Harding/Kerrigan Saga Timeline | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Harding/Kerrigan Saga Timeline

Jhar55

Medalist
I thingk they gave gold to Oksana only because of the Nancy & Tanya, the OC took the easy way out by not giving the medal th either girl to send some king of message.

Jhar55 said:
I thingk they gave gold to Oksana only because of the Nancy & Tanya, the OC took the easy way out by not giving the medal th either girl to send some king of message.
I don't get it. What message would they be sending Nancy -- don't be the victim of a crime?

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
Jhar55 said:

LOL! Then how do you explain that Kerrigan almost won it by a sliver of a point? If your theory was correct, it would have been a decisive victory with more judges giving the nod to Oksana. But that's not what happened. Don't think for one minute the ISU weren't peeing their pants with joy over the increased media attention to the sport. It cost them nothing as the scandal didn't involve the ISU directly (Unlike the SLC judging scandal, which pointed an unflattering light on THEMSELVES).

IF (and I say "if") the judges were influenced by anything, it would have been over the fact that Oksana skated well despite having crashed into another skater, rather than the media attention generated from Kerrigan/Harding. But I even question that given the close marks they recieved.

S

SkateFan4Life

Jhar55 said:

What message?? That's totally ridiculous logic. I agree with the other posters who commented on this. First of all, the ISU was probably secretly jumping cartwheels at the prospect of so much media attention to their sport. The media came and covered the women's figure skating competition to the saturation point, and the television ratings went over the roof. Secondly, do you think the OC was telling Kerrigan that it was somehow her fault that she was the victim of the attack? Please, give me a break. If the OC was really, really "angry" at both Kerrigan and Harding, then explain why Bauil won the gold medal in a very close 5/4 decision?