Order of Canada and MBE | Golden Skate

Order of Canada and MBE

S

SkateFan4Life

I have a number of figure skating books and have enjoyed viewing the pictures of these wonderful skaters receiving awards from their respective governments.

"Orser, A Skater's Life" has a full-page color photograph of Canadian Brian Orser, then the Canadian champion, World and Olympic silver medalist, receiving the prestigious Order of Canada from Governor-General Jeanne Sauve in 1986.

"Thumbs Up! The Elizabeth Manley Story" has a photograph of Canadian Elizabeth Manley, then the Canadian champion and World and Olympic silver medalist, receiving the Order of Canada from Governor-General Jeanne Sauve in 1988.

"Torvill and Dean" has a photograph of a nattily-attired Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean emerging from Buckingham Palace after they received the MBE from Queen Elizabeth in October 1981. They were the British and World ice dance champions at that moment, and would go on to win three more World titles and the 1984 Olympic title.

I'm sure that many other Canadian and British figure skaters have received these two awards. My guess is that Karen Magnussen, Kurt Browning, and Elvis Stokjo, and others, received the Order of Canada, and that Robin Cousins and John Curry received the MBE from the Queen.

So -- what does the USA do for its champion figure skaters? I mean, what does the United States Government do? Is there some type of "American award" that is bestowed on these great athletes? OK, they can be indicted in the US and World Figure Skating Hall of Fame, but that's not the same thing.

I would love to see my government award some type of achievement award for these athletes. What do you think?

There will always be questions about Orser's silvers and not golds as well as Torvahl and Dean's next Oly try where they were beaten by a pseudo Black American folk dance (jitterbug). But hey, that's the way it is in Skateland.

I think the Americans get a lunch with current President of the time if they medal in the Olys.

Joe

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
OK, I know I shouldn't say this but the government just can't think of much besides war and letting all the criminals have lots of bad guns. :scowl:
:sheesh:

S

SkateFan4Life

Joesitz said:
I think the Americans get a lunch with current President of the time if they medal in the Olys.

Joe

Big deal!! :rofl:

Maybe at least they could be invited to a State Dinner and acknowledged by the President during the meal.

I've received all sorts of certificates, diplomas, and awards for things I've achieved during my school years and work life - as I'm sure all of us have done.
However, winning an Olympic medal is such a special achievement - and it brings honor to the USA as well - that, IMHO, our government should bestow some type of official honor on our medal-winning athletes.

heyang

Record Breaker
For some reason, I think the US President invites all of the Olympic medalists to the White House. For some reason, I recall both Nancy K and Oksana B being at the White House.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
SkateFan4Life said:
I have a number of figure skating books and have enjoyed viewing the pictures of these wonderful skaters receiving awards from their respective governments.

"Orser, A Skater's Life" has a full-page color photograph of Canadian Brian Orser, then the Canadian champion, World and Olympic silver medalist, receiving the prestigious Order of Canada from Governor-General Jeanne Sauve in 1986.

"Thumbs Up! The Elizabeth Manley Story" has a photograph of Canadian Elizabeth Manley, then the Canadian champion and World and Olympic silver medalist, receiving the Order of Canada from Governor-General Jeanne Sauve in 1988.

"Torvill and Dean" has a photograph of a nattily-attired Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean emerging from Buckingham Palace after they received the MBE from Queen Elizabeth in October 1981. They were the British and World ice dance champions at that moment, and would go on to win three more World titles and the 1984 Olympic title.

I'm sure that many other Canadian and British figure skaters have received these two awards. My guess is that Karen Magnussen, Kurt Browning, and Elvis Stokjo, and others, received the Order of Canada, and that Robin Cousins and John Curry received the MBE from the Queen.

So -- what does the USA do for its champion figure skaters? I mean, what does the United States Government do? Is there some type of "American award" that is bestowed on these great athletes? OK, they can be indicted in the US and World Figure Skating Hall of Fame, but that's not the same thing.

I would love to see my government award some type of achievement award for these athletes. What do you think?

Well it's great that our Governor-General then acknowledged skaters like Brian Orser and Liz Manley, but I don't think our present Governor-General Adrian Clarkson paid much attention to figure skating. Ms. Clarkson (or should I say "Queen Clarkson") was too busy spending our tax dollars on decorating her lavish home at Rideau Hall and extravagant trips. I don't know what our new Governor-General will be like. She is from Haiti. Probably never owned a pair of skates in her life. I doubt the tradition will carry on. Most Canadians don't see the need of a Governor-General anymore.

Last edited:

Antilles

Medalist
I don't think the Governor-General actually selects the recipients. I believe he/she simply presents the awards. I'm sure there is a selection committee involved.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Joesitz said:
... I think the Americans get a lunch with current President of the time if they medal in the Olys.

Joe

The entire Oly team (unless there are serious problems -- as with the men's hockey team in '98) meets the president and they present him with a team jacket. I don't think there is anything special for the medalists that is habitually planned (although Condoleeza Rice arranged for Sarah Hughes to meet with Bush, and, Kwan was invited to a state dinner for a Chinese dignitary, but, when hosting a foreign dignitary, the Pres often invites famous Americans who are from, or descended from, the dignitatry's homeland)

S

SkateFan4Life

attyfan said:
The entire Oly team (unless there are serious problems -- as with the men's hockey team in '98) meets the president and they present him with a team jacket. I don't think there is anything special for the medalists that is habitually planned (although Condoleeza Rice arranged for Sarah Hughes to meet with Bush, and, Kwan was invited to a state dinner for a Chinese dignitary, but, when hosting a foreign dignitary, the Pres often invites famous Americans who are from, or descended from, the dignitatry's homeland)

Well, I still think that some type of award is in order. Good Heavens, our government wastes so much money on some idiotic programs (IMHO) that don't do anything positive for their recipients, and here is the opportunity for Uncle Sam to show, in a small way, how much we appreciate our athletes.

S

SkateFan4Life

Ladskater said:
Well it's great that our Governor-General then acknowledged skaters like Brian Orser and Liz Manley, but I don't think our present Governor-General Adrian Clarkson paid much attention to figure skating. Ms. Clarkson (or should I say "Queen Clarkson") was too busy spending our tax dollars on decorating her lavish home at Rideau Hall and extravagant trips. I don't know what our new Governor-General will be like. She is from Haiti. Probably never owned a pair of skates in her life. I doubt the tradition will carry on. Most Canadians don't see the need of a Governor-General anymore.

What? Your Governor-General is from Haiti? I'm assuming she's a Canadian citizen. I guess she probably doesn't have much interest in any winter sports, not to mention figure skating. Will she be in attendance at the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver?

trains

On the Ice
Donald Jackson also has the Order of Canada.
The Governor General is the patron of the Minto Skating Club in Ottawa.
Governor General Lord Minto and Lady Minto started the club over a hundred years ago.
Adrienne Clarkson (and many before her) have arranged special skating parties and performances at Rideau Hall with the kids in the Minto Club. There is a lovely outdoor rink on the grounds.
There is always a letter of congratulations from the Governor General in the Minto Summerskate competition program.

S

SkateFan4Life

Thanks for posting the terrific photographs! I can't think of any Canadian skater more worthy of the Order of Canada than Donald Jackson. What a great champion and sportsman he was and continues to be! First triple lutz at the Worlds in 1962! :clap: :clap: