Doggy updates anyone?? | Golden Skate

Doggy updates anyone??

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I just noticed on an "Edge" thread that Emma is a doggy lover, and I don't think we've ever seen Emma's dog(s). So to pass a little more off season time, I thought it might be fun for us doggy lovers to share news, new pics, or old pics. (I never get tired of them!)

I have some pictures of Buck the Beagle and Cleopatra the mutt and will provide links once we have them on our web site. They just lead the good life around here - no work for food in their program!

Mean time, here's the Shepherd update. Kimba passed her AD (endurance test - she goes 12km with a person on a bike) in June. She is now preparing to trial for her BH which is an obedience / traffic test exercise. She is also preparing for her Schutzhund I trial, which will come after the BH. That will involve an obedience routine, protection routine, and tracking. She has had a pretty good season so far this year in the conformation ring as well. She has won first in her age group at two regional shows, and fourth (???) at another. LOL, we just decided that judge has bad taste! :rock: She will be going to one more regional show in late September, then to the National Sieger show in October. Our fingers are crossed for a good finish, but the titles are MUCH more important right now for her future.

Ferguson - I can't believe he's already 8 months old! He's a big boy too - 76 pounds last time we checked. He's got the obedience basics down, and we recently started his foundation "puppy" protection training. He "ain't no Kimba" in the conformation ring ;) but that's OK. Kimba being as good as she is was a pure stroke of good luck, and we didn't expect lightening to strike twice in the same spot. His best finish so far is 4th place, which was a REALLY nice placement for him and we were happy!

OK - So what's new (or old) with everyone else's dogs?

DG

Not much new with our old gals...Aggie the indoor-dog, a 15 1/2 year old JRT. And Nellie, the outdoor dog, a 13 year old pointer-beagle mix.
We had hoped to make a trip to Ohio for a gathering of the folks from the JRT(Jack Russell Terrier) MB I belong to, but decided against it because of Aggie's age. She can get so worked up and excited, I didn't think the long car trip nor exposing her to so many strange people and dogs would be good for her. Her health in general is good, but I worry getting so worked up could give her a heart attack.
You can see pictures of Aggie, and also Nellie, here:
http://www.PATCH57.homestead.com/AggiesPages.html

Petlover

On the Ice
Good topic! Barney, the mutt, is 13 years old, and friskier than ever - it's like his second puppyhood! Buddy, the fear-biter cock-a-poo, hardly ever bites anymore, he has really come around! I still don't let him around people he does not know, but he is a wonderful loving dog with my husband and I. Panda, the peke-a-poo, and Frances, the sheltie, play for hours, and keep each other in good shape. Simba, the shih tzu, keeps everyone in line, and barks at 4 pm every day for her dinner. Snowy, the cat, tries to ignore everyone except when we are eating, and then he begs with the rest of the dogs.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
NJSk8Fan said:

I love your photo album!! Looks like Christmas at your house is a lot like Christmas at our house. That's the day of the year where we do a MAJOR toy overhaul - out with most of the carcasses and in with the new. LOL - we have a couple toys in common! Aggie with the multicolored one I call a "jack" (jack for a JRT :)) that has the points coming out and the sqeaker at the end of each one. And also the one that I guess is supposed to be a possum - we call those "Wombats" around here - all the dogs love them - even Buck the Beagle who isn't much of a toy guy.

I've been debating about posting Kimba's updated web page. As I mentioned, she has moved "up" in her training, which includes protection work. Many people don't understand this type of training (as I didn't initially) and think "oh no! they are teaching that dog to bite and be mean!" That couldn't be further from the truth. ALL dogs, regardless of breed or size already know how to bite. This training is geared towards complete control of the dog. To pass a trial, it is JUST as important for the dog to disengage on command (or better yet, without a command - but that's a finer point) as it is for the dog to engage with the "bad guy" in the first place. A dog with the wrong kind of temperament is NOT well suited for this training whether that's in sport (like us) or for a real job (like a police K-9) and will never pass a trial or get a "real" job. So I will go ahead and post the link, and I hope anyone with questions about this type of training for sport or for real jobs will ask rather than judge.

Kimba: http://www.godtw.com/Mittelwest/Kimba/kimba.html

WAY at the bottom of that page are a couple pictures of my husband "learning" to be a helper (the "bad guy" in protection work). Of course he was paired with a "veteran" dog who knew what she was supposed to do regardless of any mistakes he made as a helper! Becoming a good helper / trainer takes years, and is a very subtle thing - not as simple as it looks. A good helper/trainer brings out the best in a dog, and a bad one can easily ruin a dog. There is a shortage in the US of really good helpers - at least on the sport side of things. We are VERY lucky to have a great helper / trainer working with Kimba, and a different but equally good helper / training getting Ferguson started.

Geez - I can rival RGirl (where ARE you by the way?!?) for length of posts about dogs!!

DG

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Petlover said:
Good topic! Barney, the mutt, is 13 years old, and friskier than ever - it's like his second puppyhood! Buddy, the fear-biter cock-a-poo, hardly ever bites anymore, he has really come around! I still don't let him around people he does not know, but he is a wonderful loving dog with my husband and I. Panda, the peke-a-poo, and Frances, the sheltie, play for hours, and keep each other in good shape. Simba, the shih tzu, keeps everyone in line, and barks at 4 pm every day for her dinner. Snowy, the cat, tries to ignore everyone except when we are eating, and then he begs with the rest of the dogs.

WE WANT PICTURES!!!

DG

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
This is Yuka with my g'parent's pug Willie :) They nap while the family goes fishing all day... cuz, you know, it's tough work being a dog :laugh:

normal_scan0011.jpg

normal_scan0010.jpg

normal_scan0009.jpg

Willie uses Yuka as his pillow...

normal_scan0008.jpg

normal_scan0006.jpg

normal_scan0012.jpg

PatriciaMcLinn

Rinkside
This is so much fun -- great idea!

I'm so impressed with you folks who have multiple dogs and those who do the extensive training.

I have Riley (or vice versa.) He's a 10 yo collie whom I got as an approximately 4 month old from collie rescue. He's a real character, generally very well behaved (with a few flaws :) ) and whose training is largely pragmatic. His greatest attribute is he makes me laugh every day.

I've got a number of pictures of Riley (go figure! :biggrin: ) on my website's photos page.

There's also a puppy picture of him on the main site, which you can get to by clicking the third item down under "Appearances and Quick Links" in the right column.

Right now he's under my desk (big dog, not-so-big desk) because he's forecasting thunder somewhere in the Western Hemisphere. Ahhhh, Riley the Weather Dog.

emma

Record Breaker
great pics!!!!!!

I have two dogs, one six years old, and one three, both 'sheperd mixes' (humane society speak for who knows!?!), and don't have any photos on my computer....but i do have a bunch (literally a couple hundred) on another computer....so one of these days I'll copy some and post them here. My oldest is a bit sick right now, but these things happen.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Hi Patricia! The link that was within your post to your Collie didn't work for me, but I *think* I saw a pic of him on your main site link from your signature line.

BLESS YOU for supporting our troops. It must be so hard for our men and women who are deployed, with all the political pros and cons going on. I really believe that most (if not all) of them are just trying to do their job to the best of their ability. I also believe that there is more good stuff going on in Iraq than we EVER see on the news. What can I do to help??

Mean time, here is a story with pics about a dog "Eich" who is serving in Iraq. Same breeder as both of our GSD's. It's easy to forget that dogs as well as humans enter into military service. Eich has a great record. http://www.mittelwest.com/Testimonials.htm

OK Emma. WE WANT PICTURES!!! :love:

DG

Last edited:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
PatriciaMcLinn said:
Right now he's under my desk (big dog, not-so-big desk) because he's forecasting thunder somewhere in the Western Hemisphere. Ahhhh, Riley the Weather Dog.

There are many challenges to self-employment, and I'm not sure is that's your situation. But as far as my situation goes, Dogs In The Office is the BEST benefit!!

LOL - we'll have to trade notes regarding weather forecasts. My first rescue dog Caesar had MAJOR issues with storms, and at the time we lived on the western FL coast line. I swear his legacy lives on, in IL, and that "paws" are a better "weather-o-meter" than a barometer will ever be. :)

DG

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
We had a dachsund when we moved here. My neighbor lady asked what his name was and I told her the kids had named him Leadbelly but he didn't know it. He only answered to Puppy. :rofl: A neighbor's German Shepherd killed him when he was 6 months old.

I had a strange experience last week. We now have a leash law and I had called about a couple of dogs several years ago but hadn't bothered since. Saw a young shepherd that came and was laying in the shade on my back patio. Something just told me to call the police station. It had no collar. When I called the lady told me not to go near the dog as it had bitten an officer the night before.
They came and tried to catch it and couldn't and ended up having to shoot it in my back yard. Sure was upsetting. I suppose they are sending it to have it checked for rabies.

Last edited:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
This is such a great thread! All of your precious doggies are so beautiful. What little angels they are. I wish all dogs could have a loving home. Most of you know about Madelyn, our 3 year old pug. We adopted her almost 2 years ago. She follows me everywhere. I love her so much. I've never had a dog in my family before, even when growing up.

c4fb685b.png

e55bba76.jpg

fde85d1f.png

3bc76115.jpg

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Madelyn is so sweet... I love that second picture of you with her... so sweet!

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Tonichelle said:
Madelyn is so sweet... I love that second picture of you with her... so sweet!
Thanks! My daughter took it. (She takes all the best photos of Madelyn.) It's my very favorite photo of the two of us together. I call it, "Give Mama a Big Wet One!"

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
No new pics of my Corgi, Abbey. Here is one of my niece Candy and her Golden Retriever Miss Norma Jean Smoovy. Candy and Dusty also have a new baby boy Aiden Scott born on June 28 :love: . Smoovy is having a hard time adjusting to little Aiden.

This site is for Abbey's vet Dr. Sette, who Candy works for. Scroll down to meet Candy Dusty, and Smoovy

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Piel said:
No new pics of my Corgi, Abbey. Here is one of my niece Candy and her Golden Retriever Miss Norma Jean Smoovy. Candy and Dusty also have a new baby boy Aiden Scott born on June 28 :love: . Smoovy is having a hard time adjusting to little Aiden.

This site is for Abbey's vet Dr. Sette, who Candy works for. Scroll down to meet Candy Dusty, and Smoovy

Give Abbey a big PET from me! That's a great picture of your niece Candy on the vet site. Is Dusty Candy's hubby? He looks SO much like our trainer Steve who is in the protection shots with Kimba!!!!! Seriously, from that picture they look like brothers!

DG

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Grgranny said:
We had a dachsund when we moved here. My neighbor lady asked what his name was and I told her the kids had named her Leadbelly but she didn't know it. She only answered to Puppy. :rofl: A neighbor's German Shepherd killed him when he was 6 months old.

I had a strange experience last week. We now have a leash law and I had called about a couple of dogs several years ago but hadn't bothered since. Saw a young shepherd that came and was laying in the shade on my back patio. Something just told me to call the police station. It had no collar. When I called the lady told me not to go near the dog as it had bitten an officer the night before.
They came and tried to catch it and couldn't and ended up having to shoot it in my back yard. Sure was upsetting. I suppose they are sending it to have it checked for rabies.

GrGranny, I am so sorry that you have had such bad experiences with German Shepherds. For every responsible breeder, trainer, and owner out there, there seem to be two irresponsible breeders, trainers and owners. NO dogs should be running around loose in a residential area no matter what size or breed. Too much can happen. That must have been terrible to have a dog put down like that in your yard. That would freak me out. I hope you have had (or will have) an opportunity to meet some of the many GOOD shepherds out there who have wonderful and proper temperaments and training, and responsible owners.

DG

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Doggygirl said:
Give Abbey a big PET from me! That's a great picture of your niece Candy on the vet site. Is Dusty Candy's hubby? He looks SO much like our trainer Steve who is in the protection shots with Kimba!!!!! Seriously, from that picture they look like brothers!

DG

Abbey says "Thanks" and is wagging where here tail would be if she had one :laugh:! Dusty is Candy's hubby. He is my sister's son. They are so cute with their baby. For the first few weeks they placed his liitle carrier on the coffee table and and would just look at him like watching TV. Dusty and Candy have an interesting history. Their mothers have been best friends since grade school. After finishing school they each got married, had Candy and Dusty, and both later were divorced. Candy and Dusty started dating when she was in the 10th grade and have been together ever since...13 years now. The moms ended up remarrying brothers. As the Abecrombie & Fitch t-shirt says "In West Virginia everything is relative" :rofl:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Piel, if you email me a photo of Abby, I'll be glad to post it via my photobucket website. We'd all love to see the little sweetie pie! :love: