hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
Just saw this on Jeff's website:

2005/06 Music
Short Program: Sing, Sing, Sing by Louis Prima
Long Program: tribute to Canadian pianist Glenn Gould

If you scroll down a bit, he says a few things about his new programs:

http://www.jeffbuttle.ca.tc/

I'm going to have to pull out my Louis Prima and Glenn Gould CDs. I'm really curious about his long - is it music performed by Glenn Gould or music inspired by him??? I can't wait to see them!!!

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

antmanb

Record Breaker
hrmsk8ngnutt said:

2005/06 Music

Do you think Timmy will be feeling nervous - to have chosen the same music that Jeff's chosen for the SP? I am just being facetious because Jeff explains on the website that's its not the version we all know and love - its the original and includes scatting! How cool! Can't wait to see this!

Ant

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
"scatting" means singing. I thought vocals were forbidden for singles and pairs skating.

tdnuva

On the Ice
chuckm said:
"scatting" means singing. I thought vocals were forbidden for singles and pairs skating.
Afaik scatting is not singing in the typical sense. No words.

I think scatting is just another instrument in music and specifically for jazz. The words, if you call them that, are kind of like gibberish. I wouldn't consider them singing.

This should be quite an interesting piece and by David Wilson - whoooooa. Timmy, I hope Tarassova gave you something special.

For the long, I think this will compete with Johnny Weir. Gould was an exceptional pianist, albeit neurotic, ranked up there with the greatest of all times. If it is his playing (with gloves, of course) there will be a battle for who is the most lyrical.

Just thinking of this wants me to just watch the performances alone in a private showing. It will be Buttle/Wilson v. Weir/Tarrasova. Now we are talking great competition with or without quads.

Joe

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Partial clip of Buttle's SP

There was recently a Gala where Jeff debuted his SP to Sing Sing Sing. A short clip (about the last 50 seconds) of that debut is available for download on www.jeffbuttle.com. It took me a bit to figure out that I had to register on the site in order to access the "downloads" section. (save yourself some time with navigation and just register as soon as you get there) If you have the time and really want to see it, there's part of it.

DG

Last edited:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Buttle looked a bit cramped in that tiny arena with show lighting. I'm looking forward to seeing this program when it has time and space to breathe.

Glenn Gould -- the music could be anything, but I've never heard anything played by Gould that didn't have a specific vision and clear rhythm. He was chastised --even vilified -- for some of his interpretations, particularly of Mozart for "straying" from the composer's intention, and, in the case of contemporary composers, not getting it at all on occasion. But he was a pioneer of the studio, way ahead of his time. Had he lived past 50, he would have been over the moon with the current technology. It's really too bad voice is banned for singles; his studio production of a series on the Canadian North was remarkable. Gould's premature death, like William Kappell's, was a great loss for classical music performance.

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
chuckm said:
As long as the vocal isn't lyrics, then it's permitted. Maria Butyrskaya used Sarah Brightman's Scene d'Amour for her SP in 2000 and 2001. At one competition, Tracy Wilson pointed out that the music was allowed because Sarah Brightman's voice was used as an instrument and wasn't singing actual words. B/S used Concerto for Coloratura for their 99 LP - again, the voice is an instrument and not singing words.

Now I really can't wait to get home after work to pull my Louis Prima CD and listen to Sing Sing Sing!!! It's been a while since I've listened to it so I'm having a hard time remembering it right now.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
hrmsk8ngnutt said:

2005/06 Music

If you scroll down a bit, he says a few things about his new programs:

http://www.jeffbuttle.ca.tc/

I'm going to have to pull out my Louis Prima and Glenn Gould CDs. I'm really curious about his long - is it music performed by Glenn Gould or music inspired by him??? I can't wait to see them!!!

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

Cool! This music should suit Jeff perfectly. Jeff's programs are always intersting and a perfect match for the music. I am sure there will be no similarities with his short program and Tim Gs.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Glenn Gould was known for his passionate (too passionate, some said) interpretations of Bach. I wonder if Jeff will go with some of Gould's 'notorious' piano transposings of the Back Brandenburg Concerti???

Antilles

Medalist
I have a question about using music with vocals/lyrics in competitive programs. What would happen if a skater did use a program containing lyrics? Would there simply be a deduction from their score, or could they actually be disqulaified from the competition? If it's just a deduction, is it significant enough to esnure a lower placing for that skater?

screech

Final Flight
Antilles said:
I have a question about using music with vocals/lyrics in competitive programs. What would happen if a skater did use a program containing lyrics? Would there simply be a deduction from their score, or could they actually be disqulaified from the competition? If it's just a deduction, is it significant enough to esnure a lower placing for that skater?

Skaters would receive a bit of a deduction (probably -1 from the total score for the program), but vocals are allowed, as long as they are not in a language. like something like a bit of 'ooooooooo' is allowed.

The gala where Jeff skated his SP was at the Mariposa Gala in Barrie last Thursday. He skated to his new SP and Ave Maria (with a young mentally challenged boy singing it).

I saw the clip of the SP. It didn't particulary do anything for me, but I'm still anxious to see the whole thing, The Sing Sing Sing that Jeff's skating to though isn't the one that everyone is familiar with it. It's got some different parts in it. Like in the clip at jeffbuttle.com, there's a small bit where there's Yankee Doodle in it. So it's very different.

I'm definitely excited to see the Glenn Gould program. I had to watch '32 Short Films about Glenn Gould' in a film class 2 years ago (Colm Feore rocks in it!) and I absolutely loved it. So yay!

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I just love the music, Sing, Sing, Sing. I remember they let Katerina Witt use
her own voice like that in the 94 (I think) Olympics in her salute to Sarajevo. (sic)

S

SkateFan4Life

antmanb said:
Do you think Timmy will be feeling nervous - to have chosen the same music that Jeff's chosen for the SP? I am just being facetious because Jeff explains on the website that's its not the version we all know and love - its the original and includes scatting! How cool! Can't wait to see this!

Ant

Why should Timothy Goebel feel nervous about Jeff Buttle's selection of music? I think these music choices can work very, very well for both men. You go, guys!
Both have great jumps, and (I hope in Goebel's case) that they have interesting choreography to compliment their music.

screech

Final Flight
Jeff's and Tim's versions are completely different. Tim's is the Benny Goodman one that we've heard time and time again, and Jeff's is a bit of a jazzier version.

brad640

On the Ice
SkateFan4Life said:
Why should Timothy Goebel feel nervous about Jeff Buttle's selection of music?
I can think of many reasons, but the most significant is the night-and-day difference in interpretive abilities. Jeff's interpretation is the best in skating, and on a scale of 1-10 for interpretation, Buttle is literally near a 10. Tim is a zero when it comes to interpretation, and the comparison to Buttle will make that painfully obvious yet again.

Joesitz said:
whoooooa. Timmy, I hope Tarassova gave you something special.
:rofl: :rofl:

Last edited:

lotusland

On the Ice
Just watched Jeff's Sing, Sing, Sing tonight at the Thornhill Summer Competition. Couple of comments.

It was not a jump night for Jeff. He tried Quad Toe, popped it turning the jump into 2Toe/2Toe, he then fell on a slightly cheated 3Axel. Personally, I think the jump problems put Jeff off a bit because he really wasn't 100% on anything after the axel. That aside, yes there is alot of scatting in the piece. I was told by David Wilson he was originally unsure about the voicing but the music has been played for the appropriate/necessary officials and they have given it a nod of approval. So no problem with the voicing.

As always, there are alot of interesting Wilson transitions throughout the piece and, if Jeff lands the jumps, the whole thing would seem quite light and seamless. Because the music is not the big band version, it has a more singular, airy feel to it, not at all overwhelming or overpowering inspite of the scatting (which does come as a surprise to the audience).

And finally, on a personal note, I much prefer last season's Take 5, however that said, everyone to their own. But, what I really dislike about the Sing, Sing, Sing short program is that the entire 2:50 is staged to the judges. All the posturing, facial expressions, hand movements, the cutsy wootsies etc. are played to the judging panel, the veiwing audience sees nothing but Jeff's backside and as a result the audience misses the performance in the performance. :frown2:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Thanks for the review Lotusland...

I'm sorry to hear that this particular presentation must have been so-so - hope the jumps improve before the season gets into full swing. I'm disappointed about over-mugging the judges. Has Jeff done a lot of that in the past? I have to admit that I haven't seen hardly any of Jeff's skating up until last year, and then it was mainly his LP that was televised several times. Judge mugging seems quite different from the style we saw last year, doesn't it?? (maybe my memory isn't serving me well)

DG

Julie O

Rinkside
I'll have to look at my tapes of Jeff to see how much of his programs are truly directed at the judges. I was at the Mariposa show, and didn't pick up on a one-sided performance there. I did love his Sing! Sing! Sing! It was fast, and very dancey, which of course he's wonderful at.
DG, you're right, it is now very rare to see any short programs on TV. :frown2:
Fortunately I have a Canadian satellite dish that I'll re-activate in October. I hope Skate Canada is broadcast by CTV, and that they show the short programs, because that is probably the only comp where we'll catch short programs on TV until the Olympics. And I am somewhat worried about US TV's coverage of them. No real reason I should feel that way, I guess. It's just that ABC's diminution of the whole sport could influence NBC's decisions on what to show. On the other hand, CBC should be fine, and should show them, especially Jeff's lol.
I'll point out my own....thread drift...! :rolleye:

Julie