Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Interesting article about Tim Wood

It was quite amusing to hear Dick Button in that clip already exhorting skaters to "hold spins longer and point their toes." I could have closed my eyes and thought I was hearing current commentary from him!

Also, I think Tim (and the others skating at the 1968 Worlds) get props for skating around those obstacles at the periphery of the rink. As someone who hasn't seen many competitions from the 1960s, were those serving as the boards? It looked like an obstacle course to me!

SkateFan4Life
    Thanks for the article. The article must be several years old (perfectly OK, of course), because Tim Wood isn't 49 any longer. He was 20 when he won his silver medal at the 1968 Winter Olympics, so he's around 57 now.

What a shame that a mathematical error cost him the gold medal. I remember the men's competition as a huge disappointment for Emmerich Danzer of Austria, who came into the Games as the two-time World champion and heavy favorite. Danzer blew his compulsory school figures and finished fourth. He came back and won his third World title a few weeks later.

The surprise gold medal winner, Wolfgang Schwarz of Austria, turned pro right after the Games.

I saw Tim Wood in Ice Capades shortly after he turned professional. He had great technical and artistic ability and was a very good show skater, IMHO.
    He was viewed by many as "a skater's skater".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2