2014 Olympics Ladies Free Skate | Page 95 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Ladies Free Skate

Icey

Record Breaker
Surprised that Ashley plans on staying in another 4 years. I wonder how she will fund her skating. Gold seems the more attractive candidate for sponsors.
Is Adelina going to retire now? If she goes to worlds it will be interesting to see how she does there.

Ashley Wagner has a big mouth and craves attention. How far do she think she is going with this and where is she going with it? Her big mouth will get her in trouble and her chances of ever medaling again will be remote. She calls for changes....who in the hell do she think she is!!! The problem with her is that she figured that she was going to get the gold. This girl has a giant head and I don't know who she thinks she has power.

Oh, I don't think so, not at all. If you read the article, the two changes she suggests are (1) eliminate anonymous judging and (2) increase the penalty for falls so that clean programs are valued over flawed ones. (1) is in the works already and will probably be implemented next spring. (2) is a matter of on-going debate -- I think the majority of fans agree that there ought to be a way to reward clean programs better, but we can't agree on the details of how best to do it.

Ashley skated great in the LP. She could easily have got fifth. (I thought the same about Rachael Flatt in 2010.)

Her remarks about favoritism toward Russian skaters was pretty mild -- most posts on this board are far more direct.

zschultz1986

Final Flight
That was not my point. I was asking if all what you are saying is in fact true does it mean that by default she can not win already going into competition?

Not if everyone skated clean and it was judged fairly. However it wasn't judged fairly.

The GoE and PCS of Adelina were ridiculous, where is the GoE of both Caro and Yuna was underscored. the fact that Adelina got a majority of -1s for the combo she absolutely botched just shows what piss poor judging there was. The calling of URs and wrong edges was also dubious.

If Sotnikova had skated clean and other made mistakes, sure, she could have won.. However Caro and Yu-Na didn't put a foot wrong, Sotnikova DID, and yet Sotnikova won.

It's not Adelina's fault, but she did benefit from the major-league home cooking.

hurrah

Medalist
That was not my point. I was asking if all what you are saying is in fact true does it mean that by default she can not win already going into competition?

Well, she got high marks for components where she shouldn't have. No one is saying she shouldn't have gotten base mark for her jumps. It's the other stuff where she wasn't actually doing the stuff that she got credited with. As of now, no, in the real world, there was never a chance for her to win against Yuna, Carolina, Mao if they did their planned content, and in the main, they did.

whatif

Medalist
First bring your definition of light out performance, and analyze what merits, comparatively, do that "light out performance" has competitively? If you suggests skaters who didn't skate clean before skate the so called "light out perf" and that constitutes merits that put him or her in the lead of the lot, I suggests take time to watch how others skate and perform without the "lights out perf", then you will sometimes be surprise at the fact that your the "light-out" only be self-delusion and not even close to others' imperfect perf. Then you begin to realize there is level, degree, qualities, and comprehensive realm of figure skating. then you will know the "light-out" is like a 3 person boat which is not qualified to sail the ocean, even if good enough to travel your house pool.

Ok, poor choice of words. forget light out.
So you basically confirming that the presumed degree, quality, and "comprehensive realm" of skating of the top veteran ladies is prohibitive for anyone else to compete against them as it's just different universe. Well, why would they invite Adelinas to this "realm"?
What is the point?

jehan215

On the Ice
I bet all the Russians are beaming with excitement for their steal while the rest of the world is in rage about the controversy.

The general response from the Korean public seems to be "You just wait for 2018 Olympics - it's going to be payback time".

Karma is a b****, aye?

Macassar88

Medalist
I'll just say this

The fact that someone who skates so immaturely with little grace or passion as Sotnikova got OGM today is an insult to sport itself,
all the fine athletes who have competed in it, and for all other skaters who are currently training to become their best

Way to go Russia. You are a disgrace to the word Olympics
Yes - Adelina has no passion at all. She also doesn't wear gloves when she skates. :laugh:

Beure

Rinkside
I don't know what to say about anything that went on these last two days, it was craziness.

I just have one thought though: Julia skates very well, has never fallen to the ice in three years of international competition, skated medal-winning programs in the team event with enormous pressure. Then she has to skate first after the warm-up, (for the first time ever?) and has a fall in her short program, then she has to skate first after the warm-up in the long program and has another fall. Anyone else think this is more than a coincidence.

So now the nefarious underworld is plotting for Russians, but only certain Russians? Gotcha.

whatif

Medalist
Not if everyone skated clean and it was judged fairly. However it wasn't judged fairly.

The GoE and PCS of Adelina were ridiculous, where is the GoE of both Caro and Yuna was underscored. the fact that Adelina got a majority of -1s for the combo she absolutely botched just shows what piss poor judging there was. The calling of URs and wrong edges was also dubious.

If Sotnikova had skated clean and other made mistakes, sure, she could have won.. However Caro and Yu-Na didn't put a foot wrong, Sotnikova DID, and yet Sotnikova won.

It's not Adelina's fault, but she did benefit from the major-league home cooking.

So you are saying that Kim's and Carolina's TES should have been higher?

desertskates

Medalist
I know there are many who admire Ashley's candidness, however, I think there are times she just needs to take the high road and refrain from saying certain things.

Exactly. I'm a huge fan of her skating, her willingness to speak her mind, etc. But there is a time and a place. This is not it. Please, please, Ashley, at least sleep on it before you say these things.

Beure

Rinkside
I bet all the Russians are beaming with excitement for their steal while the rest of the world is in rage about the controversy.

The general response from the Korean public seems to be "You just wait for 2018 Olympics - it's going to be payback time".

Karma is a b****, aye?

Well I'm part of the rest of the world and I'm not enraged. More in bemusement at some of the outlandish reactions from people hell bent on finding controversy.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Surprised that Ashley plans on staying in another 4 years. I wonder how she will fund her skating. Gold seems the more attractive candidate for sponsors. ...

Wagner and Gold each have quite a number of sponsorships (with several of them in common).

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Perhaps they mean her VK account? (Similar to FB.)

Sorry if someone else already said the same thing. Will never catch up on today's posts ...

Ryan Bradley specifically said he read something on Adelina's wall. So it could be a Facebook account that is not accessible to the public.

whatif

Medalist
A combination of Yuna/Caro slightly higher, Sotnikova's mistakes judged with the same critical eye as all other skaters' mistakes, and Sotnikova's PCS lower

A combination? I thought Adelina got dinged for that mistake on the 3jump combo as much as it could. What would you give it?

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
Long time lurker, first time poster here.

I just wanted to share my thrill for one of the best skated ladies FS competition in olympic history. I am having hard time choosing the winner to be honest. My sentimental winner would be Carolina. But I have no problems with placements overall.
But I am also puzzled by some of the comments here. So the only reason Adelina should not have won is that she by definition could not have PCS at the same level as Kim, Carolina, or Mao. In fact she should be 6 points below?
Well then my next question is why do we need to have this competition if from the starting point she can skate lights out but still she, or anyone else not named Kim, Mao or Carolina, would never win against the three?
It does not make sense to me. Or can somebody explain to me what would one need to do to win against the triumvirate, hope for them to fall? wait for them to retire? Or maybe have segregate the contenders into categories from the start based on their PCS abilities?
I am just curious.

Very well said!!!:thumbsup:

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
So now the nefarious underworld is plotting for Russians, but only certain Russians? Gotcha.

What? I'm not saying anything like that. All I mean is that there's no reason for Julia to suddenly make mistakes like that especially since she's never made them before, not even in the team event when she was arguably under greater or equal pressure.

So could the fact that she had to skate first after the warm-up when she's never had to before have caused the fall? And then could skating first combined with the fall from the short have caused the fall and the step-out.

In case it's not clear, I'm mostly grasping at straws here because I don't understand what suddenly happened that caused these mistakes.

jehan215

On the Ice
So you're saying a programme with awkward upper body movement, no smooth fluidity from jump exits, and a step-out from a jump beats a clean programme? I'm not saying Yuna should've deserved a higher score. It's just the scores of the two Russians were TOO high compared to the other skaters.