Pedantic Pet Peeve | Golden Skate

Pedantic Pet Peeve

antmanb

Record Breaker
OK i've just hit breaking point!

It is absolutely doing my head in to see so many people writing Turino.

The Italian spelling is Torino, the english spelling is Turin. It is one or the other not a frankenstein's monster of both!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:scowl:

Sorry just blowing off steam!!!!!!!!!

Ant

SusanBeth

Final Flight
Thank you! I've seen it spelled so many ways that I wasn't sure what was correct! Torino, Torino, Torino.... I think I've got it! :)

Spirit

On the Ice
Thanks for the spelling correction. I was Torin in two about which to use.

S

SkateFan4Life

Thanks for the lesson in spelling! I'm afraid that Torino isn't a word we can run through spell check! :rofl:

Dyan

On the Ice
Spirit said:
Thanks for the spelling correction. I was Torin in two about which to use.

:rofl:

Anyway, antmanb thank you for blowing off some steam. Some of us have been guilty of misspelling Torino/Turin because we didn't know any better (speaking of myself of course.)

And not to hijack your thread but since we are on pet peeves... I can't stand it when the ladies wear boots covers that don't cover the entire boot. Rather it comes down around the ankle but the boot is uncovered. I've mostly seen some of the younger skaters do this but MK did it at Worlds in Moscow (not picking on Michelle in particular but I figured everybody would have seen her in Moscow so it would be easier to explain what I'm talking about.)

I like the tights in the boot or the entire boot covered but the half and half look makes me :scratch: .

SkateFan4Life said:
Thanks for the lesson in spelling! I'm afraid that Torino isn't a word we can run through spell check! :rofl:
I ran Torino through spellcheck and it came out Toronto.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mathman said:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Not to sound petty or hijack this thread, but I would love to see people spell "Eldredge" correctly. I've seen so many misspellings of his name in newspaper articles, etc. - "Eldridge," "Eldrege, " "Eldrige," "Elderage." Come on! What's so difficult about it?

OK, I've said my piece and made my point. :yes: Hopefully I spelled "misspell" right (one "s" or two?).

Last edited:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Mathman said:
In a previous version of Windows Word spellchecker, there was rhis neat trick. If you entered "zzz", and ran a spell checker, you'd get "sex". Go figure!

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Okay - my pet peeve is when fans write about their favorite Russian skaters using the overly familiar form of their names - and especially when Americans do this. Example: calling Evgeni Plushenko by the more familiar 'Zhenya."
Or....calling Alexei Yagudin by the familiar "Lyosha" or "Alyosha."

Now, I agree that with Alexander Abt it's okay to call him "Sasha" because he seems to be universally called by that name...although when he identifies himself, at least in English, he always refers to himself as "Alexander." But some people take even that too far and refer to him as Sashenka.

I just find it a teensy bit annoying that fans that would never address a skater by the more 'familiar' nickname when meeting them face-to-face feel free to do so when discussing and writing about them. If the person doing it is actually Russian, then it's more acceptable but when I hear Americans refering to them in that manner, it does grate. It would sort of be like hearing a US fan approach Tarasova and say to her, "Hey Tanja, how 'ya doin?"...you get the drift.

Okay - SIGH OF RELIEF - I've gotten that off my chest, LOL.

Last edited:

Spirit

On the Ice
Does this mean it would be inappropriate to refer to Michelle as "my sweetie honeybunch?"

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Only to her face, LOL - but then again she's American so you can probably get away with anything...

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Zanzibar said:
Okay - my pet peeve is when fans write about their favorite Russian skaters using the overly familiar form of their names - and especially when Americans do this. Example: calling Evgeni Plushenko by the more familiar 'Zhenya."
Or....calling Alexei Yagudin by the familiar "Lyosha" or "Alyosha."
I think the irritant for me is when we call Evgeni, Plush or Plushy and especially when we call Alexei.............Yags. I guess I don't understand how you get Yags out of Yagudin. :laugh: :laugh: I don't know why it irritates me so much but then I guess with my first name, not Dee, people can have me sign and print my name right in their presence and they enter it misspelled. Ugh :mad: :mad:

Dee

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Dee4707 said:
I think the irritant for me is when we call Evgeni, Plush or Plushy and especially when we call Alexei.............Yags. I guess I don't understand how you get Yags out of Yagudin. :laugh: :laugh: I don't know why it irritates me so much but then I guess with my first name, not Dee, people can have me sign and print my name right in their presence and they enter it misspelled. Ugh :mad: :mad:

Dee

That's funny - can't spell 'Dee' correctly - what do they put in? Just 'D'??
Regarding Plush and Plushy - his agent(s) and even Mike Collins from COI will
often refer to him that way.

It was a bit of an eye-opener the first time as I had thought the pronounciation was 'Plush' as in 'Plush toy' but they call him 'Ploosh' with a hard O. So then I had to stop saying it, LOL - I just couldn't say "Ploosh!" with a straight face.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Zanzibar said:
I don't know. When I'm speaking in Russian, I'd never call Plushenko "Zhenya"; however, when I'm writing in English it just comes naturally; I even write "Plushy" or "Yags" just because it's easier.

On a similar note, do you get annoyed when press refers to Condaleeza Rice as Condi?

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Ptichka said:
I don't know. When I'm speaking in Russian, I'd never call Plushenko "Zhenya"; however, when I'm writing in English it just comes naturally; I even write "Plushy" or "Yags" just because it's easier.

On a similar note, do you get annoyed when press refers to Condaleeza Rice as Condi?

Yes, LOL, but only because I lost so much respect for her after watching the 911 hearings on TV last year. Her complete lack of grasp for any of the issues - small or glaringly large - surrounding aviation security was apalling. 911 may have come as a complete surprise to her, but even flight attendants in the industry were aware of the lack of security and credible threats were a constant source of discussion. I think she answered 'I don't know' to about 99 questions in a row, which was really sad because it wasn't like she didn't have time to do 'catch-up' homework.

Okay - rant off - and back to pedantic pet peeves, lol, so that this thread doesn't get hijacked.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Zanzibar said:
I think she answered 'I don't know' to about 99 questions in a row, which was really sad because it wasn't like she didn't have time to do 'catch-up' homework.
While I know I should get the conversation back to the topic, I still have to say - you don't really believe she doesn't know, do you? This is a woman whose attention to detail throughout her career has been impecable. Unfortunately, the climate in the US is such that it is more advantageous for the leadership to appear ignorant than to say anything at all that might make it look like they are incriminating themselves. Sad.