Plushenko AND Joubert now at Campbells!! | Golden Skate

Plushenko AND Joubert now at Campbells!!

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Whoo-hoo! Good news! USFS just confirmed Plushenko AND Joubert will compete at Campbell's International in St. Paul on October 8th. I had thought that with Evgeni's prior committment to the Japan event that he would not make it, but word is that he will. Jeff Buttle rounds out the 'international men.'

On the Ladies we've got - yea! - Irina Slutskaya!

This should be interesting!!

Last edited:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Woo hoo! This is very good news!! I hope they all show up, with skates on fire!

DG

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
On the ladies side -- invitations have also gone out to Ando, Suguri and Kostner, but they have not yet confirmed.

I knew Plushenko and Slutskaya would come. They are not afraid to compete, not too delicate to risk jet lag, not so fragile that an extra competition burns them out or interfers with peaking at the right time.

This will be amazing. The American ladies and gentlemen better bring it!

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Man, this is going to be tough as I love the skating of Joubert, Plushenko AND
Weir. Who to root for....who to root for.....going to be hard to pick one...like a really delectable box of chocolates, lol.

Be nice to see any of those 3 at the top as it would be wonderful to see Plushenko recovered from injury, Johnny ready to peak in an Olympic season, and Brian return as a force to be reckoned with after the 'Moscow Meltdown.'

The whole men's field will be super. Plushenko, Joubert, Buttle, Weir, Lysacek and Goebel. Without wanting to read too much into a pre-season event....OK, I can't help myself, LOL. We should at least be able to form an opinion, from the Japanese competition and Campbell's together, about whether Plushenko is back to form after his injuries and surgeries.

I am not worried about Joubert. He had one bad skate at Moscow. That was then, this is now.

On the ladies side, Slutskaya can cement her position as the one to beat if she keeps on rolling. If she lets up, it's a dogfight again.

Kimmie, and especially Emily -- and even Carolina, to some extent -- will be looking to show that they really do belong in this company. (But I'll be rooting for Fumie, LOL.)

Mathman

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Mathman said:
I knew Plushenko and Slutskaya would come. They are not afraid to compete, not too delicate to risk jet lag, not so fragile that an extra competition burns them out or interfers with peaking at the right time.

This will be amazing. The American ladies and gentlemen better bring it!

I don't think that the issue with the Russians is that they are braver or stronger than the Americans. I think, instead, that they are a lot hungrier. Kwan and Cohen can sit out events without the same monetary worries that plague the Russians, simply because of the endorsement money. Also, as Kwan in SLC (or Plushy in Moscow) should have taught everyone -- gold is not a sure thing -- so the Russians are likely to be driven to get what they can, when they can. The first place prize money at Campbell's is the same as the estimated cost of the transplant that Irina's mom needs; and Plushy now has a wife (and rumors of a baby) to support.

At least this wont be a total bore. We'll get to see several unfinished programs and have a little competition on the side. I think they will be using their new programs but then again, they don't really have to.

Depending on the travel time required including time to rid themselves of jet lag, the Americans have an advantage.

Joe

Zanzibar

Final Flight
attyfan said:
I don't think that the issue with the Russians is that they are braver or stronger than the Americans. I think, instead, that they are a lot hungrier. Kwan and Cohen can sit out events without the same monetary worries that plague the Russians, simply because of the endorsement money. Also, as Kwan in SLC (or Plushy in Moscow) should have taught everyone -- gold is not a sure thing -- so the Russians are likely to be driven to get what they can, when they can. The first place prize money at Campbell's is the same as the estimated cost of the transplant that Irina's mom needs; and Plushy now has a wife (and rumors of a baby) to support.

While I totally agree with you that part of the reason for such a strong dominance by Russian skaters over the years is that they truly need the money and success in skating was their one ticket out of there...Plushenko's new wife comes from a very rich background - multimillionaires - so he won't be skating for diapers and baby food, he'll be competing for what he likes best: gold medals.

Mathman said:
Here's the link to the story on the USFS site, Joe. So far it says that Carolina has been invited but has not yet accepted.

http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=30414

Oh, I didn't know it was updated. thanks MM. No Bebe, but 4 american gals. plus Irina, and who?. I don't think the Japanese gals will cross the pacific for this when there is one in their own back yard. Carolina?? hmmm.....

And the boys competition will be the most interesting as a competition. Pity, no room for Stephane.

Joe

I think there is a good chance that Fumie and Miki will both come, even after skating the week before in Japan. Why wouldn't they? Skating is what they do. It looks like they are hoping to get 8 ladies in all, 4 U.S., four International, and 3 and 3 for the men.

They will probably show only five ladies and five men (or maybe four and six) on TV.

Vash01

Medalist
Great news! Campbell's won't be a total bore afterall, even with unfinished programs. I am hungry to see Plushenko again.

Mathman said:
I think there is a good chance that Fumie and Miki will both come, even after skating the week before in Japan. Why wouldn't they? Skating is what they do. It looks like they are hoping to get 8 ladies in all, 4 U.S., four International, and 3 and 3 for the men.

Wishful thinking. With that rationale, can you imagine MK going to Japan because that's what she does? :)

They will probably show only five ladies and five men (or maybe four and six) on TV.

We'll never see 8 Ladies on TV. They could show it on ESPN LIVE but I'm sure Campbells wants to be sure it will get more publicity on ABC.

I think we have to see how this develops without getting hopes to high.

Joe

A little off topic, but on the subject of television coverage, CBC is giving a lot of great coverage to the world track and field championships going on right now. U.S. network TV, zilch.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Originally Posted by Mathman

Joesitz said:
Wishful thinking. With that rationale, can you imagine MK going to Japan because that's what she does? :) ... .

Joe

Does anyone know if Fumie and/or Miki are getting endorsement money?

I don't know for sure, but I doubt it. From our discussions previously it seems like even Michelle and Sasha only get the prize money that they earn. (At least they don't get a bonus from USFS.)

But even the money for a low finish at least covers your expenses.

I think that both Fumie and Miki like to skate in the U.S., or at least they don't mind it. I think it is telling that Shizuka is not on the list. I'll bet she was asked, at least on an informal and preliminary basis, and declined. Miki is training in the U.S., and Fumie has said that she likes touring in North America because it gives her a chance to practice her English. She hopes to attend graduate school here one day.

These two invitationals (Japan and Campbell's) are well before the Grand Prix starts up. I see nothing risky or startling about skaters like Irina, Miki, etc., saying, what the heck, I'll fly here and there, throw 'em a triple Lutz or two, pocket some spare change, have some fun, get some publicity. There's plenty of time to panic about the Olympics later.

Mathman :)

Mathman said:
These two invitationals (Japan and Campbell's) are well before the Grand Prix starts up. I see nothing risky or startling about skaters like Irina, Miki, etc., saying, what the heck, I'll fly here and there, throw 'em a triple Lutz or two, pocket some spare change, have some fun, get some publicity. There's plenty of time to panic about the Olympics later.Mathman :)
And Michelle and Sasha will say 'what the heck I'll fly to Japan'. :) MM I know you are all worked up for this, but I think we have to see exactly what is happending.

Joe