Thread: What is it with American HYPE?

Hybrid View

What is it with American HYPE?

I know most of it is with a new movie soon to be released (Cruise, Hanks, Travolta) but the hype organized by the agent to rub it in just grates on me.

The worst "STAR", and I use that term lightly, is Sarah Jessica Parker. She has to be the most overhyped celebrity in America today. There were three other gals in that HBO show, and one never heard about any of them until the show's last season. Sarah seems to be everwhere and not connected to publicizing any new movie or tv show. She's home with Matt and the baby, she is at every function in the NY area. She's at every award show nominated or not.
    Everything she does, is done by other celebrities, too, but other celebrities do not get the fanfare. She makes headlines.

Other "STARS" I see as overhyped: Hudson, Paltrow.

Who are you tired of seeing everywhere?

Joe

Paris Hilton. There are a lot of people born into wealth and many of them do not achieve the same level of glamor as Paris for having done not much. I think she and her sister have a successful business together, but she's famous for being a rich party girl - not a savvy business person.

At least SJP has a talent that she's leveraging. She was the star of Sex In the City. I think her co-stars just didn't hire the right management. Kristin Davis (Charlotte) was remembered for her roles on Melrose Place and SIC. Kim Cattrell was the star in Mannequin, a vulcan in one of the Star Trek movies and SIC. SIC was Cynthia Nixon's biggest role. I think SJP is marketed more in NYC than other areas - due to SIC she became the quintessional New Yorker in the media's eyes. She's really not a bad role model - she was the only one of the 4 who did not do nude scenes and she has a seemingly happy marriage and young child.

On the Ice
    Hype equals money. Money for the "stars", producers, television shows, movies, etc. People are anesthetizing themselves with "entertainment", that is, when they have the time to relax from their second or third job. If we are drugged on hype, we can't pay attention to whatt is really going on in the world. Whenever I see a fluff piece on the front page of my local newspaper, I wonder what it is that they really don't want us to know about, to the extent that they felt the need to fill the space with fluffy hype.

The latest hyped "celebrity" is Peter Jennings. May he rest in peace, but do we really need hours and hours of how he was God's gift to newsgathering? IMHO. :sheesh:

Quote Originally Posted by Skatehappy
    The latest hyped "celebrity" is Peter Jennings. May he rest in peace, but do we really need hours and hours of how he was God's gift to newsgathering? IMHO. :sheesh:
    That was not what I meant by hype, and I think it is in bad taste to label a dead person as having hype because he/she is dead. :sheesh:

The reason I brought the subject up was to see comments on the hype show biz people get. I have long been reading about figure skaters having hype with disdain by fans of other skaters, but not with other sports or show biz personalities.

Should hype be so annoying? I would say YES in the case of Parker, whom I don't see as a great talent. Yet, what appears to be hype for Kimmie, doesn't bother me, and I am not an overly zealous fan of Kimmie.

I do remember the interrupted ABC newscast that a Tara Lipinski was credited with 2 triple jumps while in juniors and at such an early age. BTW, she came in second. hmmm

Joe

The coffee shop down at the corner of my street has a sign: "The best cup of coffee in town."

I tried one. It was only ordinary.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    That was not what I meant by hype, and I think it is in bad taste to label a dead person as having hype because he/she is dead. :sheesh:
    I meant no offense, and I aplogize to Mr. Jennings' survivors.

Back to hype, it is a big distraction to real life, and we can easily become hooked due to hype. I am a fan of Stargate SG-1 (I don't know if that cable show is hyped or not). But do I really want to spend all Monday evening watching back-to-back episodes, as it is shown here?

Hype sells. It used to be called publicity, and as someone once said, there's no such thing as bad publicity. I think that hypsters still believe that, and that in the age of instant information, hype has grown into a monster.

A current gripe hype is the book, "The DaVinci Code". The book has been hyped for years, and hype for the movie is already growing, even though it won't be released until next Summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Skatehappy
    Hype sells. It used to be called publicity, and as someone once said, there's no such thing as bad publicity. I think that hypsters still believe that, and that in the age of instant information, hype has grown into a monster.
    Yet many skating fans seem to be upset about hype. How many complaints can Kimmie get?

A current gripe hype is the book, "The DaVinci Code". The book has been hyped for years, and hype for the movie is already growing, even though it won't be released until next Summer.
    Like Gone With The Wind hype.

The movie has been cleansed of any reference to Opus Dei which is central to the yarn so as not to offend anyone. So it will be an ordinary chase movie.

Joe
    Last edited by Joesitz; 08-15-2005 at 07:28 AM.

The worst "STAR", and I use that term lightly, is Sarah Jessica Parker. She has to be the most overhyped celebrity in America today.
    I agree that all the actresses of Sex and the City were fantastic, but I don't think SJP is overhyped. Sex and the City was one of the all time great comedy series, and will only become more appreciated over time. She has been a star almost her entire life, having played Annie on broadway, and she has many loyal fans from her teen days on Square Pegs and Girls Just Wanna Have Fun. Also, part of her continuing celebrity status is due to her trend-setting fashion, like when she cemented her fashion icon status at the NYC ballet benefit where she changed several times into different Oscar de la Renta gowns.

Generally, I enjoy the hype du jour, and I am especially excited about the hype for new stars like Terrence Howard of Hustle and Flow and Amy Adams of Junebug.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    I know most of it is with a new movie soon to be released (Cruise, Hanks, Travolta) but the hype organized by the agent to rub it in just grates on me.

The worst "STAR", and I use that term lightly, is Sarah Jessica Parker. She has to be the most overhyped celebrity in America today. There were three other gals in that HBO show, and one never heard about any of them until the show's last season. Sarah seems to be everwhere and not connected to publicizing any new movie or tv show. She's home with Matt and the baby, she is at every function in the NY area. She's at every award show nominated or not.
    Everything she does, is done by other celebrities, too, but other celebrities do not get the fanfare. She makes headlines.

Other "STARS" I see as overhyped: Hudson, Paltrow.

Who are you tired of seeing everywhere?

Joe
    Ben Afflick and JLo were hyped to adnausea - the now defunct couple made a couple of movies here in British Columbia; All we heard was Bennifer and where they were seen.

Todd Bertuzzi and Steve Moore. All we heard from the hockey world - aside from the strike all last season. Give it a rest.

A. Y. & E. P.: Tzars Of The Ice, Lords Of The Rink anya_angie's Avatar
    I think Anne's ad saying she approved of the movie after previously saying she didn't agree with the casting choice for Lestat helped it too. My favorite character in that movie after Louis is Armand, then Santiago.