2014 Olympics Pairs Free Skate | Page 25 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Pairs Free Skate

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Their TES was probably about right, but their PCS was too high for that skate. Meanwhile the PCS of P&T was much too low. I would have had P&T at about 72-73 for PCS for their skate tonight (higher than S&K slightly despite that they had an amazing skate) and S&S down where P&T actually were or lower (66-68). For P&T to be several points behind S&S in PCS tonight was an epic joke, as most will continue to recognize, including the NBC and Eurosport commentators who have already derided S&S's beating P&T.

P&T being robbed in the Olympics is nothing new though. Happened in 2006 and 2010 as well. Atleast unlike others they know they fully earned every medal in their career, and persevered even mostly with the judges against them, as opposed to kissing their behind and bending over backwards to give them extra points and help for years such as Chan, S&S, S&Z, D&W, and others.

As I said a case could be made for lower PCS. But I don't think it would have made a difference in the result. Even a PCS equaling their TES (which would make it lower than P/T) would still have them winning over the bronze by a few points due to their SP lead.

P/T also made errors on SBS jumps, so it's not like they lost out on a medal despite clean performances.

emdee

Final Flight
This.

I mean, they could've given them winning scores without being all obnoxious about it. The blatant overscoring takes away from the victory, even when that victory is deserved.

I too feel that. I think they deserved the win without the propping up.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
As I said a case could be made for lower PCS. But I don't think it would have made a difference in the result. Even a PCS equaling their TES (which would make it lower than P/T) would still have them winning over the bronze by a few points due to their SP lead.

P/T also made errors on SBS jumps, so it's not like they lost out on a medal despite clean performances.

I agree. Although it's not new for ptf to look at a 6 point win and think the skater(s) he likes should get 3 points higher PCS and the skater he dislikes should get 3 points less PCS, just so that they can overcome a SP deficit and win.

Ven

Match Penalty
Reposting this to show why I don't think S/S were gifted in the least. But I'm sure people won't respond to logic at this point.

I don't think you can use PB as a benchmark. Only the skating on that day should be considered, so only the components and GOEs matter. As long as they are relatively well judged, nobody can complain. But if there are undeserved marks (both high and low) those are the things to look for.

If you just use PB as a default benchmark for scoring, hyperinflation of scores would set in pretty fast.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
ROTFL no that is you loser still whining about Chan losing the LP at the GPF (when he still would have clearly lost the event) months later like the pathetic no life creep you are.

all discussions about skaters and results aside, pangtongfan please do find a way of somehow letting me know when you finally got banned.

ElleK

Rinkside
Hi everyone!
Feel so bad for S/S. Aliona cried.
They are just astonishing artists. The program was gold but...
I think that almost 5 more for V/T (short program) was not fear and germans knew that they'd be drown anyway even if they'd be clean. + Nerves, pressure. So...
Obviously S/S didn't have any chances in Soshi from the beginning.

By the way V/T has awful program, S/K should win FS.
And I don't understand why PCS of V/T more than S/S and more than S/K.
It's just ridiculous have 77.83 PCS for that program.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I don't think you can use PB as a benchmark. Only the skating on that day should be considered, so only the components and GOEs matter. As long as they are relatively well judged, nobody can complain. But if there are undeserved marks (both high and low) those are the things to look for.

If you just use PB as a default benchmark for scoring, hyperinflation of scores would set in pretty fast.

I still don't think they were gifted though. There were two major errors -- the 3Ath + the 3T. They lost sufficient points due to those two errors. Again, a case could be made for lower components...but how much impact did those errors have on the overall program?

Ven

Match Penalty
Seriously, the more I think about it the more I hate the team event and all of the undeserving medal winners. Now there's too much medal inflation. It should be more prestigious to win an Olympic medal in figure skating, think of all the great skaters who never made the podium. But this year...

None of the Americas (at least this point in time) are Olympic medal caliber, maybe Gracie in 4 years but all of the others are not in the same class.

Katelyn Osmond, Moore-Towers/ Moscovitch, Duhamel/Radford, Kevin Reynolds, none of these skaters are Olympic medal caliber.

Even Julia was already guaranteed an Olympic medal before she had ever skated on olympic or world championship ice.

Kind of a joke if you ask me.

Ven

Match Penalty
I still don't think they were gifted though. There were two major errors -- the 3Ath + the 3T. They lost sufficient points due to those two errors. Again, a case could be made for lower components...but how much impact did those errors have on the overall program?

Oh, I wasn't debating whether they were gifted or not, Mrs. P. I'll stay out of it. I just think it's the wrong approach to use PB as a default benchmark. Otherwise scores would automatically keep going up and up like crazy all the time (or maybe they would be a ceiling, I dont know?). Just seems like a flawed approach to me.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Alot. Ending a program with a big fall ruins the effect of a whole performance, and their first fall took awhile to recover from and broke the flow, interpretation, performance, and choreography all.

Thanks for your opinion! :biggrin:

Oh, I wasn't debating whether they were gifted or not, Mrs. P. I'll stay out of it. I just think it's the wrong approach to use PB as a default benchmark. Otherwise scores would automatically keep going up and up like crazy all the time (or maybe they would be a ceiling, I dont know?). Just seems like a flawed approach to me.

IT was a good point, Ven. Just saying that even keeping that in mind, I don't think they were gifted.

Frenchie

Medalist
Sorry SS wasted their time coming back. I hope they are happy knowing that even if they skated clean in Sochi they never had a chance anyway even if clean.

I'm glad they stayed 4 more years as none of us would have gotten to see their Pina FS if they hadn't, which is still one of the all-time greats for me :)

jaylee

Medalist
S/K: Most entertaining FS of the night. Flawless and fun.
P/T: Most emotional performance of the night. So moving, so touching, so inspiring.
V/T: Most emotional post-performance reaction. Performance impressed me in that they held it together under all the pressure/expectations, but not for many reasons otherwise. Didn't seem as sharp as S/K nor as emotional as P/T, and it didn't compare to their previous performances of this program.
S/S: Sigh.

UnChosen

On the Ice
One thing I hope does not happen is for S/K's scores to carry forward by Olympics reputation. They're good, but not "two falls and still win against clean S/H, D/R, MT/M, etc." good.

I just don't see that much of an improvement to warrant an extra 11 points over their European scores.

Frenchie

Medalist
These Olympics are bringing out the worst in people, I've found, I think, in years. Applauding someone else's misfortunes that benefit "your" team/skater/favourite, useless name calling between PEOPLE on message boards... We're all human. We all love who we love and don't need to explain to anyone why we love them. They all tickle our heartstrings in some way because of what they do or have done. While one person might find their preference in skating is more relatable to P/T vs S/S or the "connection" we feel between D/W vs V/M... we're all different. They're all different. This a judged sport. Everyone has opinions. And regardless of how we feel and who should have placed where and when, unfortunately the only opinions and professional opinions at that, that mattered today, were the opinions of the judges, judging a judged sport.

To each's own.
You are kidding me.
We are all humans, so let's give +2 GOE on flawed elements. Let's give insane PCS on Russian skaters. Let's hold down other pairs. Just because it's a judged sport doesn't mean that you can give a few cross overs 9.75 for TR.

Flattfan, now you are kidding me, right?
You really didn't get that MsSweetie was saying that people on this board should be allowed to have their personal faves? That was completely unrelated to results or marks. I personally like Mojca Kopac a lot. Her best ranking was 13th at Euros. I never said that she should have medalled. That doesn't mean I'm not her fan.

mskater93

Record Breaker
None of the Americas (at least this point in time) are Olympic medal caliber, maybe Gracie in 4 years but all of the others are not in the same class.

Uh...Davis and White aren't Olympic medal caliber?! Really?! Now you've really gone too far