Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What Olympic Pressure Will There Be for......

What Olympic Pressure Will There Be for......

From another thread I listed some Ladies and what I perceive will be their pressure for skating in the Olys.

Scenario: Think of yourself as a top skater in the Olympics. It's just been announced the (Men; Ladies, Pairs, Dance) take the ice for warm up; after the warm-up you wait around and then you hear; Next contestant __________ please take the ice. You are immediately aware of the thousands of eyes on you including the stares of the judges. You glide on; take you place; and wait for the music to begin. At that point what are you feeling?

Name two,three or more skaters and teams and tell us about the perceived pressure you see them facing.

Joe

Custom Title
    This is a hard one, because in that situation I would have trouble remembering my name, let alone how to skate.

Michelle: She has said that her biggest mistake was being too cautious. I can imagine her thinking, "Don't think too much Go for it!"

Sasha: Since she has that tendency to let up on concentration, I hope she's thinking, "One thing at a time. Just take it one thing at a time!"

I see Kwan thinking "this is it". I'm going all out to get a medal.- High pressure

I see Irina thinking "Russia needs me. I must win".- Very High Pressure

I see Johnny thinking about regaining his stature as the No. l American Male Skater, but he has another Oly to worry about a gold so the pressure is not great.

I see Tim also thinking about regaining his stature as No. l.American Male - very high pressure.

I see Plushenko - I've got this wrapped up. No mistakes. pressure but not high.

Joubert and Lambiel - Very high pressure to get Oly medals, and may be gold.

Buttle - I just have to take it easy and win the audience. pressure but not high.

S&Z - This is it. Injury or not. - very high pressure

T&M - We can't do anymore. this is it. - low pressure.

Den&Stav - We wont get what we deserve anyway - low pressure.

Nav&Kost - We should win this. Little pressure.

So what do you think the skaters are feeling at the 'moment of truth'? Name others, of courese.

Joe

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Plushenko - Now where is I fell last Olympics, I can't do that in this one.

Dee

On the Ice
    Kostner... pressure to skate well in front of a home crowd
    Slutskaya... pressure of being 'the favorite'
    Cohen... pressure from within, of wanting to win 'too badly'
    Kwan... pressure to live up to past results, and to up the technical ante
    Japanese Ladies... pressure from their skating federation to fulfill expectations, and to start winning championships again

Weir, Buttle... pressure to try the quad if others skate cleanly
    Lambiel... pressure to live up to expectations as reigning world champion
    Plushenko... pressure to regain his place at the top of the sport after injury, to win the big prize that eluded him in the last Olympics
    Joubert... pressure to land his jumps, his 'money maker' under COP, and to recover from his performance at Worlds 2005
    Last edited by EricAba; 08-09-2005 at 01:39 PM.

Keeper of La Khok's Tutus Doggygirl's Avatar

The winners...

IMO will be the ones who can take the ice, take a deep breath, and for the next few minutes put all those things out of their heads and just skate liked they've trained to. "Tunnel Vission" if you will. The skaters who are still thinking of these various pressures as they begin their programs will be at risk IMO for less than stellar performances.

DG

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    I see Irina thinking "Russia needs me. I must win".- Very High Pressure
    Really? You must be reading different interviews than I am. I'd think it's more of "I'll show all those who've written me off!".

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptichka
    Really? You must be reading different interviews than I am. I'd think it's more of "I'll show all those who've written me off!".
    What interviews have there been that indicate that Irina is being written off? Have any been after this year's Worlds? If anything, I would think that the "I'll show all those who've written me off" is Michelle's mantra.

Plushenko – pressure to make Mishin proud, pressure to comeback from disappointment in Moscow, pressure to validate Mishin’s training methods after driving Urmanov into early retirement due to over-training.
    Klimkin – no pressure
    Joubert – pressure to find inner strength to skate well without support from the evil French federation, pressure to wear decent costumes, pressure to skate to Riverdance without becoming a punch line
    Lindemann – pressure to hold himself together, pressure to prove that he belongs in the company of world class skaters, pressure to solidify his potential to be an amazing show skater, looming specter of Dortmund bronze medal after disastrous showing in Moscow that caused most people to write him off
    Honda – no pressure – no one expects him to be able to skate
    Takahashi – pressure to prove he is more than just a place holder in the absence of Honda before Oda takes over the Japanese men’s scene
    Oda – pressure to step outside the shadow of Mao Asada’s celebrity and assert himself as an athlete
    Li – pressure to make a definitive statement about to how he will be remembered after finishing 5th,7th,5th,4th,10th, and 5th at worlds since 2000
    Sandhu – no pressure because no one expects anything, but secret pressure because not everyone has *really* given up on him and still hold out hope that he is the only skater who can topple a clean Plushenko
    Buttle – pressure to prove the world silver was no fluke and live up to his performance at nationals this year
    Sawyer – minimal pressure to position himself as the next big thing among Canadian men and keep himself ahead of Chan and Mabee looking toward Vancouver 2010
    Weir – self inflicted pressure to be a spokesperson for “opening minds,” media pressure to provide interesting sound bites, certain to be a punch line among late night comics during the Olympics for his stereotypical male figure skater flamboyance. Self-inflicted pressure to carry the torch of “Russian style.” Minimal pressure to skate clean.
    Lysacek – self-inflicted pressure to make people love him, pressure to prove his world bronze was deserved, pressure to prove he is the next big thing in male figure skating, pressure of ghosts of Fratianne, Bowman and Kwan to finally win one for Frank.
    Goebel – pressure to keep from burning microwave popcorn while watching Olympics from his apartment.
    Savoie – pressure to stay in school and prove he is not another Sarah Hughes; pressure to suppress his artistic spirit while studying law
    Lambiel – pressure to exorcise the demons of Ruh and Biellman and win one for Switzerland. Pressure to prove he is a worthy world champion, pressure to compete against Plushenko.
    Othman – pressure to continue the momentum of Swiss men’s skating
    KVDP - pressure to land his 3-3-3 and prove to the miserly Belgian federation that he is worthy of their precious euros

Quote Originally Posted by attyfan
    What interviews have there been that indicate that Irina is being written off? Have any been after this year's Worlds? If anything, I would think that the "I'll show all those who've written me off" is Michelle's mantra.
    Naturally, I do not mean this season. However, just about nobody thought last year that she'd be able to return. She also indicated in at least one interview that she was hurt by the federation not believing in her either. I think this whole season it has been her driver, and I expect it to continue into the next one as well.

Quote Originally Posted by brad640
    Oda – pressure to step outside the shadow of Mao Asada’s celebrity and assert himself as an athlete.
    I believe Japan has only two men's spots. Is this right? So I think Oda is in the same position as Kimme Meissner. The pressure he faces is just to skate well at the senior level and to make the team. He will not have anything to prove beyond that. IMHO.

I think Japan, like the U.S., is more into ladies than men. Mao Asada may turn out to be the next Midori Ito -- a national heroine.

Sandhu – no pressure because no one expects anything, but secret pressure because not everyone has *really* given up on him and still hold out hope that he is the only skater who can topple a clean Plushenko.
    He could do it! Unfortuately, just the pressure of being Emanuel Sandhu seems to take its toll in every competion. There is a penetrating interview with Eman in International Figure Skating, in which he mentions his unhappy family situation and the burden that he feels of being judged (in life, not just in his skating) as never being quite good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptichka
    Nothing to do with her great 'comeback'. That will always be a classic. What I meant by the remark was that 1.First Russian Lady to win an Olympics; and 2. Needed to complete the sweep of medals. I'm assuming Piseev is wanting this.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    He could do it! Unfortuately, just the pressure of being Emanuel Sandhu seems to take its toll in every competion. There is a penetrating interview with Eman in International Figure Skating, in which he mentions his unhappy family situation and the burden that he feels of being judged (in life, not just in his skating) as never being quite good enough.
    I didn't mention Sandhu because he is on my list of HIT AND MISSES. He's there with Nikidinov and Lindemann. They're all good skaters but........ expectation is not a certain.

Joe

SkateFan4Life
    Michelle Kwan - "I've blown two opportunities to win Olympic gold, and here I am in the same position. If I win the long program, I win the gold medal, otherwise, it's another silver or bronze medal, or perhaps nothing. So-and-so has a triple axel, which I don't have, and my triple/triple is inconsistent. OK - enough mental games - just go out there and do it!"

Sasha Cohen - "I want to win the gold so badly! I know I can do it, but I'm worried about my triple lutz and my takeoff to my triple flip." (Cohen goes on and on with more worries about her technique). "OK - take a cleansing breath, skate to center ice, focus, and just skate."

Irina Slutskaya - "This is my moment. I'm the favorite, and the judges want me to win. If I skate my best, I will win, regardles of what anybody else does. Just skate and land everything."

Custom Title
    Japan only has one spot and in translated interviews, Shirota (head of Japanese Fed) was pi$$ed that Honda couldn't skate well [he wasn't confident due to his injury yet assured the fed that he could skate]. I have a feeling he isn't going to be on the Japanese Olympic team. They will probably send Oda so Oda can get experience for the next games because it's highly unlikely that Honda is going to get a medal.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast