Dick Button Competition Photo Gallery | Golden Skate

Dick Button Competition Photo Gallery

S

SkateFan4Life

Here's a link to several shots of the young Dick Button in Olympic competition. He won seven US titles, five World titles, and two Olympic gold medals. Dick was the first skater to complete a double axel in competition (1948) and he became the first skater to complete a triple jump (loop) in competition (1952).
Way to go, Dick! :clap:

http://www.olympic.org/uk/athletes/heroes/bio_uk.asp?PAR_I_ID=70096

76olympics

On the Ice
Boy, Dick was a high flier, wasn't he? I love those outside jumping pics. Has anyone ever seen a complete program of Dick's on any television retrospective? I have seen snippets (Magic Memories I)--but it would be beyond grand to see a full program.

I would have never even thought to ask this question-but someone recently posted full performance at Nationals by Tenley Albright, Carol Heiss, etc on FSvids. They were filmed live on the scene by a Mr. Craker over a wide period of time (up to Roz Sumners). These were so fascinating. I really enjoyed them and couldn't believe I was actually seeing these. Evidently, his son-in-law put them on videotape and sold them through an ads in the back of skating mags in the early 1980s. The lady who contributed them bought them though they were so expensive that she could only afford the ladies and had to eat lean a couple of months to get those.

He was selling American National performances by men, pairs and ice dance also, I think. I wonder if Dick and the Jenkins brothers were featured. I would love to see a full program!

S

SkateFan4Life

76olympics said:
Boy, Dick was a high flier, wasn't he? I love those outside jumping pics. Has anyone ever seen a complete program of Dick's on any television retrospective? I have seen snippets (Magic Memories I)--but it would be beyond grand to see a full program.

I would have never even thought to ask this question-but someone recently posted full performance at Nationals by Tenley Albright, Carol Heiss, etc on FSvids. They were filmed live on the scene by a Mr. Craker over a wide period of time (up to Roz Sumners). These were so fascinating. I really enjoyed them and couldn't believe I was actually seeing these. Evidently, his son-in-law put them on videotape and sold them through an ads in the back of skating mags in the early 1980s. The lady who contributed them bought them though they were so expensive that she could only afford the ladies and had to eat lean a couple of months to get those.

He was selling American National performances by men, pairs and ice dance also, I think. I wonder if Dick and the Jenkins brothers were featured. I would love to see a full program!

Dick loved to skate outdoors. He said (to paraphrase), "There's nothing better than jumping outdoors. You get such a rush of adrenalin and such spring in your takeoffs." I've seen footage of Button skating in the Alps. The scenery was spectacular, and so was his skating. Lots of jumping, spinning, and it was obvious Dick was having a blast skating outdoors.