Two articles about Turino (ones to watch) | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Two articles about Turino (ones to watch)

Lucy, what I said about Michelle and the GOE is almost a direct quote from interviews with Michelle that appeared in Blades on Ice, International Figure Skating and Spotlight on Skating over the last several months.

She didn't use the term "skating pretty," but she is definitely on record as saying that she expected that the New Judging System would reward a simpler element done exquisitely, equally with a harder element done sloppily. After worlds she said, and I think this is a direct quote, that what she learned was "a level three is a level three," and the quality of execution doesn't seem to count for much.

I don't think that Michelle sounds ridiculous saying this. The initial announcements regarding the CoP did make it seem like this was the purpose of the GOEs (to reward superior execution), even if it didn't work out that way when put to the test.

Michelle also said that she has concerns that the CoP might make those heart-thrilling, blow-the-roof-off performances fewer and farther between. But she goes on to say that, whether she likes the New Judging System or not, that's the way it is. "I can't be retro." (Another direct quote.)

MM

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Right, I agree. I do believe this was a learning experience for her, and she will (or should) know better next time. I do think (and think is the operative word here, folks) that she allowed the system to get to her so much that it defeated her. This is one reason why doing the G.P. this year, I believe would really be beneficial to her. But of course, it's her decision.

Does this mean she'll win? Nobody knows yet.

Lucy25

Final Flight
Mathman said:
Lucy, what I said about Michelle and the GOE is almost a direct quote from interviews with Michelle that appeared in Blades on Ice, International Figure Skating and Spotlight on Skating over the last several months.

She didn't use the term "skating pretty," but she is definitely on record as saying that she expected that the New Judging System would reward a simpler element done exquisitely, equally with a harder element done sloppily. After worlds she said, and I think this is a direct quote, that what she learned was "a level three is a level three," and the quality of execution doesn't seem to count for much.

I don't think that Michelle sounds ridiculous saying this. The initial announcements regarding the CoP did make it seem like this was the purpose of the GOEs (to reward superior execution), even if it didn't work out that way when put to the test.

Michelle also said that she has concerns that the CoP might make those heart-thrilling, blow-the-roof-off performances fewer and farther between. But she goes on to say that, whether she likes the New Judging System or not, that's the way it is. "I can't be retro." (Another direct quote.)

MM

Thanks for the clarification, MM. :)