Frank Carroll Still Not Fully Recovered | Golden Skate

Frank Carroll Still Not Fully Recovered

IDLERACER

Medalist
It was quite hot out here in Los Angeles today, so I paid a visit to the Healthsouth center to cool off. There was nothing really new going on. Lot's of skaters practicing on the ice, including Yebin Mok and Danielle Kahle.

The one thing I did make a mental note of, is that Frank Carroll for the most part, now teaches while sitting down. He occasionally will rise to discuss something with whomever he's coaching, but only for very short periods. His chair is located at one of the openings in the wall (boards) so that he can see everything that's going on. :eek:hwell:

jesslily

Final Flight
I have seen many healthy and younger coaches sitting in the chairs to teach....or most times never had skates on...standing behind the board...

Jhar55

Medalist
Please refreash my mind what kind of injury did Frank have?
I remember he had some kind of accident last year can't remember what.

S

SkateFan4Life

I certainly hope Frank Carroll has covered from his hip injury. As we all know, the older you are, the longer it typically takes to recover from broken bones and other injuries. Carroll must be in hs 70s by now, I think.

At first glance at the title of this thread, I thought this was in reference to Frank's not "recovering" from Linda Fratianne not winning Olympic gold in 1980. I'm almost glad the subject is about broken bones, which tend to heal quicker than grudges and hurt feelings!

76olympics

On the Ice
And then there is the Christopher Bowman odyssey! He left a great deal of havoc in his wake. I remember that Carroll said in one book that he looked (and felt )10 years younger after Christopher flew his training coop (or rather was ejected after Frank went through hellacious lengths trying to coach the uncoachable). I always remember one phrase: "let's see you get red in the face" in reference to the torment Bowman was very good at dishing out.

Eeyora

Final Flight
Sad to hear I hope he recovers soon. His coaching has contributed to the sport a great deal.

pipsqueak

Rinkside
Thanks for report

Thanks for the report, Idleracer, I'd just been wondering whether Frank was doing "OK" or not. I'd heard that his hip was healing, but that along the way to recovery, he'd developed some sort of tendonitis (in shoulders) or something from using the crutches. I guess I now see why some people use those funny looking "walkers" instead of crutches or canes. I'd never known why, and now I do. Anywho, I'd not heard a "followup" on his progress. It's a very dicey thing when anyone--old or young---breaks a hip or femur. All along, I've been surprised that he didn't "retire". I don't think he's "needed" to work for some years now. I've gained new respect for his love of the sport and love of teaching by watching his example through his injury and the recovery process.

Fozzie Bear

On the Ice
Lot's of skaters practicing on the ice, including Yebin Mok and Danielle Kahle.
Does this mean that Yebin is still going to compete? I remember reading somewhere that she quit skating. Her official website is down too. I really hope she is still skating--she's wonderful she is. :yes:

Thanks, Idleracer.

Best wishes to Frank and all of his skaters this season!