2014 Olympics Ladies Free Skate | Page 72 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Ladies Free Skate

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think the judges totally played a medal for Russia by placing Julia ahead of Mao. This means that if Adelina had bombed, Russia would have gotten at least Bronze. But since Adelina skated great, the judges went all the way.

The judges don't have that much ability to determine where skaters place. Julia had a 10 point advantage on Mao after the short program. Unless they were human computers and mind-readers, they wouldn't have known how the individual marks would add up for Julia versus Mao. Also, is anyone suggesting they all agreed in advance to bump up Adelina's (or Julia's) scores? Wouldn't they all, or at least most, have to do that, since some of the scores are thrown out, both randomly and by high/low? I do think Adelina's PCS was higher than she deserved, but she did sell her program well and that does have an effect. In some ways this is a lot like Tara Lipinski's win in 1998, when her presentation scores were the same as Michelle's. And also like 1998, Adelina had harder technical content than Yuna. It might not be the result I would have wanted, but it is not inexplicable.

figuristka

Medalist
Wow, what an amazing day!

I absolutely ADORED all of the three skaters.

I also would have given the gold to Adelina, with Yuna and Carolina very close second and third.

Here, in Canada the losers on CBC (Browning and that British woman) started to ***** about how Sotnikova is behind in her footsteps and artistry. Those are the same people that defend Chan and think he's a God.

Artistry my ***, she was the best!

Well perhaps they prefer quality. Chan has quality and so does Yuna and Carolina.

Darnella2005

Rinkside
A scandal. :laugh:

The day will be remembered as one of the worst judging scandals.

This is an understatement!!! Can a PROTEST be mounted? I had to record
the final two skaters because I didn't want to have a heart attack after
seeing the score they gave NOT earned to Adelina. Ashley was lovely and
I'm not a big fan of hers, but I thought ALL our ladies performed excellent.

I'm sorry but will always be very difficult to celebrate this Olympics especially
the Ladies Figure Skating most celebrated event because of the unfair
judging. I have been a fan a long, long time and this is very disturbing to me.
Adelina tech scores should have been higher but that's where it stops.
She just skated around the ring and IMHO, very boring to me. However,
I knew her scores would be gifted because as the old saying goes: Rewarded
while skating as a Russian and in Russia!! :mad::bang::mad::bang:
I'm especially proud of Asada , Yuna Kim and Carolina!!

WinterLily

Rinkside
Corruption in Russia is unbeatable.
Disgusting games.

OUTRAGEOUS. Disgusting, disgusting judging. The Italian commentators here were *VERY* upset and they clearly said the judges were dead wrong. Adelina was good, I usually like her, but GOLD?????? she was too overscored in the SP in the first place. I'm so shocked.
Yu Na is a treasure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gosh her program was a jewel of elegance, charm, control, strength, sensuality....superb, I cried like a baby with my family...^.^
And I'm SO happy for Carolina!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She's so classy and elegant, and today she was also very strong. LOVE her.
Again, I'm very impressed with Mao. I'm glad she can retire with this clean program, the perfect program she always wanted to perform:) well done!
Gracie is very strong, too! She wasn't as mechanical as at Nationals, I loved her program, beautiful skater and she looks mentally very strong:D
Ashley's expressions and movements are incredibly beautiful, her personality is wonderful, she moved me so much!
and many more.....
but Yu Na is definitely golden in my opinion

Big Deal

Final Flight
There is nothing more to say. I desperately hope that influential figure skating nations (probably without the Russian Federation) and well reputed figure skating experts unite and put pressure on the ISU which now is a total laughing stock. The whole sport is now a complete joke for me. I feel so sorry for the athletes who trained for years and were not accurately rewarded.

I never thought I would say this but I am loosing interest in this sport which I used to love so much.

PS: You should have seen Katharina Witt's outrage on German TV. I hope many others will speak up and forcing a change in the system. I think 2002 was nothing in comparison to today's and yesterday's 'competition'.

It is interesting to see how many fans of this sport has the very same opinion to be ready to leave this terrible sport. Even if we all grown up in different countries, different cultures etc.

The whole thing is just disgusting. I can NOT be a part of it even in its slightest way....

kokoomuslainen

Spectator
well done ISU, well done. hope this continues for russia for a very long time and russia will win many medals and there will be moar moaning about the injustice of it all :)

bsfan

On the Ice
Adelina having the highest TES is justified, I think. But the PCS?
So far, Adelina's personal FS best was from this year's european championships only a month ago...131.63 with PCS:

SS 8.64
TR 8.50
PE 8.75
CC 8.75
IN 8.75
= 69.60

The same program four weeks later gets:

SS 9.18
TR 8.96
PE 9.43
CC 9.50
IN 9.43
= 74.41

If she skated better this time, why she couldn't get better PCS? She was not the only one to get better PCS than PB. Should a skater pay her due before she can get good PCS?

She won on technical score. Did Mao, Kostnar, Kim do all different triples + 2 axel?

warlesha21

Spectator
I posted too quick and immediately added what I meant to put under it in the first place "but I love her"and I do

Oh I got the gist of what you were saying. I thought it was really funny how you put it actually. Polina should be interesting to watch. I know one thing for sure, we will be hearing about her "Russian mother" for the next cycle. It's what American announcers like to do.

Florian

On the Ice
Country
Germany
If they can't find judges who are able to do their job properly, especially regarding the PCS, this sport should stop. Sotnikova doesn't deserve anything over 8 in any PC. I have seen many scandalous judging decisions, but this time it had a totally new quality. Never before in Olympic history was a skater robbed like Kim Yu-na.

YunaBliss

On the Ice
Yuna was robbed plain and simple, starting with the SP, where she should have had at least 5 points advantage over Adelina.

Yuna gave EVERYTHING she had at these Olympics. 100%. Two perfect programs. Anywhere else in the world, she would have won gold.

I am happy that Yuna will be leaving with no regrets, but absolutely sickened by this blatant politicking.

kokoomuslainen

Spectator
to be completely fair (how it may even be possible, you ask me, 'ez' i answer) the standing shud be sotnikova, asada and the other american (not gracy gold). that's my humble opinion.

astronaut

Rinkside
I am, overall, very pleased. Would have like to have seen Kostner win and Gold win bronze, but it wasn't to be. Imo, Sotnikova won the gold fair and square. Overall, it was an excellent event. Gracie Gee did finish 4th and all 3 of the USFS Ladies finished in the top 10. Does anyone still believe that Polina Edmunds should have stayed home?

The Ladies blew the Men away.

Mike

millie

Medalist
Canada didn't win the gold in skating but won the GOLD in women's hockey. Yip hip horay.
Congratulations Katelyn on doing your best. Congratulations to the winners...the best won.

This feels even worse than Sarah Hughes flutzing, cheating and sloppily stumbling onto the gold in 2002... :slink:

If she skated better this time, why she couldn't get better PCS? She was not the only one to get better PCS than PB. Should a skater pay her due before she can get good PCS?

Because TES and PCS reward completely different things.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Well, at least the gold did not go to Julia.

Adelina: She has difficult content, her skating skills are good, she projects well, but her moves are so manly. She looks like a stylish boy.

Yuna has improved artistically. Too bad we cannot see her further development. Russian young skaters have pushed the sports' technical standards (jumps and spins) in recent years, so Yuna with her 6 triple layout is open to attack.

Gracie and Polina will be the standards of U.S. lady's skate for the years to come.