Campbell's Lineup | Golden Skate

Campbell's Lineup

I think we have all seen this link. What we would like is to see if this will be an international event, and if so, who will be coming?

Joe

S

SkateFan4Life

Joesitz said:
I think we have all seen this link. What we would like is to see if this will be an international event, and if so, who will be coming?

Joe

Well, I just saw the link for the first time a few minutes ago. I saw no other threads on it, so I thought perhaps there were some who also had not seen it as yet.

I doubt if this will become a Grand Prix-status event, but perhaps it will grow. I think it can be a good warm-up for the competitors.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Yes, and the Japanese opening event will be going on as well. I think it is a week before Campbell's. AFAIK Irina and many top Japanese skaters will be in the ladies event.

ladybug

On the Ice
How much is the top prize at the Japan event? Campbell's is $50,000.00. That should lure some elite skaters.

Ladybug

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I know Johnny Weir is currently on schedule for the Japanese event; he is (reportedly) also confirmed for Campbell's. I hope he isn't doing both. He cited overwork at the mid-season Marshall's, and, had to drop out of the GPF due to exhaustion, and, he was injured going into Worlds -- repeating the same mistakes going into Olys is (IMO) not a smart idea. Sacrificing the GP for the cheesefests is not a smart idea -- even though he has CoP experience from prior years, I don't think that ticking off the ISU will be good for his chances at an Oly medal.

Joe, it is still listed as an "international" event on the ISU's official schedule, so we can hope for the best. Campbell's definitely needs a top international lady, otherwise it will just be the Michelle and Sasha show.

Like Ladybug, I am curious about the purse for the Japanese event on Oct. 1.
According to Wvgal posting on FSU, the line-up for Japan is:

Men

Nobunari Oda (world junior champion)
Daisuke Takahashi
Takeshi Honda

Evgeni Plushenko
Jeff Buttle
Johnny Weir

Ladies

Shizuka Arakawa
Miki Ando
Fumie Suguri

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/skate/soul/04JN/04JN61.jpg

Irina Slutskaya
Julia Sebestyen
TBD

So, three Japanese and three international skaters in each group. That would be a nice precedent for Campbell's if they can attract the top people. Carolina Kostner would be a logical invitee for either event, but I don't know whether she would want to do either of them.

I think that Plushenko might do them both. He seems to be able to take these competitions in stride.

If "TBD" doesn't work out, I wonder if Mao Asada might get a chance. She at least doesn't have to worry about planning her calendar with the Olympics in mind.

Last edited:

bdreampixie

On the Ice
Mathman said:
If "TBD" doesn't work out, I wonder if Mao Asada might get a chance. She at least doesn't have to worry about planning her calendar with the Olympics in mind.

Susana Poykio has been confirmed for the event. :)

The Lineup for Japan is a lot more interesting than watching Kwan and Cohen show off their new 'unfinished programs'.

Good luck to Johnny. That's what Tiger does. He goes to most of the events as well as the Masters.

Joe

insecureedge

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
The Lineup for Japan is a lot more interesting than watching Kwan and Cohen show off their new 'unfinished programs'.

Why the quotes around unfinished programs? By the way, I think that both events have very good fields for being "cheesefests." In Japan, you have the return of Evgeny Plushenko, and with it a glimpse into whether his injury has healed and any impacts in choreography with his partnership with Morosov. You also have the silver and 4th place finishers at last worlds in Buttle and Weir, respectively. (Sorry Japanese men, but you're skating for 4th-6th places here. On a side note, practice reports on Honda have been disappointing). On the American side, not having Plushenko is obviously a big loss, but having the bronze and 4th place world finishers with Lysacek and Weir is not too shabby. On the women's side, it does add some excitement having the world champion. The Japanese women, while dynamic and definitely a threat, leave several questions. Suguri (worlds #5) almost always opens the season poorly, it is uncertain whether Arakawa (worlds #9) has regained the fire that lead to her first world championship, and Ando (worlds #6) dropped, at least last year, her distinctive quad attempts and has yet to show the presentation maturity to match the other ladies. It's almost as if familiarity with Cohen and Kwan breeds contempt, as if having world's #2 and #4 makes for a poor event. Again, while I enjoy skaters like Sebestyen (worlds #12) and Poykio (worlds #8), they would be bridesmaids to the rest of the field in either event. Overall, both fields will produce excellent events.

insecureedge

insecureedge - What makes Campbells for me a ho hum event is that I see no chance of it becoming an international event, and even if one skater from another country does show up, I wouldn't exactly call it a BIG event. It will be true to form with media interest in the Kwan/Cohen rivalry - two skaters who, imo, will be just testing the water for the upcoming season.

On a positive note (if one doesn't take the results seriously), we will hear the new music for the season, as well as an outline of the proposed choreogralphy, and of course, the new costumes. There will be for me an interest in watching Emilie, Bebe, and of course, Kimmie for obvious reasons.

The American boys will take it more seriously and with 5 or 6 good skaters battling it out for the Oly's team, this will be a first step to show their stuff. They won't hold back.

Joe

S

SkateFan4Life

I just hope that none of the skaters burn themselves out with the "cheesefests" and other pre-season competitions. Frankly, it might be better for them to stay home, train like crazy, and just stay away from the media hype. Easier said than done, of course! :laugh:

I don't agree. I think comptitions, even friendly ones like the Invitationals, are the best training.

S

SkateFan4Life

Mathman said:
I don't agree. I think comptitions, even friendly ones like the Invitationals, are the best training.

I don't agree with you. IMHO, this constant flying all over the planet to skate in competitions - cheesefests, Grand Prix or whatever - is just plain nutty. The skaters burn themselves out with these competitions and arrive at their own Nationals tired and sometimes (Heaven forbid) injured. OK, I can see the logic in competing in two or three fall competitions so that the programs can be put before the judges, that's OK. But this "If it's Tuesday, it's Paris, if it's Thursday, it's Chicago" mantra s crazy. I know what it's like to be jetlagged, and it's awful!!