New Johnny Weir Interview | Golden Skate

New Johnny Weir Interview

The whole Kataniye server seems to be down. It should be back in business later.

MM

Lucy25

Final Flight
Could you tell us what it said about the music? I know he dumped his new LP, but does it say what he is now skating to?

gracefulswan

On the Ice
johnny has a son? whoa, guess that's news to me. wonder why i ddin't know of it beforehand? who's the lucky mom?

and "the swan?" is that an often used piece? related to 'swan lake'? doesn't sound too appealing...but for johnny, perhaps it's befitting that he skate to this type of music.

skatingfan5

On the Ice
gracefulswan said:
"the swan?" is that an often used piece? related to 'swan lake'? doesn't sound too appealing...but for johnny, perhaps it's befitting that he skate to this type of music.
"The Swan" by Saint-Saens (from his "Carnival of the Animals") was Oksana Baiul's exhibition program in 1994. I'm not sure how many other current skaters have used it, but it was/is a ballet classic performed by Pavlova and interpreted on the ice by the likes of Sonja Henie and Charlotte Oelschlager. If you are not familiar with the music, it is similar in mood to the other piece that Johnny mentions considering for his SP: Massenet's "Meditation from Thais".

johnny has a son? whoa, guess that's news to me. wonder why i ddin't know of it beforehand? who's the lucky mom?
I understand that the mother is a real b!tch. ;) Seriously, Johnny's "son" is not a human but a dog.

Last edited:

BittyBug

On the Ice
Lucy25 said:
Could you tell us what it said about the music? I know he dumped his new LP, but does it say what he is now skating to?
He hasn't revealed his new music yet, but did say the following:

I won't say yet what the new music is, but it is different for me, and a bit edgier. It shows a lot of strength and growth for me. Usually I am very serious and straight laced, and the new free program is a bit more modern and a lot more powerful.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
BittyBug said:
He hasn't revealed his new music yet, but did say the following:

Didn't quote the quote, but I'm very exciting that he says it's something different and challenging for him. That's what I think many of us were hoping for more of prior to his initial music announcement.

I LOVE reading Johnny's interviews. Always more interesting than the more typical "PR / PC" responses we are used to!

DG

Donna

Spectator
In the Blades on Ice update there's an article about the Liberty Open. Scroll down.

http://www.bladesonice.com/mag/blaweb1.htm

Johnnny talked about his programs:

"Among the top skaters in the audience was the very fit looking US champion Johnny Weir, who said he had recovered from the foot problem which troubled him at worlds. He confirmed he was using Saint-Saens’ The Swan for the short and a “modern” version of Franz Lizst’s Lieberstraum."

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Donna said:
Johnnny talked about his programs:

"Among the top skaters in the audience was the very fit looking US champion Johnny Weir, who said he had recovered from the foot problem which troubled him at worlds. He confirmed he was using Saint-Saens’ The Swan for the short and a “modern” version of Franz Lizst’s Lieberstraum."
Liberty took place last month (July 13-16), so the Q&A is the more up-to-date info.

Donna

Spectator
So he was probably just talking about the programs he used there then... OK, so we still don't know what his new programs will be! :frown2:

BittyBug

On the Ice
Donna said:
So he was probably just talking about the programs he used there then... OK, so we still don't know what his new programs will be! :frown2:
Donna - Johnny didn't skate at Liberty - he was there as a coach - so I think the author was just generally mentioning what his programs were planned to be. He is definitely using The Swan for his short program - it's his free skate music that is a mystery at the moment.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm glad he's ditching "Liebestraum" for something edgier. He's used dreamy, romantic music for his last two FSs and a change is definitely a good thing. He needs to make a STRONG impression if he's going to medal at Torino.

Donna

Spectator
chuckm said:
He needs to make a STRONG impression if he's going to medal at Torino.

Yes, and no matter how scary he thinks it is, he'll need a quad too! I hope he can land one in competition soon.