The Judging Controversy Thread | Page 193 | Golden Skate

The Judging Controversy Thread

AliceInWonderland

On the Ice
Vladimir Putin is a thuggish dictator and has done many repellent things, but even I have a difficult time believing that he deliberately and directly manipulated the ladies figure skating results in Sochi.

Moreover, these conspiracy theories and low blows (seriously, like posters calling Adelina "Putin's favorite"? He probably didn't know Adelina existed until the night of the SP) are ludicrous and are distracting from the real, substantive scoring issues at hand, like judges giving out positive GOEs like candy, the inconsistent and unaccountable application of rules by the tech panel, the scoring corridor, and not making proper use of the separate PCS categories.

Amen

leafygreens

Final Flight
Unfortunately for you and me, Adelina is indeed Putin's long time favorite and she seems proud of it. (BTW, I love to use my opponents own words/pictures for counter-arguments. It's effective. ;) )

http://instagram.com/p/kzZC8TNVoR/

My oh my. Judges, federation presidents, country presidents... Adelina seems to be BFF's with all of them!

Look--here's a photo of Putin holding Meryl Davis' hand. That must have been the reason why Davis/White won the ice dance OGM over Virtue/Moir--Davis/White are clearly "Putin's favorites"!! And guess where Davis/White won their first world title--Moscow, RUSSIA! At a World Championships in which Putin stepped in at the last minute to host!!

Nonsense. He's greeting them AFTER they already skated. Pic of Adelina shows her hugging him when she was a youngster. He's clearly known about her for a long time. Enough to influence the skating federation's president who is married to one of Adelina's judges/BFF's.

AliceInWonderland

On the Ice
Posing for a photo with a politician =/= favorite, it means PHOTO OP. Many, many athletes do this. This is really common when it comes to sports, believe it or not. Anyway, if Adelina was Putin's favorite, then why didn't she get chosen for the team event? If Putin can get her an OGM, surely he can tell Piseev to put her on the Russian team.

Is Irina Slutskaya "Putin's favorite"? Then why doesn't she have an OGM? She has so many photos with him!

Was Michelle Kwan so successful because she was "George Bush's favorite"? Where is her OGM?

Patrick Chan, Virtue/Moir and Joannie Rochette must have been "Stephen Harper's favorites" too....

PS. Game of Thrones is a fictional series.

I think he/she is a troll.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am sure Putin did not interfere - his agenda is surely too busy for that and the matter is too small. Yes, he noted Yulia. But again she has become a national icon and has raised overall interest to FS in Russia dramatically irrespectively to Putin. I wish he had bribed hockey judges, though, who set the wrong course for our team with this notorious call at the high point of our match with USA.

And he attended many events - so with idea to bribe judges everywhere, I guess? :laugh:

^Putin should have bribed the coach to play Bobrovsky in that last game.

I can not believe someone is actually suggesting that the leader of Russia watched hockey and saw the Russians lose and rushed down to corrupt the figure skating results in favor of Russians. Yet in the same post also suggests it has been staged for months and we all knew it going in. So which is it? I see now why you need two accounts to post here at GS.

I will agree that Putin doesn't likely know how good Yuna is based soley on the fact the he doesn't care or watch figure skating. He was at the games as any president would be. I for one am proud Yulia made him smile and reduced this powerful man to some cheek pinching. Advantage Yulia!

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nonsense. He's greeting them AFTER they already skated. Pic of Adelina shows her hugging him when she was a youngster. He's clearly known about her for a long time. Enough to influence the skating federation's president who is married to one of Adelina's judges/BFF's.
I just read in the top secret back pages, security clearance required, section of the Wire that Putin had been flying planes over all ISU judges houses and spraying chem trails for months leading into the olympics that made them all fill up with irrational Russian nationalism. It's so obvious. I mean..it's in the Wire!!

Also if you read your post you say something completely irrational. You think Putin had to influence the Russian President of Skating Federation to support Adelina? That doesn't teally make sense if you think about it. I think a lot of prior posters would agree that Piseev and his wife were clearly on support of not only Adelina but probably all Russian skaters. Anything else seems quite silly.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
I am sure it was under Putin and Cinquanta's control. The media said Putin really put a lot of effort and cared especially for men's hockey and lady's figure skating. After loss over men's hockey, they really needed a gold and manipulated the result. It was kind of unspoken rule among the judges that yuna's clear performance is untouchable, but they broke this rule in this event. I don't think Putin knew how exceptional skater yuna is and what the consequences are going to be. (maybe he didn't give any **** because all he have to do is murder and give money to media). and It was planned like several years before the olympic. A lot of rumors went around before this olympic that something was going on the lady's figure skating (ukrainian short track coach had an interview about this). Kim said it wasn't an easy choice for her to join this sochi olympic and that her goal is not to get a gold medal, but to have a clean performances without any regret. (I am pretty sure she even knew before she came here) Figure skating is full of scandalous event and they finally blew most of figure skating fans after this sochi olympic.

Wow. You're making some very sweeping statements here. Sources, please? I'm no fan of Putin or Cinquanta, but without credible backup it's all just innuendo and rumor.

AliceInWonderland

On the Ice
and you're not?

What did I ever do that was trollish? I said that I had a hard time believing that Putin bribed the judges. I never said that the scoring was fair or that the IJS doesn't need to be altered. I think the judging system is the problem here and not Putin. Does that make me a troll?

AliceInWonderland

On the Ice
I just read in the top secret back pages, security clearance required, section of the Wire that Putin had been flying planes over all ISU judges houses and spraying chem trails for months leading into the olympics that made them all fill up with irrational Russian nationalism. It's so obvious. I mean..it's in the Wire!!

Sam is the best! :thumbsup:

cooper

Medalist
What did I ever do that was trollish? I said that I had a hard time believing that Putin bribed the judges. I never said that the scoring was fair or that the IJS doesn't need to be altered. I think the judging system is the problem here and not Putin. Does that make me a troll?

or maybe he/she was just trying to be sarcastic..

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Putin has nothing to do with anything that happened in Sochi other than funding the most expensive and arguably best games ever...arguably worst too. If he personally influenced the judges than prove it. Any unsubstantiated claims against him or anyone detracts from the whole point of this page. We need to fix the selection of judges and address the criteria for putting them in place. No one on this forum needs to worry about Putin in regards to figure skating.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
I think Putin has nothing to do with anything that happened in Sochi other than funding the most expensive and arguably best games ever...arguably worst too. If he personally influenced the judges than prove it. Any unsubstantiated claims against him or anyone detracts from the whole point of this page. We need to fix the selection of judges and address the criteria for putting them in place. No one on this forum needs to worry about Putin in regards to figure skating.

People would care less about Putin if certain people on this forum stopped idealizing dictators provocatively. Just saying.

AliceInWonderland

On the Ice
People would care less about Putin if certain people on this forum stopped idealizing dictators provocatively. Just saying.

I didn't see anyone idealizing him? Maybe I missed something... Personally, I think that most current world leaders are either puppets or snakes. That includes Obama, Harper (I'm Russian-Canadian), Putin, Merkel, etc.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I am sure it was under Putin and Cinquanta's control. The media said Putin really put a lot of effort and cared especially for men's hockey and lady's figure skating. After loss over men's hockey, they really needed a gold and manipulated the result. It was kind of unspoken rule among the judges that yuna's clear performance is untouchable, but they broke this rule in this event. I don't think Putin knew how exceptional skater yuna is and what the consequences are going to be. (maybe he didn't give any **** because all he have to do is murder and give money to media). and It was planned like several years before the olympic. A lot of rumors went around before this olympic that something was going on the lady's figure skating (ukrainian short track coach had an interview about this). Kim said it wasn't an easy choice for her to join this sochi olympic and that her goal is not to get a gold medal, but to have a clean performances without any regret. (I am pretty sure she even knew before she came here) Figure skating is full of scandalous event and they finally blew most of figure skating fans after this sochi olympic.

the definition of a desperate and pompous Yuna fan :rofl:
why are the bots still here ? Yuna has retired already :disapp:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker

This comment itself is poisonous because it implies that Putin is universally believed to be a dictator. A dictator usurps the power. I voted for Putin during elections freely same as millions of other Russians. Hence, for me he is a democratically elected president. And multiple unfounded accusations hurt my feelings not smaller than those of some minorities and races when they feel verbally abused. Well, in the western world it is much safer to abuse the Russians with their "dictator" than, say, gay people. It's all sick.

And one more thing. I'am not a brainwashed loyalist as I graduated from Stanford Unversity.

sk8in

Match Penalty
Pretty sure everyone knows about the fraud in Russia's elections. The fact that you "freely voted" for him does not impress anyone.

AliceInWonderland

On the Ice
This comment itself is poisonous because it implies that Putin is universally believed to be a dictator. A dictator usurps the power. I voted for Putin during elections freely same as millions of other Russians. Hence, for me he is a democratically elected president. And multiple unfounded accusations hurt my feelings not smaller than those of some minorities and races when they feel verbally abused. Well, in the western world it is much safer to abuse the Russians with their "dictator" than, say, gay people. It's all sick.

And one more thing. I'am not a brainwashed loyalist as I graduated from Stanford Unversity.

At least Putin has kept Russia from going the Yugoslavia way and has improved the economy. I don't like some of his policies and I don’t like that he's a homophobe, but he's not all bad.

Okay. I think this conversation is getting off topic now, back to FS. The IJS needs some serious revision.

Jump

Rinkside

It was the most expensive because probably 1/3 of the money was stolen or misused. Best games ever? Maybe to the Russians.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Pretty sure everyone knows about the fraud in Russia's elections. The fact that you "freely voted" for him does not impress anyone.

who cares ? and what does Putin have to do with skating anyways
the same I can say how unimpressive for someone to vote for Obama, lol