Gymnastics - 2005 Nationals - Chellsie Memmel Interview | Golden Skate

Gymnastics - 2005 Nationals - Chellsie Memmel Interview

Johar

Medalist
I watched the gymnastics from Indianapolis. Memmel's uneven bars routine was awesome!

Buzzz

Final Flight
I saw a bit of it myself, but was unfortunately unable to watch the whole thing. :( Congrats on the winner and I cannot wait until the Worlds. When will we know who gets to make their respective world teams? :)

Johar

Medalist
I don't know when we will know. I am anxious to find out myself.

Those tricks they do look impossibly hard!

Buzzz

Final Flight
And these girls all make what they do looks so easy. I guess that is a sure way to know that they are world class. :) I have read about the Romanian, Russian, Australian, and Ukrainian teams, and they each have young promising new comers that I desperately want to see do their stuff. :)

Buzzz

Final Flight
Khokina recently had a baby in the California for an actor. And is recovering. She plans to return to Russia with the child in a few months. She is also part of that country's Olympic Association. :)

Buzzz

Final Flight
Have China held their nationals yet? I so rarely get any news from that country.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
This probably sounds like a REALLY stupid question. I love watching Gymnastics, but haven't been following things much at all during the season. When / where is World's this year?

The young gal who won the all-around for the US this year sure looked AMAZING on TV. (sorry, since I haven't been following I don't have the names planted in my brain). The gal who got something like a 9.9 on floor ex - WOW. Everything she did just seemed so effortless. I hope she can improve some on the uneven bars. Looks like the US has the makings of a very good team for Worlds.

DG

Buzzz

Final Flight
The young gymnast you were refering to is Nastia Luikin, daughter of Soviet gold medalist, Valeri Luikin, and she has been hailed as the "next one". She is also a two time junior champion. And the worlds will be held in Melbourne Australia from November 21st to 27th. :)

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Buzzz said:
The young gymnast you were refering to is Nastia Luikin, daughter of Soviet gold medalist, Valeri Luikin, and she has been hailed as the "next one". She is also a two time junior champion. And the worlds will be held in Melbourne Australia from November 21st to 27th. :)

Thanks for the info Buzzz. Hope there is some decent TV coverage!

DG

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I find it interesting that in looking at both the ladies and men's national team, there are so many new names. I guess just about every single Olympian except Chelsie Memmel (an alternate), has retired.

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Actually, a lot of the ladies all went to the NCAA to compete there. I know Courtney Kupets, Tasha Schwiekert, Terin Humphrey, and a few of the other girls who were up there but didn't make the team are all competing for various colleges this coming year. I think they were all around the same age (seniors in high school last year) so the NCAAs should be pretty darn fantastic this year with all those girls! I hope that CBS continues to show the NCAA gymnastics in the early spring as they've done the last few years because that should be awesome. As far as the guys go, IIRC, only Blaine Wilson retired from competition. Jason Gatson, Raj Bavshar, and Brett McClure were all scheduled to compete but had to withdraw due to injuries. The Hamms are focusing on school for a while and I haven't heard anything about Guard Young. So a few of the US guys are still competing, they just couldn't compete at Nats this year. :sheesh:

And I think Nastia is such a beautiful gymnast. I think she's only going to get better with a little time too. Hopefully she makes it to Beijing and does some wonderful things there. :rock:

For anyone interested, they are showing the Men's competition from Nats tomorrow afternoon from 1-2:30 PM EST. I'm looking forward to seeing this new generation of guys and the stuff that they can do! :clap:

Kasey

Medalist
I feel old...I remember watching VALERI Liukin and being excited by what he could do...now I'm watching his daughter! Yikes!

CDMM1991

Medalist
KwanFan1212 said:
For anyone interested, they are showing the Men's competition from Nats tomorrow afternoon from 1-2:30 PM EST. I'm looking forward to seeing this new generation of guys and the stuff that they can do! :clap:

What station?

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Oh no! I *knew* I forgot something when I posted this last night! The mens competition aired on NBC this afternoon. I hope some other people were able to catch it. Sorry guys!! :disapp:

Buzzz

Final Flight
The status of the Romanian team at this fall's world championships was put into doubt Monday as Catalina Ponor and others were sent home following an unauthorized weekend escapade to a nightclub. :eek: