2014 Olympics Short Dance | Page 46 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Short Dance

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Only I/K ubers. An on V/M should easily be 5 points higher than an on I/K.

you make it sound like V/M are masters of technical difficulty :rofl:
get over it, V/M aren't some grandeurs some make them to be

D/W were and will always be ahead of V/M in everything
long the Olympics are over, D/W will be remembered as legends of ice dance and will set a trend next quad
fast, light skating will rule

Hurtado/Diaz's SD was delightful. Both of their programs this season are well choreographed and they have great performance skills. I am happy they managed to skate so well and got recognised by the judges and technical panels.

I am also very happy about O'Brien/Merriman qualifying to the FD. Technically, they have a limited skill set, but they did their 110% and gave a very good performance.

Those two were the most enjoyable to watch, IMO.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I feel that D/W have taken musical/choreographical risks and have a lovely sense of melody and timing. And, this is still ice dancing - you will have your couples that thrive on romantic chemistry, 'danciness', quirkiness, ect. D/W have fans all over the world - and this stems from the joeie de vivre and lightness they evoke. For me, Davis/White will not be equaled in terms of speed/technical difficulty for a long time. Virtue/Moir will have more copycats because that is what ice dance is still about - danciness. That's why I find D/W so raw and enchanting - they have a unique style that has nothing to do with the lovey-dovey, uber-dramatic, or overly 'artistic dancers that make up most of ice dancing. I have no need to insult you or anyone else for that matter. I am just so proud, happy and excited for Marlie. I appreciate their technical fluidity and their power, grace and speed. An OGM is deserved but not guaranteed. If the FD are skated incredibly well, in my opinion, D/W should win hands down by a total margin of about five points.

can you explain what you're assuming as 'taking musical/choreographical risks' please? Because in my point of view, as a choreographer and a dancer it means take a challenge for yourself, taking myself out of the safe box and pushing to the very futher limits of my borderlines - both physical and artistical.

And in case of Americans the only one program that I consider as kind of 'taking risk' was Tango FD - complitely not their business, I was very please at least by chosen theme for their FD that season...Since that I've never seen them challenging themselves in terms of music/choreography - they chose rather easy ways in that areas meanwhile mastering their technique. And I still have their words in mind that they've planned to skate to Scheherezade for about 5/6 years and planned their first lift in it for the same amount of time - for me it says all, they are more 'calculating' and then executing than dancing or projecting the moment.

Oh, and don't have any favourism on a 'couples that thrive on romantic chemistry, danciness, quirkiness etc.', definitely not...I always search a truth in dance - I know that sounds big and pathetic but it's simple for me as a choreographer who see his/her work in motion. If I feel that 'complexion x-factor' it just clicks somehow. But as many people, as many feeling/opinions

Meoima

Match Penalty
This is how I know I don't know anything about ice dancing. Because I think V/M deserve a better score. And I think D/W's perfomance kind of not exciting to watch.

dress

On the Ice

long the Olympics are over, D/W will be remembered as legends of ice dance and will set a trend next quad

By light, do you mean flavorless? ;)
I love both team, but I find that D/W lack interpretation skills. They do the same style of programs every year. They are strong technicaly, but their artistry is lacking.

I am expecting Heekin-Canedy/Dun to be done after Worlds, as long as there will be any decent partners available. They seemed to have been making decent enough progress last season but this season has been very disappointing for them and this is another performance (after Euros SD) where he completely choked. It was painful to watch.

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
Only I/K ubers. An on V/M should easily be 5 points higher than an on I/K.

I'm not a I/K uber but feel it was a lot closer.
I'm a P/B uber but even I don't have a problem with I/K being in third.
To the earlier comment, yes I too thought that Maia Shibutani's dress was stunning.
I only have two major problems with the SD tonight;
One; B/S were not 5th best.
Two; I feel that V/M & D/W are a lot closer in terms of the points they received.

dress

On the Ice
can you explain what you're assuming as 'taking musical/choreographical risks' please? Because in my point of view, as a choreographer and a dancer it means take a challenge for yourself, taking myself out of the safe box and pushing to the very futher limits of my borderlines - both physical and artistical.

And in case of Americans the only one program that I consider as kind of 'taking risk' was Tango FD - complitely not their business, I was very please at least by chosen theme for their FD that season...Since that I've never seen them challenging themselves in terms of music/choreography - they chose rather easy ways in that areas meanwhile mastering their technique. And I still have their words in mind that they've planned to skate to Scheherezade for about 5/6 years and planned their first lift in it for the same amount of time - for me it says all, they are more 'calculating' and then executing than dancing or projecting the moment.

Oh, and don't have any favourism on a 'couples that thrive on romantic chemistry, danciness, quirkiness etc.', definitely not...I always search a truth in dance - I know that sounds big and pathetic but it's simple for me as a choreographer who see his/her work in motion. If I feel that 'complexion x-factor' it just clicks somehow. But as many people, as many feeling/opinions

amen!!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... D/W have fans all over the world ...

Virtue/Moir also have fans all over the world -- including in the U.S. :)

Why must you always make such absurd exaggerations?

Virtue/Moir's programs have a high degree of technical difficulty.

Davis/White have not always been ahead of Virtue/Moir in everything. For example, please refer to: 2008 Worlds; 2009 Worlds; 2010 Olympics; 2010 Worlds; 2011 GPF Free Dance (per ISU's acknowledgment of what the correct score should have been); 2012 Four Continents; 2012 Worlds.
Virtue/Moir also are legends of ice dance.

rain

Record Breaker
I would have V/M in first with D/W second. I can see from the scores that D/W got all the levels but I can't understand how they can beat V/M on PCS. V/M have no hope for gold now, they skate the best they have all season, don't get a SB and are long way back. Disappointing.

V/M were perfection and should be in first, but as expected they're in second, no matter how amazingly they skated, and with a point differential that basically puts them out of contention for gold. I'm hugely disappointed, but not surprised. I would have at least liked them to pretend this was going to be a competition that hadn't been predetermined. At least if this is their final amateur competition they can go out with their heads held high knowing they put something really special out on the ice.

On another note, I think Tessa Virtue's dress is absolutely stunning and wish I could buy the non-ice-dance-costume version of it. Gorgeous.
I think Meryl Davis is a beautiful woman and her dress and hairstyle did absolutely nothing to show that off. Yikes. But I guess it is very ballroomy.

Kinga

Medalist
It's all about perception and opinion. In my opinion, Charlie is by far the more genuine performer, whereas Scott kind of over-exaggerates his facial expressions and I'm not buying it. In fact, I haven't bought it since their Mahler FD. The show makes it even more obvious that he doesn't feel anything at all when he's making those gimmicky faces.
I have the same feeling when I watch Scott. Although I really appreciate his dancing qualities.

One thing is sure - I will have very hard time falling asleep tonight when all this repetitive quickstep music is still playin in my head :eek:

sweetskates1

Medalist
It's funny that you should mention being a choreographer and a dancer - I am too. Of course, besides some x-college competitions and all of my family gatherings I really do not perform much. I am an American with Cuban/Brazilian/Puerto Rican/Dominican/Colombian blood ties/heritage. We dance all night all the time. And, it is so engrained in our culture. We have rhythm, 'salero', passion, azucar and everything else. It is innate. We take chances but some steps are just perennial - some lifts are just acclaimed. So when I dance rueda with my cousins with continue to reproduce some moves despite incorporating others. Davis and White have maintained some awesome lifts because they work, and not only that, they make them awesome because they execute them well. If you see similarities between the ambiance of the Die Fledermaus and the passion of the NDDP program, please point them out. Also, there is tremendous growth in all areas for Davis/White.

There is no problem in being calculating. This is a sport after all- technique and strategy must accompany raw talent and innate skills.

I look for art and beauty in figure skating and mostly in everything else. I love rueda and have a blast with batucadas but I give props to those that dance the crap out of Colombian salsa and I admire my friends for their beautifully executed quicksteps. Art is everywhere, movement and evolution of movement are particular to each individual artist. Where we differ, is this idea that Davis/White are calculating, inexpressive technicians. My grandparents were incredible tango and son dancers - their excellence and power to awe did not come from palpable romance (they were cold and austere because of their conservative ways0 - it came from the quickness of their feet and the precision of the movement of their limbs.

I apologize - it seemed to me that you did favor the more romantic ice dancers. I think that Davis/White are magnetic and joyous - there is nothing zombie-like for me.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think the scores of Virtue/Moir are a result of how very inconsistent they have been technically. They lost momentum due to all the mistakes they've made in the run up to this event. Davis/White have been spot on flawless for 2 entire seasons now and their impressive consistency is being rewarded. When 2 teams are so close, the judges are going to side with the most consistent skaters. As has been said too, it is very popular opinion that Davis/White by far have the best free dance this season, which is also swaying the judges in their favor. Tessa & Scott have the more intellectual and subtle, sensitive program, but it appears the judges prefer the excitement and passion of Meryl & Charlie.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
I liked both V/M and D/W's performances this time. they both delivered. Good jobs for the top 6 teams! all very deserving!

I liked the Italians better than the Russian team in 5th place. IMO they should be switched in placement. I/K did really well and they deserved the 3rd place.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I have the same feeling when I watch Scott. Although I really appreciate his dancing qualities.

One thing is sure - I will have very hard time falling asleep tonight when all this repetitive quickstep music is still playin in my head :eek:

Holy Jeebus but some coaches and choreographers should be FLAILED for the music choices. There was an absolute EXPLOSION of music in the 20s--for the first time, you could buy 78s of bands and singers--and there are TONS of great music pieces that are both period-specific and great performances. The worst offenders to me were Peggy and Nick--techo 20s was just one big UGH. The Liza Minnelli/Luciano Pavarotti NY NY may be a bigger one.

I would bet money that TPTB choice Finnstep to balance out what they feared would be uber!drama! programs for the FD. I don't think they anticipated that so many teams would stick to Kander & Ebb and Cole Porter. A real missed opportunity.