Sarah Hughes to headline 2005 Marshall's Skate Fests | Golden Skate

Sarah Hughes to headline 2005 Marshall's Skate Fests

Interesting choice. Last year I got the impression that Sasha enjoyed doing these events and that they werte quite successful. I wonder if Sasha was not available this year because of concentrating on pre-Olympic competition, or if Marshall's and USFS decided to go in a different direction.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I wonder if Sasha was not available this year because of concentrating on pre-Olympic competition, or if Marshall's and USFS decided to go in a different direction.

I would go with the former (although it might be the latter, or both). During an Olympic year I don't think she needs to be running around doing things irrelevant to getting adequately prepared for the opportunity of a lifetime. Objectively speaking, she does not have a better shot at Olympic Gold than now.

ETA: Or, maybe Marshall's wanted to select someone who has name power (i.e. Hughes) but isn't competing to be in the Olympics this year so they wouldn't distract those skaters...who knows.

Last edited:

soogar

Record Breaker
Perhaps the USFS won't give Sasha a waiver to participate in the Disson events. Aren't they affiliated with SOI?

Does Steve Disson have anything to do with this? Disson is not mentioned in the USFS article, just the Marshall's sponsorship. You register for the events via the USFS web site.

S

SkateFan4Life

My question is - is Sarah Hughes in any kind of shape to compete? She did not have any her of triples, the last time I watched her skate on television, and she appeared to be out of shape and a noticeably overweight.

Granted, Marshall's isn't exactly the Grand Prix, so it's not a major big deal if Hughes isn't in the best of shape, but as the reigning Olympic champion, I would think she should be able to present herself to the best of her ability. To see the reigning OGM go out and skate a "junior level" program is, frankly, disappointing, in my opinion.

R.D.

Record Breaker
SkateFan4Life said:
My question is - is Sarah Hughes in any kind of shape to compete? She did not have any her of triples, the last time I watched her skate on television, and she appeared to be out of shape and a noticeably overweight.

Granted, Marshall's isn't exactly the Grand Prix, so it's not a major big deal if Hughes isn't in the best of shape, but as the reigning Olympic champion, I would think she should be able to present herself to the best of her ability. To see the reigning OGM go out and skate a "junior level" program is, frankly, disappointing, in my opinion.

The Marshall's Skate Fest is not the same thing as the Marshall's Skating Classic. This is simply a clinic designed to encourage young kids to skate, and improve their skating. She will be helping them out on whatever they might need, and probably signing autographs at the end. You know, the one Cohen did last year.

I'm somewhat surprised to see Sarah do this type of event, but hey- she has name power, and I'm sure kids out there would be dying to have the opportunity to meet and skate with her. Not everyone gets to skate with an Olympic Gold Medalist.

S

SkateFan4Life

Red Dog said:
The Marshall's Skate Fest is not the same thing as the Marshall's Skating Classic. This is simply a clinic designed to encourage young kids to skate, and improve their skating. She will be helping them out on whatever they might need, and probably signing autographs at the end. You know, the one Cohen did last year.

I'm somewhat surprised to see Sarah do this type of event, but hey- she has name power, and I'm sure kids out there would be dying to have the opportunity to meet and skate with her. Not everyone gets to skate with an Olympic Gold Medalist.

OK, thanks for the clarification. In that case, it doesn't matter a whit if Hughes can't land a triple! :biggrin:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Hughes can't land a triple

I never quite understood why "armchair skate fans" make such a big deal over this. Hughes isn't competing anymore is she? Why does it seem to me that skate fans in general seem so bitter towards her? Is it because she won the Olympics? It's not just on this board but many others as well. Not to mention I've seen the same phenomenon with 1998 Olympic champion Tara Lipinski.

And as far as her (Hughes) weight goes, she looks pretty normal to me- just like any other girl on the street. In fact I would probably venture to say that due to her past as an Olympic participant she's in better health overall than your average girl.

S

SkateFan4Life

Red Dog said:
I never quite understood why "armchair skate fans" make such a big deal over this. Hughes isn't competing anymore is she? Why does it seem to me that skate fans in general seem so bitter towards her? Is it because she won the Olympics? It's not just on this board but many others as well. Not to mention I've seen the same phenomenon with 1998 Olympic champion Tara Lipinski.

And as far as her (Hughes) weight goes, she looks pretty normal to me- just like any other girl on the street. In fact I would probably venture to say that due to her past as an Olympic participant she's in better health overall than your average girl.

HELLO! I doubt very much if any of us "armchair skate fans", as you label us, are "bitter" towards Sarah Hughes. I'm sure most of us rejoiced with her glorious victory at Salt Lake City. She skated an amazing long program and became the first woman to land two 3/3/ combinations at the Olympics. My statement that Hughes doesn't have her triples was an honest one, and it was not meant as a slap at her. I thought this event was a competitive one, and I was just questioning, as I have the right to do, why Sarah, as the reigning Olympic champion, would compete when she isn't in competitive shape at this point in time. As it happened, this event is NOT a competitive one, so it doesn't matter whether she can jump triples, doubles, singles, or nothing at all. :biggrin:

R.D.

Record Breaker
SkateFan4Life said:
HELLO! I doubt very much if any of us "armchair skate fans", as you label us, are "bitter" towards Sarah Hughes. I'm sure most of us rejoiced with her glorious victory at Salt Lake City. She skated an amazing long program and became the first woman to land two 3/3/ combinations at the Olympics. My statement that Hughes doesn't have her triples was an honest one, and it was not meant as a slap at her. I thought this event was a competitive one, and I was just questioning, as I have the right to do, why Sarah, as the reigning Olympic champion, would compete when she isn't in competitive shape at this point in time. As it happened, this event is NOT a competitive one, so it doesn't matter whether she can jump triples, doubles, singles, or nothing at all. :biggrin:

Perhaps I should have made it clear that my post was not necessarily directed at you in particular. It's great that you don't think that way but there are others that do. Your comment about her not being able to do a triple (however true that may be) and about her weight just reminded me of all those Sarah threads in the past that turned into bash fests. Usually it starts out with a non-threatening comment like the one you just made. I just didn't want this thread to go downhill like the other ones.

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
Red Dog said:
I never quite understood why "armchair skate fans" make such a big deal over this. Hughes isn't competing anymore is she?

No, but she toured. And if Kristi Yamaguchi could land triples consistently on tour TEN years after her OGM, than I don't think it's reasonable for an audience member to shell out big bucks and expect that a skater who won an OGM two years earlier could hit a triple. Jumps are what audiences like. It's one thing for Witt and Sumners to not hit triples, but entirely another thing for Hughes not to be able to do it.

No bitterness. I felt the same way when I saw Chen Lu touring in 1999 and barely able to pull off clean doubles.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sarah's performances in SOI this past season were not those one would expect of a 19-year-old Olympic champion. She barely eked out two double jumps and a single axle, her layback was slow and labored, and her spiral wobbly. She was visibly out of shape (not just overweight, but physically unable to keep up with the other cast members).

I think fans in general have been disappointed with Sarah rather than annoyed at her for winning the OGM. She hasn't maintained her skating skills, and that showed very much considering that other cast members (Kristi and Yuka) were more than 10 years older than she yet were capable of delivering effortless, clean triple jumps.

euterpe

Medalist
Sarah might find herself out on the ice with skaters who can do a lot more than she can. Wouldn't that be embarrassing!

R.D.

Record Breaker
chuckm said:
Sarah's performances in SOI this past season were not those one would expect of a 19-year-old Olympic champion. She barely eked out two double jumps and a single axle, her layback was slow and labored, and her spiral wobbly. She was visibly out of shape (not just overweight, but physically unable to keep up with the other cast members).

I think fans in general have been disappointed with Sarah rather than annoyed at her for winning the OGM. She hasn't maintained her skating skills, and that showed very much considering that other cast members (Kristi and Yuka) were more than 10 years older than she yet were capable of delivering effortless, clean triple jumps.

With that in mind, I can understand some fans' frustration. Especially if she was one of the feature performers on the stage. But it doesn't surprise me considering that even when she was competing she was visibly slipping, although she did turn in a strong performance for 2nd at nationals that year. I think that with the OGM, her motivation has all but slipped out the window. She seems like she wants to go in a different direction. Will she continue touring? If so, she might want to at least be able to keep up with the other performers and be able to do their tricks.

I'll watch Sarah even if she doesn't skate. What can I say...I'm a guy and she's a babe. Click HERE

So am I. That's a good picture of her. Unfortunately, in some other shots she leaves a lot to be desired...(there was some shot with her holding some ball while doing some routine on the ice)

R.D.

Record Breaker
euterpe said:
Sarah might find herself out on the ice with skaters who can do a lot more than she can. Wouldn't that be embarrassing!

That may be pushing things a LITTLE too far... :frown2:

Gardenkitty

Rinkside
Actually, I think Sarah is a good choice to do these kinds of events. Both the sponsor and the USFSA want as much coverage of these events as possible in order to promote skating (and get Marshalls some good publicity). General news publications are more likely to give coverage to the OGM than to another skater, especially one that while well known in the skating community is less well known by the "non skating" public.

I'm sure the local news crews will have a story about Sarah on the ice with the young kids. I don't know if Sarah gets paid for them, but it's not that much of a time commitment and the USFSA will certainly appreciate her assistance (which can't hurt Emily Hughes). Plus, I think these kinds of events would genuinely be fun for the elite skater who'd get to help all these young skaters or at least give them a chance to meet an Olympic medalist.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Gardenkitty said:
Actually, I think Sarah is a good choice to do these kinds of events. Both the sponsor and the USFSA want as much coverage of these events as possible in order to promote skating (and get Marshalls some good publicity). General news publications are more likely to give coverage to the OGM than to another skater, especially one that while well known in the skating community is less well known by the "non skating" public.

I'm sure the local news crews will have a story about Sarah on the ice with the young kids. I don't know if Sarah gets paid for them, but it's not that much of a time commitment and the USFSA will certainly appreciate her assistance (which can't hurt Emily Hughes). Plus, I think these kinds of events would genuinely be fun for the elite skater who'd get to help all these young skaters or at least give them a chance to meet an Olympic medalist.

ITA, in fact I'd venture to say that she is a better choice than Cohen?