Pedantic Pet Peeve | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Pedantic Pet Peeve

gkelly

Record Breaker
Dee4707 said:
I guess I don't understand how you get Yags out of Yagudin.

I think the first time I heard that abbreviation was from a fan reporting that Yagudin himself had signed an autograph that way, I think at 1997 Europeans, when he was the no. 2 Alexei on the Russian team.

Zanzy, now I'm curious. When you talk with your good friend Alexei Konstantinovich, what do you call him?

MM :)

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ptichka said:
On a similar note, do you get annoyed when press refers to Condaleeza Rice as Condi?
Yes, very much so.

Dee

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Mathman said:
Zanzy, now I'm curious. When you talk with your good friend Alexei Konstantinovich, what do you call him?

MM :)

It's a Russian term for 'pain in the backside.' Hee-hee, just kidding!
But seriously I would never call him 'Lyosha' or 'Alyosha' - only Russians can pull that off, lol - you can tell by the look on his face when Americans try it. :scowl: He calls himself (to Americans) 'Uh-lex'-ee...with a hard e, and not 'Uh-lex'ay...

And Mathman...don't think I didn't notice the 'Zanzy,' ;)

Last edited:

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Zanzibar said:
It's a Russian term for 'pain in the backside.' Hee-hee, just kidding!
I've called him that myself a few times.

And Mathman...don't think I didn't notice the 'Zanzy,' ;)
Kathleen, we could call him Mathie from now on or the name that really gets to him is Larry. :laugh: :laugh:

Dee

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Dee4707 said:
I've called him that myself a few times.

Kathleen, we could call him Mathie from now on or the name that really gets to him is Larry. :laugh: :laugh:

Dee

Larry? Hmm....thanks for the inside dirt Dee...it's always good to know how to get under a man's skin, LOL!

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Ptichka said:
In a previous version of Windows Word spellchecker, there was rhis neat trick. If you entered "zzz", and ran a spell checker, you'd get "sex". Go figure!

Sex.......zzz.......this guy sure gets around, even spell checker knows about him :biggrin:.

Dyan

On the Ice
Zanzibar said:
Only to her face, LOL - but then again she's American so you can probably get away with anything...

I respect your feelings completely on being too familiar with the skaters. But shouldn't that go for anybody we see on television or in the papers? In all honesty I'm not sure what I would call any of the skaters (or any other celebrity) if I met them since we really don't know these people personally at all.

Voicing my views on a message board is one thing but face to face is another. I admit I have used the Plushy for Plushenko and Masha for Maria Butryskaya before but no disrespect was meant. I love reading the Russian interviews and seeing how they refer to one another. I am embarrased to admit that I didn't realize one pronounced "Plushy" as Plooshy. :laugh:

I also disagree that you can get away with anything in America; that all depends on what situation you find yourself in. We are living in the era of political correctness.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Dyan said:
:rofl:

Anyway, antmanb thank you for blowing off some steam. Some of us have been guilty of misspelling Torino/Turin because we didn't know any better (speaking of myself of course.)

And not to hijack your thread but since we are on pet peeves... I can't stand it when the ladies wear boots covers that don't cover the entire boot. Rather it comes down around the ankle but the boot is uncovered. I've mostly seen some of the younger skaters do this but MK did it at Worlds in Moscow (not picking on Michelle in particular but I figured everybody would have seen her in Moscow so it would be easier to explain what I'm talking about.)

I like the tights in the boot or the entire boot covered but the half and half look makes me :scratch: .

Count me in as agreeing with you totally! - Really didn't like the way it looked on michelle...and didn't she comit the same fashion crim ein teh exhibitions?! I prefer the tights over boots look.

Ant

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I always respected the fact that Michelle normally just skated in her white boots without any coverings and then she does the half thing and I thought......Michelly you look like you have fat ankles. :laugh: :laugh:

Dee

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
:rolleye:
Dee4707 said:
I always respected the fact that Michelle normally just skated in her white boots without any coverings and then she does the half thing and I thought......Michelly you look like you have fat ankles. :laugh: :laugh:

Dee

Maybe with all of the complaints of her being soooooooooooooo fat :rolleye: last season she decided to add fat ankles to even things out :rofl: .! Maybe they can redo the song..........

.Michelly's fat belly
Kept her off the po-di-um............Roundboy Pete feel free to jump in and help me out please!

BTW, I hate the boot covers too!

antmanb

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
And don't forget Fiorenze is Florence; Ligurno is Leghorn but it's nobody's business but the Italians.

I presume they're both intentionally anglicised since Firenze is the REAL name of the city english speakers refer to as Florence.

Ant

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
I thought I was the only one who got really annoyed by the use of "Turino." Glad to know I'm not alone. I don't partculary care for Turin either (but at least its correct) Torino sounds much nicer.