Robin Cousin's Outdoor Ice Show | Golden Skate

Robin Cousin's Outdoor Ice Show

S

SkateFan4Life

Here's a link to the Sunday Times article (December 4, 2004) concerning 1980 Olympic gold medal winner Robin Cousin's opening the first-ever outdoor skating show in Scotland.

Granted, this isn't exactly "news", but it's a nice piece on Cousins, the "Golden Boy of Lake Placid".

I've seen him skate in person and on television during his heyday, and was he ever fantastic! His single axel practically took off in flight, his death drop was huge, his spins were crisp, clean, and innovative, and his choreography, IMHO, was in a class by itself.

Great show, Robin! :clap: :clap:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2090-1386094,00.html

NansXOXOX

Final Flight
Terrific article on Robin. I'm happy to see he is still active in producing skating shows and really wish I could see this one. :yes:

Nan

heyang

Record Breaker
Didn't Robin produce Improv Ice for USA Network? It was a pro-am where each skater randomly picked a piece of music out of a hat and had 2 hours to make a routine?

I remember Nancy was not happy with her pick of opera. Surya got a country song. Todd got 'Who let the dogs out?' and it was great seeing him doing something different that really showed his personality - it was the 1st program of his where I enjoyed him as a person with a great sense of humor. Kristi got lucky with the shortest piece of music, which was a Louis Armstrong number that was easy for her to enjoy.

I think there were 2 of these...

Germanice

On the Ice
I always loved Improv Ice because skaters HAD to improvise and to skate something different for a change (at least if they're "lucky" enough to chose the "wrong" music...). :rock: How I wish it would come back!

Anke

Kasey

Medalist
Germanice said:
I always loved Improv Ice because skaters HAD to improvise and to skate something different for a change (at least if they're "lucky" enough to chose the "wrong" music...). :rock: How I wish it would come back!

Anke

Ditto! I wish so much it would come back as well. We got Mike Weiss doing opera, Alexei with Harry Connick music...I'm spacing on what some others did, but it was some great skating. I would love to see the format back again!

Germanice

On the Ice
Kasey said:
Ditto! I wish so much it would come back as well. We got Mike Weiss doing opera, Alexei with Harry Connick music...I'm spacing on what some others did, but it was some great skating. I would love to see the format back again!
Yeah, and one of the greatest moments was Kurt's version of "Meditation", everytime I think about it, I'm still :rofl: !!!

Anke

Julie O

Rinkside
These were absolutely fun shows! There may have been three of them. Robin even had some pairs doing improvs! It was great fun to watch the skaters formed into teams to do two big finales at the end, competing for audience applause of course! The leaders of the teams, like Frank Sweiding, were wired for sound as the group skated. Tara Lipinski choreographed her team's program in one of the shows.

Those were the golden years of skating on TV....sigh.....

Julie

NansXOXOX

Final Flight
I remember how impressed the commentators were with Alexei skating against so many skaters that were a bit older than he was at the time. They said that most of the skaters had a larger bag of "tricks" to pull form but since Alexei was so much younger, he didn't have as much in his "toolbox" to chose from. I never thought of a skaters jumps and spins and footwork as "tools" of their trade before that and I liked the analogy.

Wasn't one of these competitions where Alexei's "Stand By Me" routine originated?

Nan

My favorite was when Surya Bonaly drew a cowboy song. But she had brought a huge trunk full of costumes, to be ready for anything, so she whipped out a cowboy hat and away she went! :laugh:

Also, there was the time that Todd Eldredge got stuck with "Who Let the Dog's Out?" :laugh:

S

SkateFan4Life

NansXOXOX said:
Terrific article on Robin. I'm happy to see he is still active in producing skating shows and really wish I could see this one. :yes:

Nan

IMHO, any show Robin Cousins produces would be outstanding - how could it be otherwise? The guy is a genius, plain and simple! :clap: