Jason Brown | Page 93 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thx, golden, for figuring out the Nebelhorn archives! I went looking for Brooklee Han's exhibition, and gave up, because the videos were not marked correctly; I did not know that they had done that with Jason's vid as well.

Interesting (and I believe there have been theads about this), how our personal taste in music can color our appreciation. What I am going to say is just my opinion, I don't mean to start disputes about taste in music! But I quite agree with you about "Irish" or "Celtic" music in general (and I say this as some of completely Celtic (Scottish/Irish/Cornish) descent); I would rather listen to a dentist's drill than this genre. Yet Jason and Riverdance: instant :love:

I also cannot abide most country or bluegrass (much of it is derived from Celtic music, after all.). That version of cotton-eyed Joe. Instant :scowl: Maybe someday Jason will sell it to me, but it is not instant love like Riverdance. And the audio from that Nebelhorn feed; is it just me, or is it tinny?

Finally, I was born and raised in Philadelphia in the 60s and 70s. (don't remember much of the 50s). As such, rhythm n blues, soul, blues: that's the music I feel and that touches my heart. It looks like I may be the only one here who just loves "Juke" on its own, but when Jason hits Chicago, with lots of other folks in their 50s who grew up with this music, I think (maybe just hoping) that they will go wild.

And God help me, I am beginning to like the suspenderography!:biggrin:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Thx, golden, for figuring out the Nebelhorn archives! I went looking for Brooklee Han's exhibition, and gave up, because the videos were not marked correctly; I did not know that they had done that with Jason's vid as well.

Interesting (and I believe there have been theads about this), how our personal taste in music can color our appreciation. What I am going to say is just my opinion, I don't mean to start disputes about taste in music! But I quite agree with you about "Irish" or "Celtic" music in general (and I say this as some of completely Celtic (Scottish/Irish/Cornish) descent); I would rather listen to a dentist's drill than this genre. Yet Jason and Riverdance: instant :love:

I also cannot abide most country or bluegrass (much of it is derived from Celtic music, after all.). That version of cotton-eyed Joe. Instant :scowl: Maybe someday Jason will sell it to me, but it is not instant love like Riverdance. And the audio from that Nebelhorn feed; is it just me, or is it tinny?

Finally, I was born and raised in Philadelphia in the 60s and 70s. (don't remember much of the 50s). As such, rhythm n blues, soul, blues: that's the music I feel and that touches my heart. It looks like I may be the only one here who just loves "Juke" on its own, but when Jason hits Chicago, with lots of other folks in their 50s who grew up with this music, I think (maybe just hoping) that they will go wild.

And God help me, I am beginning to like the suspenderography!:biggrin:

Suspenderography is a great word. Alas suspenderography has become SUCH A BORING CLICHE. :rolleye:

It is funny about music. I love Celtic music (well, REAL Celtic music, not this New Age-y drivel. Real Celtic Music does not have synthesizers), but blues are definitely nails on a chalkboard to me. De gustibus non est dispantandum.

balletanddancefan

On the Ice
Suspenderography is a great word. Alas suspenderography has become SUCH A BORING CLICHE. :rolleye:

It is funny about music. I love Celtic music (well, REAL Celtic music, not this New Age-y drivel. Real Celtic Music does not have synthesizers), but blues are definitely nails on a chalkboard to me. De gustibus non est dispantandum.

"De gustibus non est dispantandum." In latin! Nice language! Abouth Albion-music: my favorite is Scotland and the scottish ballads and higland dances! AH!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... It is funny about music. I love Celtic music (well, REAL Celtic music, not this New Age-y drivel. Real Celtic Music does not have synthesizers), but blues are definitely nails on a chalkboard to me. De gustibus non est dispantandum.

"De gustibus non est dispantandum." In latin! Nice language! Abouth Albion-music: my favorite is Scotland and the scottish ballads and higland dances! AH!

What WA meant to say:
"De gustibus non est disputandum" .... for anyone who might want to echo these words in a future situation. :)

Although the typo of dis-pant-andum is pretty funny :laugh: in light of the tandem discussions of Jason's pants and costume along with his music.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
What WA meant to say:
"De gustibus non est disputandum" .... for anyone who might want to echo these words in a future situation. :)

Although the typo of dis-pant-andum is pretty funny :laugh: in light of the tandem discussions of Jason's pants and costume along with his music.

LOL! I really shouldn't type and talk on the phone at the same time. Thanks for correcting the mistake!

balletanddancefan

On the Ice
What WA meant to say:

OMG golden411! Off corse, DISPUTANDUM in latin! I studied latin for 2 years (and I am half Italian) but I didn't see the grammatical error :) DISPANTANDUM :))) Hihi. Sigmund Freud waked up!

balletanddancefan

On the Ice
What WA meant to say:

I think these two words "Suspenderography" and "dispantadum" (the last is in latin errata) made theire place in this topic :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Two of his best attributes--his posture and his line--are being destroyed by the clunkiness of that costume. I'm all for simplicity in skating costumes, but I'd totally rethink it. The hair, though, really works. ...

I would argue that Jason's costume enhances this striking position from his FS at Nebelhorn.
Maybe this one too.

Love the hair, and I'm fine with the boots and the color of the pants.
For me, the two-toned top (or vest thingy or whatever it is) is gilding the lily. I don't understand the references in the thread to his costume's simplicity. I find the upper half rather elaborate (almost too elaborate). An absence of sparkles (an absence that I like) does not automatically equal simplicity.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
RE the costume.

It looks very different in crappy resolution, and better resolution. For instance when I first saw it I thought the green part was completely flat and uniform dark green fabric, it actually has i guess you could say variable opacity as well as a lot of sparkle. In better shots, you can see that the shirt is also a very thin fabric, giving it more of a poor knight look than just a bleach white t-shirt cut differently. In better resolution you can see the movement to it better.

I suspect it looks rather different in person, and I suspect they will look at how it looked to viewers and make adjustments. I am guessing the green sash will get a edge of some sort, the boots will become even. Would not be surprised if there are some subtle adjustments to fit as well. . I do hope the belt gets a bit narrower. Its too one denominational as is, maybe more of a woven leather look if they want it that wide. Heck the belt from Riverdance could almost work as an improvement.

Might be worth checking the archive again. . . it looks pretty good today for me, better than some of the youtube ones at this point.

deetrakt

Rinkside
I'm not sure if this is the perfect place for this, but I did some research on Maxime Rodriguez, the composer of Jason's LP, when it was announced earlier this summer what Jason's programs would be.

He's a young (under 40) French composer, many of whose works have been commissioned for use in figure skating--both competitive and exhibition programs. (I believe I remember that they've also been used for rhythmic gymnastics.) I'm not sure, but the sound effects some object to may well be part of the original music, to assist in telling the story. He's pretty widely covered online, both his bio and his works. I'm guessing that Rohene may have encountered his work in his widespread touring in Europe, where Rodriguez is well-known.

A side note--the recording of Juke I found earlier this summer on YouTube is exactly the right length for a short program. I haven't compared, but it may be that no cutting was required!

TMC

Record Breaker
Thank you for the info deetrakt! I also looked Rodriguez up in the summer and was really surprised at how (relatively) young he is! I mean he's supposed to be 37/38, which means that at 22/23 he'd already composed both Philippe Candeloro's Olympic programs (1998)!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm not sure, but the sound effects some object to may well be part of the original music, to assist in telling the story.

When I Youtubed the music after Jason announced it, the sound effects were in it.

The only changes I would make to the costume would be to make the pants darker and the boots shorter. I actually like the green/white top, I think it works, and I don't mind the belt so much, either.

TMC

Record Breaker
When I Youtubed the music after Jason announced it, the sound effects were in it.

The only changes I would make to the costume would be to make the pants darker and the boots shorter. I actually like the green/white top, I think it works, and I don't mind the belt so much, either.

I feel the same way. The boots & trousers should be the same colour - perhaps the dark brown of the boots? That way the leg line would appear longer and the boots less clunky.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
The boots were my only problem with the costume and I have to say I might have to reconsider because they do look good in the photo golden411 posted.

I will have to say that based on this discussion and the one on the Nebelhorn thread, I think it's a relief that he had such a solid start that we're nitpicking about sprinklers and boots at this point in time. (As opposed to the amount of consternation people are giving to Gracie's FS and her performance....man I feel sorry for her fans..)

Well there's that whole quad thing...but...you know...that will always be the case, LOL. :slink:

Last edited:

alabhaois

On the Ice
I don't understand the references in the thread to his costume's simplicity. I find the upper half rather elaborate (almost too elaborate). An absence of sparkles (an absence that I like) does not automatically equal simplicity.

I am one who said I thought the costume was simple-- by that I meant, yes, that it wasn't glitzy like so many
skating costumes are. Looking at his outfit as a whole, I have to say I like it very much. The light pants are a
welcome change from the black, the top part looks dramatic and rather dashing, and the boots complete the
"Renaissance look."

I guess I was comparing this costume to Riverdance and Question, both of which were, overall, more elaborate.
This is all IMO, of course.

:)

TMC

Record Breaker
The boots were my only problem with the costume and I have to say I might have to reconsider because they do look good in the photo golden411 posted.

I will have to say that based on this discussion and the one on the Nebelhorn thread, I think it's a relief that he had such a solid start that we're nitpicking about sprinklers and boots at this point in time. (As opposed to the amount of consternation people are giving to Gracie's FS and her performance....man I feel sorry for her fans..)

Well there's that whole quad thing...but...you know...that will always be the case, LOL. :slink:

Very good points, as usual :yes:

My absolute favourite in T&I is this Ina Bauer shooting an arrow move :love:

ETA: THe costume is growing on me. When I first saw it I think I screamed something along the lines of "Nooooo wth is that?" at my tv, but now that I've seen it in action half a hundred times, it looks pretty cool. Still think the pants and boots should be the same colour; Jason has pretty large feet ( and hands) proportionately, and this arrangement just makes them look even more ginormous.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

BUT SHE'S NOT SKATING WELL IN SEPTEMBER! THE WORLD IS DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

Yes! I love this moment too. So very detail-oriented.

I wouldn't mind a knight like Jason riding to my rescue. I'm sure he'd be a very good knight. (Oh no, don't encourage these thoughts while I'm on cold meds or my dreams tonight will be really weird).

Jason has pretty large feet ( and hands) proportionately, and this arrangement just makes them look even more ginormous.

Yes! thanks for nailing exactly what was bugging me about the boots. It looks kind of clunky, and makes him look even more like a puppy who never grew into his paws.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Yes! thanks for nailing exactly what was bugging me about the boots. It looks kind of clunky, and makes him look even more like a puppy who never grew into his paws.

I thought we decided he was a kitty not a puppy. . . . ya know kitties can have over sized paws too. . . look at a baby tiger sometime.

I'm trying to picture it with the boots the same color. . . getting a mental error. . . can't see it. . .

balletanddancefan

On the Ice

ETA: THe costume is growing on me. When I first saw it I think I screamed something along the lines of "Nooooo wth is that?" at my tv, but now that I've seen it in action half a hundred times, it looks pretty cool. Still think the pants and boots should be the same colour; Jason has pretty large feet ( and hands) proportionately, and this arrangement just makes them look even more ginormous.

Yes, Jason has great hands but beautiful hands with long fingers like a pianist. Maybe he also has big feet but I have not observed it. I think it does not matter the size of his feet in the skatershoes :)

TMC

Record Breaker
Yes, Jason has great hands but beautiful hands with long fingers like a pianist. Maybe he also has big feet but I have not observed it. I think it does not matter the size of his feet in the skatershoes :)

Oh yes his hands may be large but they are beautiful and the way he moves them is so lyrical, just like a ballet dancer. Miles different & better from any other current male skater (and female)