Although it is close to the color of rainbow flag, NBC's logo has nothing to do with it.

You know that I don't agree with you on this issue, Blue, but I had to smile when you brought up the NBC peacock. Right you are! (And I didn't know before about the six feathers in the logo.)

RABID

Final Flight
Obama did not show up at 2010 Vancouver Olympics either. That was a huge snub to his ally next door neighbor Canada, especially when president Bush has gone to 2008 Beijing Olympics.;)

It almost goes without saying that America not only takes Canada for granted but CAN take Canada for granted. We may get annoyed that America often does that but that too is part of our identity and deep down inside we take pride in that; just don't tell anyone.;)

It almost goes without saying that America not only takes Canada for granted but CAN take Canada for granted. We may get annoyed that America often does that but that too is part of our identity and deep down inside we take pride in that; just don't tell anyone.;)

I hope you don't think that all Americans feel that way about Canada! Maybe it's because I read all the Anne of Green Gables books in my formative years (and again and again into adulthood; I love Montgomery), but I've always had very high regard for Canada. I have often rooted for their athletes in both the summer and winter Games. It goes without saying that I rooted for Kurt Browning over any other skater, American or non, in both Games. I have a bit more trouble supporting Virtue/Moir wholeheartedly because I love them but also love Davis/White.

And I'll always be grateful to Canada for Michael J. Fox, Stan Rogers, and Gordon Lightfoot. :)

By the way, I thought that the Vancouver opening ceremonies were the best I'd seen in years, maybe ever. They were simple but beautifully artistic and evocative of the country's history and geography, and I don't think I'll ever forget Thomas Saulgrain's flight above the prairies to the music of "Both Sides Now."

Icey

Record Breaker
Somewhat OT, but Hanyu's crossing himself gesture has nothing to do with Christianity, but a reminder to himself to maintain a strong axis. I've seen a couple of other skaters do it as well.

YU-na did it at her nationals.

gmyers

Record Breaker
IOC already said nobody is going to be persecuted for wearing rainbow pins.

Can you imagine if the IOC disqualified Wagner (or any other athlete) for rainbow earrings? It would be a suicide move for them. The outrage (in most developed countries anyway) would have been immense.

I would also like to point out that nobody ever got disqualified or even censured for wearing a crucifix. Yet Green Tregaro was ordered to wash off her rainbow nail polish at the World Athletic Championships. Double standards.

How does wearing a crucifix equal Wagner possibly campaigning against the laws of a country while at the Olympics. One is personal and the other is publicly policitcal. A cross is not politics.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
This means any athlete who is seen holding hands with a member of the same sex or wearing a rainbow pin at any point during the games in Sochi would not only face potential fines, jail time, and deportation under Russian law but also punishment from the International Olympic Committee.

http://www.advocate.com/politics/201...ussian-antigay

I don't think so. This is just a propaganda and misleading from LGBT sources. The Russian law is against something much deeper than that, such as what US media and schools have been doing.

RABID

Final Flight
I hope you don't think that all Americans feel that way about Canada! Maybe it's because I read all the Anne of Green Gables books in my formative years (and again and again into adulthood; I love Montgomery), but I've always had very high regard for Canada. I have often rooted for their athletes in both the summer and winter Games. It goes without saying that I rooted for Kurt Browning over any other skater, American or non, in both Games. I have a bit more trouble supporting Virtue/Moir wholeheartedly because I love them but also love Davis/White.

And I'll always be grateful to Canada for Michael J. Fox, Stan Rogers, and Gordon Lightfoot. :)

By the way, I thought that the Vancouver opening ceremonies were the best I'd seen in years, maybe ever. They were simple but beautifully artistic and evocative of the country's history and geography, and I don't think I'll ever forget Thomas Saulgrain's flight above the prairies to the music of "Both Sides Now."

Thank you for recognizing Stan Rogers. Many Canadians don't even know who he is. :) As for my prior statement, I think most people felt it was a North American event held in a Canadian city. Nothing to get worked up over.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
This means any athlete who is seen holding hands with a member of the same sex or wearing a rainbow pin at any point during the games in Sochi would not only face potential fines, jail time, and deportation under Russian law but also punishment from the International Olympic Committee.
http://www.advocate.com/politics/20...orbids-athletes-speak-against-russian-antigay

So, sky_fly20, if 2 gay men or women were caught holding hands in Sochi, does this meet your criteria for "politic propaganda"? Would you approve of them "facing potential fines, jail time, and deportation under Russian law? And also punishment from the International Olympic Committee if they happened to be athletes"?

Don't worry, I will abandon figure skating after the Olympics because it has become too gay for me.
Bluebonnet, how would you react? How high does this hand holding make your gaymeter rise?

I'm just curious.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

it's okay... anything north of their border the US ignores - including their 49th state... we're just a big block of ice to them...

though we make headlines for being warmer than most of the country when a polar vortex happens... because, you know, we're just a big block of ice and so it's big news when we are "warm" :sheesh:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Bluebonnet, how would you react? How high does this hand holding make your gaymeter rise?

I'm just curious.

To satisfy your curiosity, why should I care if they want to hold their hands?! By the way, why do you want to pick fight by copying part of my post from another thread from politics folder to here?:rolleye:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I would also like to point out that nobody ever got disqualified or even censured for wearing a crucifix. Yet Green Tregaro was ordered to wash off her rainbow nail polish at the World Athletic Championships. Double standards.

It´t no double standards, in my opinion. A crucifix is a religious ornament. And lots of skaters do a cross sign, that is of course acceptable as it´s a religious sign.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
it's okay... anything north of their border the US ignores - including their 49th state... we're just a big block of ice to them...

though we make headlines for being warmer than most of the country when a polar vortex happens... because, you know, we're just a big block of ice and so it's big news when we are "warm" :sheesh:

I took cruise trip to there and also visited Anchorage and Denali National Park this past summer. It was incredibly warm there. I can't believe that people could wear T-shirts and shorts at Denali in early June! So beautiful and memorable place! I'd love to visit Alaska again!

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
To satisfy your curiosity, why should I care if they want to hold their hands?! By the way, why do you want to pick fight by copying part of my post from another thread from politics folder to here?:rolleye:

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity.
I don't understand why quoting what you wrote equals picking a fight. Your words from the 'Brian Boitano came out' thread resonated in my mind ever since I read them, us living in the 21st century and all. And since you were being active in this thread as well with the same approach, I wanted to know if this also met your criteria of being "too gay".
I'm a curious person by nature. Just in case this might be of importance to you when judging my value as a conversation partner, I can tell you that I'm heterosexual. :party2: Like me more now?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I took cruise trip to there and also visited Anchorage and Denali National Park this past summer. It was incredibly warm there. I can't believe that people could wear T-shirts and shorts at Denali in early June! So beautiful and memorable place! I'd love to visit Alaska again!

Very nice! Did you by chance visit Seward?

Alaska had a massive heat wave while you were here... we were all whining it was way too hot. Tanks and Shorts as it was in the 80s in Kenai... that never happens (interior it happens, not on the Peninsula)... and Seward had very little rain which is weird as it's a rainforest (no joke)...

desertskates

Medalist
The more I hear from and about Ashley, the more I like her: her unequivocal support for LGBT rights is part of it, but also her ability to be honest about herself and respectful of others, and the fact that she's not afraid to show that she's competitive and assertive - something many women, even in sports, aren't comfortable doing. Much respect for her skating and her character :rock:

I hope she'll do a wonderful job at Nationals and in Sochi.

:clap::clap::clap:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
BB - next time you'll have to stay in Seward a day before heading north (or next time just do the Peninsula... my bet is you'd love both Seward and Homer!) I've only flown into Juneau before heading to Seattle. I've never visited the Panhandle (SouthEast Alaska). I want to, just never have the funds... and I'm not a fan of small planes. Someday...

And it's not too terribly OT, we have a large Russian community in Alaska... and Ashley learned to skate here.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Yup, Anchorage has a large military base, when her dad was stationed here her mom needed to find her something to do... :agree:

Whenever you plan you trip to the Peninsula let me know I can point you in the direction of some "out of the way" (aka non tourist trap) places that you will enjoy.