Photo of Peggy Fleming with 1968 Gold Medal | Golden Skate

Photo of Peggy Fleming with 1968 Gold Medal

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I read her book. She seems like a very nice wholesome woman, a totally different image she gives out than some other women champions divas.

S

SkateFan4Life

Great shot, Idleracer! I remember that moment very well. It was a great triumph for Peggy, her family, coaches, and the USA. That was the first tiem the Olympics were telecast in color, and her chartreuse dress made a stunning fashion statement.

That's Gabrielle Seyfert, of East Germany, wearing the silver medal. The bronze medalist was Hana Maskova of Czeckoslavkia, who, tragically, was killed in an automobile accident about two years after winning that medal.

S

SkateFan4Life

slutskayafan21 said:
I read her book. She seems like a very nice wholesome woman, a totally different image she gives out than some other women champions divas.

I read Peggy Fleming's book, "The Long Program - Skating Towards Life's Victories", too. It's an interesting read - thoughtful, down-to-earth, and candid. She comes across as a warm, caring, genuine person. Thank Heavens she's won the battle with breast cancer. I still remember the shock of hearing her diagnosis - given during the 1998 Nagano Olympics. Peggy underwent surgery exactly 30 years to the day she won her Olympic gold medal.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Thanks for the links to the photos. She was the one brought me into watching figure skating. It was more than twenty years ago when I first watched some of her FS special show through first generation of color TV in China. And I believe it was the first time China TV even air figure skating programs....It's be a long time since.

S

SkateFan4Life

mzheng said:
Thanks for the links to the photos. She was the one brought me into watching figure skating. It was more than twenty years ago when I first watched some of her FS special show through first generation of color TV in China. And I believe it was the first time China TV even air figure skating programs....It's be a long time since.

I remember watching Peggy's television special that was filmed in China - many years ago. It was groundbreaking television at that time, and she skated beautifully, as always.