2014 Olympics Pairs Free Skate | Page 32 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Pairs Free Skate

fridakalo

Rinkside
Hello, Everybody! I love spotrs, I love Russian culture. I like russian artist and figure skaters.
but .......I'm so disappointed about the rude russian audience during pair competition in Sochi:scowl:
The Russian crowd cheers for S/S's fall...How so impolite to sportsmen ? Someone handed out Vuvuzelas at the door. It's gunna be LOUD in Ice-berg
How about your thought about russian crowd in Ice-berg?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Okay had a chance to finally sit down and watch the final four back -to-back.

V/T-- Well congrats to them. No it wasn't the best performance of the season, but it was definitely more than enough to win. 152+ is a bit high, but
S/K -- A well-deserved silver for this team. All their elements were clean and well-executed and I love the personality. It's refreshing to see a Russian team skate to something fun!
S/S -- Well I'm sad for them, obviously. I do think they won the bronze on the quality of elements they did do in the FS and the overall strength of the SP. I do think the PCS mark was high for the overall performance, but overall I still maintain that they were not gifted the bronze.
P/T -- Such a gorgeous and beautiful program. And I think it was a nice end to their 20-year-career. I think if they had skated a cleaner SP perhaps the placement would be more in debate for me.

And of course huge congrats to Team USA on solid placements. I'm hoping we'll be even better in the next quad.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Hello, Everybody! I love spotrs, I love Russian culture. I like russian artist and figure skaters.
but .......I'm so disappointed about the rude russian audience during pair competition in Sochi:scowl:
The Russian crowd cheers for S/S's fall...How so impolite to sportsmen ? Someone handed out Vuvuzelas at the door. It's gunna be LOUD in Ice-berg
How about your thought about russian crowd in Ice-berg?

I'll be honest, I didn't hear anything from the crowd other than a gasp, Is there like an official article about this ?
The crowd DOES look pretty terrifying though, I've heard friends who went to Worlds in Russia and said the crowd laughed at skaters who fell,
And i can't recall the last time i heard the name of a country being chanted so much without hearing names of skaters chanted at all,
Kinda makes me feel for the Russian skaters who are under immense pressure, Is there anybody writing here who's present at the event and can tell us ?

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Weakankles, if you have NBC sports network they show the whole event, but if you are in the US you either need a DVR, VCR or the flu because it's on from 9am-1pm CST in the US.

You have to have a cable subscription to access it online, which I don't, because I don't watch that much television. And unfortunately it is IMPOSSIBLE to get NBC where I live without an antenna on the roof of the building, which is not something my landlord is keen on doing. But hopefully someone else can use that information to their advantage! Thanks!

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
I always wonder how V/T can get so many 10.0 on CH and IN. How is that program even remotely close to an artistic masterpiece? :confused:

Meanwhile, P/T brilliantly choreographed and performed program can't even break 9.0 in CH and IN because a 1A somehow ruins the entire program. I wish judges would stop tying PCS to the tech scores...and get rid of the damn PCS corridor already (like how one judge gave Plushenko 4 for transitions).

I think every fan of figure skating should ask themselves that, Fans of V\T or not.

A program that has a spin end with 6 seconds of the pair just standing and staring at each other, Only to go into some choreography next, Should not garner 10.0's for ANY of the components,
And that's without approaching the visible mistakes on landings.

ivy

On the Ice
You have to have a cable subscription to access it online, which I don't, because I don't watch that much television. And unfortunately it is IMPOSSIBLE to get NBC where I live without an antenna on the roof of the building, which is not something my landlord is keen on doing. But hopefully someone else can use that information to their advantage! Thanks!

I'm in the exact same situation, so I signed up with a VPN service and now I can watch CBC or BBC or where ever. Basically it makes my computer appear to be in the country where the content I want is. Not really ideal but I can watch full event replays anytime I want or watch events live

mikiandorocks

Final Flight
I haven't had time to read the full thread but I will just leave some thoughts here:

-Heartbroken for Savchenko & Szolkowy. The fought hard and they have the attitude of champions. This is a pair that will always be remembered.
-Same goes with Pang & Tong. Classy pair. Always beautiful to watch.
-Volosozhar & Trankov did win fair and square. Surely wouldn't have scored them with 10.00 in performance/execution but that a was great FS. The amplitude of all of their elements is amazing.
-Stolbova & Klimov skated my fav FS of the evening. The Addams Family soundtrack is lovely and they performed to it and worked with the music building a character. I loved the fact that they attacked all the elements. Great vibe about their skating.
-Moore Towers & Moscovitch were amazing as well.
The right people were on the podium and overall it was a great competition.

emma

Record Breaker
Ziggys posts are the highlights of the forum. Truer words haven't been written. At least here. ;)

I've been trying to read through the whole thread, still a couple pages to go, but I have felt this numerous times and just want to shout out to post 533 in particular! But Dorispulaski has a great post around there too (like 536), and Mrs. P is just so fair and "useful", but which I mean how she is always giving us numbers (like trends this season in PCS) that are such useful points of comparison.

I have not watched much pairs at all this past two years - mainly because due to time - I had to sacrifice a discipline. but, this event motivated to watch way more pairs - heartbreak and retirements notwithstanding, as I said earlier, I found this to be a very emotional and even inspirational event.

ETA Mrs. P's post assessing her feelings of the event basically summarize my own. I would just add that I was so happy for the Canadians, and although D/R didn't do their vest, it was still a good Olympics for them. also, I just loved P/Z of China (and given their age differences, I didn't expect to - brought smile to my face to see Zhao, although he looks like a man who is not competing, you know, a little heftier). And the French team who tried the triple toe combo - they are great!

yqs100

On the Ice
have to say Russians are so greedy and rude

it doesnt cost them a cent if they cheer up more for other pairs, also they need to learn how to respect others, especially when S/S failed the first 3T,,the audience started cheering up,,,this is not a very good way to be a host for the olympics..

Please please please going forward,,big events dont go to russia anymore,,,,,

SimplyLex

On the Ice
That's why events held in countries where skating is not a big deal (or is not a deal at all) like the Europeans (Hungary, Croatia, UK, Finland, Estonia, Poland and so on) usually have audiences cheering pretty much the same for everyone.
Although I must say Japanese audiences are pretty awesome and skating is HUGE in Japan.

As for pairs, if S/S were Russian, they would've been given PCS of at least 75 and would've won silver. That's all I'm saying.

They will be missed. They made me discover pairs skating all over again. Best ice dancers in the pair competition.

yqs100

On the Ice
That's why events held in countries where skating is not a big deal (or is not a deal at all) like the Europeans (Hungary, Croatia, UK, Finland, Estonia, Poland and so on) usually have audiences cheering pretty much the same for everyone.
Although I must say Japanese audiences are pretty awesome and skating is HUGE in Japan.

As for pairs, if S/S were Russian, they would've been given PCS of at least 75 and would've won silver. That's all I'm saying.

They will be missed. They made me discover pairs skating all over again. Best ice dancers in the pair competition.

four years ago in Vancouver, it was great audience,,,always cheer for the programs touched them,,not cheer for nationality

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
NBC airing Marissa and Simon right now.

Unless they go back, I guess no Felicia and Nate. :(

emma

Record Breaker
I'm so impressed with M/S - I really hope they keep skating!!!!

ETA sorry, I mean Melissa and Simon or C/S

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
I'm so impressed with M/S - I really hope they keep skating!!!!

M/S...Marissa and Simon?

(Confusing b/c usual convention is last initials, not first so I was trying to think which pair had M/S last initials haha)

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Feature about V/T ending with questions on "Whether or not they're dating" oh NBC.

So excited to get to see this event at last. I'm sorry it doesn't look as if we'll get to see Zhang/Bartholomay, though. They're so refreshing. Maybe they slipped them in earlier, in between speed skaters? I dozed off a bit and missed about half an hour.